Double GB promotion and data package question

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am excited about the 4GB for $30 and may consider switching from Sprint. Due to the nature of any changes to a data plan in the future and the promotion going away, there is the potential for losing the double data. I am curious how the data and hotspot plans work.

If I were to get the $30 4GB data option now and at some point after the promotion ends, I want to add the hotspot option to my line. Is the hotspot option an entirely new data option or a bolt on to an existing data option?

For example, does Verizon list the base $30 data package and separately a $20 hotspot option or is it one option at $50 for data/hotspot?

Thanks for your input.

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
i am looking at switching to verizon and this is a big thing for me, how long will this promotion go on? will it last as long as i have my account? will it still be here the end of the month when my current contract is up?

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am excited about the 4GB for $30 and may consider switching from Sprint. Due to the nature of any changes to a data plan in the future and the promotion going away, there is the potential for losing the double data. I am curious how the data and hotspot plans work.

If I were to get the $30 4GB data option now and at some point after the promotion ends, I want to add the hotspot option to my line. Is the hotspot option an entirely new data option or a bolt on to an existing data option?

For example, does Verizon list the base $30 data package and separately a $20 hotspot option or is it one option at $50 for data/hotspot?

Thanks for your input.

My understanding is the mobile hot spot is an add on. You can take it away at any time. The double data can go away at any time but I feel it'll stay probably until you change your plan.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
i am looking at switching to verizon and this is a big thing for me, how long will this promotion go on? will it last as long as i have my account? will it still be here the end of the month when my current contract is up?

I would like to think it'll last as long as you keep the plan but I could be wrong.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You have to buy a 4G phone to get the 4GB of data for $30. If you do and you get the 4GB of data then it will be the length of your two year contract. The promotion at this point and time is only going until the end of the month. Also, the hotspot feature is an add on feature that you can add on or take off at any time.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is the mobile hot spot is an add on. You can take it away at any time. The double data can go away at any time but I feel it'll stay probably until you change your plan.

If you are already on grandfathered unlimited, the 4G Mobile Hotspot is a separate feature and can be added and removed without requiring a change to the original data plan.

However, this doesn't apply to the OP since he isn't grandfathered and would be a new customer.

Verizon Wireless has separate data plans with mobile hotspot and without mobile hotspot for 4G devices.

Currently, they offer the following plans that are double data (promo) with no mobile hotspot.

$30 for 4 GB
$50 for 10 GB
$80 for 20 GB

They also offer the following plans that include mobile hotspot and are increased because of the double data promo.

$50 for 6 GB (used to be 4 GB)
The new plan allows for 4 GB of regular smartphone data and 2 GB Mobile Hotspot

$70 for 12 GB (used to be 7 GB)
****This plan allows for the full 12 GB to be used as either smartphone or hotspot IIRC

$100 for 22 GB (used to be 12 GB)
****This plan allows for the full 22 GB to be used as either smartphone or hotspot IIRC

What I am not completely sure about are the last 2 plans and how they allow for hotspot to be used.
I am sure that the 6GB plan has a 2 GB cap for hotspot with additional GB billed at $10

It sucks for the OP because if he has the basic $30 plan for 4 GB and wants to add Mobile Hotspot after the promo has expired, he would have to switch plans and pay $50 for a 4 GB plan that includes 2 GB Mobile Hotspot.

It's great if your grandfathered, of course, because you can keep unlimited data plan and add or remove $30 4G Mobile Hotspot at will for the time being, so you can basically pay $1 per day on the days that you want to use it and during that day you are able to have unlimited usage by virtue of being grandfathered.

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After some research and talking to multiple store reps, there is some flexibility in the data plans.

So, if you get the double promo at $30 for 4GB you can later 'bolt on' a 2GB hotspot plan for $20 and remove it without affecting the double promo.

There is also a 'combined' option of 6GB for $50. If you want the ability to add and remove the hotspot option, make sure that they are coded separately ($30 and $20).

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I have talked with three stores and they have all told me that as long as you don't switch data plans or go to a 3G device, that you will continue just like the unlimited folks.

Sent from my EVO 3D

I talked with the verizon rep for my store and then her boss and they both said it was just for the term of the contract. Then if you upgraded to something else then you would have to change your data plan.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

The hotspot is a plan add on yes and can be added and removed at any time by the user yes. Unless you are grand-parented in on an unlimited data plan your hotspot will not be unlimited however.

As for the double your data plan it is good through a date in January (I forget what it was) and you have that long to add it to your account, however since it is a special plan code you will get to keep it until you yourself remove it.

This is a great time to switch from Sprint if that is what you want to do.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I talked with the verizon rep for my store and then her boss and they both said it was just for the term of the contract. Then if you upgraded to something else then you would have to change your data plan.

Whomever you talked to was misinformed. Upgrading does not take your plan or features away. You get to keep them for the foreseeable future even if you upgrade.

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Waiting for the Galaxy Nexus and then I will make the switch. I have been thinking about the Rezound for now and then if I still want the Nexus I could pay the $35. Decision, decisions :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So what the hell is the point? it makes no sense to run the promotion if it's for only for one contractual period unless you're misinformed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12