Verizon to Abolish Any Semblance of Unlimited Data for 4G

What do you think this will mean.

• Total voters

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Has been posted somewhere else before and I'll break it down for you like I broke it down for them.
1. In due time, ALL carriers will have tiered pricing
2. Verizon is still #1 and if not that #2 (AT&T being 1 in that case)
3. The tiered data plans will be cheaper than the current unlimited plan. <<<FACT
4. And just like 3G, VZW 4G (LTE) will blow Sprint out the water.

I seriously wish you guys stop carrier bashing and just enjoy the phone. Geez...Sprint was never a major player and never will be so stop downplaying other carriers like Sprint is the best. They have cheap plans. Wow! Congrats! You're paying $200 for a phone and you're trying to be cheap with your plans? Get over it. Remember the old saying...you get what you pay for.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Has been posted somewhere else before and I'll break it down for you like I broke it down for them.
3. The tiered data plans will be cheaper than the current unlimited plan. <<<FACT

I seriously wish you guys stop carrier bashing and just enjoy the phone. Geez...Sprint was never a major player and never will be so stop downplaying other carriers like Sprint is the best. They have cheap plans. Wow! Congrats! You're paying $200 for a phone and you're trying to be cheap with your plans? Get over it. Remember the old saying...you get what you pay for.

I can't afford Verizon's plans. I prefer Sprint. And what makes you think that LTE will blow Wimax out of the water?

Prkl8r

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think sprint will stick with its all inclusive plans as it has been the main reason that they have stopped hemorrhaging customers. I have been with sprint for over 10 years, and have yet to have a problem. If I have no reason to leave, why leave? Sprint may not be a "major player", but I get service where ever I go so it's major enough for me.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
w
Were i live i get great coverage from any provider. Sprint being the best price wise. Plus if i ever travel i can always roam onto Verizon's network ;)

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if consumer electronic devices (DVD/BR players, refrigerators, thermostats, gameboy/PSP, cameras, etc) end up with LTE since it is controlled by 3GPP (the telcom industry).

CE device makers are tied into IEEE, which controls WiFi and WiMAX. If WiMAX fails, LTE may stunt the possibilities of all kinds of devices with 4G as 3GPP is not friendly with IEEE. IEEE is a more open, more consumer friendly than 3GPP. If WiFi (or ethernet) were under control of 3GGP, it would never have become this ubiquitous.

I suspect that Sprint will eventually convert the CDMA network to LTE, still tied into the telcom industry. They will continue to have a foot in WiMAX but it will be an IEEE/cable industry thing and does have it's place. It's a growth opportunity for Sprint that the other carriers are not taking.

I hope to so both WiMAX and LTE in the long term. As consumers, we should want WiMAX to survive. We'd likely see far more consumer electronic devices on 4G.

xSIN1134x

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Sprint never being a player is a joke! How long have you had any kind of cell phone "little one"? They just let themselves go. They "were" the best about 10 years ago and "had" the best handsets...

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Lol the hell you smoking? Sprint is like the 3rd wireless telecom behind VZW and AT&T. How is that not a major player? I could see if it was like 10th.

Also their is a big difference between paying $200 for a phone and paying $1,000 dollars more over the course of your contract. Their is VZW and Sprint here...both have 3G. Why in the hell would I wanna purposely rape my wallet by picking the more expensive one when I get far more with Sprint for far less.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Ok sin aka "big one" they 'were' the best and they 'are' the best...2 different things. Please explain to me what 10 YEARS AGO have to do with now? If this phone and 4G was available then your point would be valid. But this ain't 2000. Lost concluded a week ago.

And slay, ever seen Taladega Nights, if you're not first you're last...Shake and Bake! Haha. If Sprint is 3rd that means they're just above T-Mobile. Think about that...how much is that really saying? Again, you say all these things like you're making the best decision of you're life...while you're typing this from you're computer...which does everything you're phone can do. So why pay $200 for a phone when you can do all the same things from the comfort of your home? Your answer: "Cause I want to" "I want to be on the go" "Can't get 4G on my computer" blah blah blah

Whatever dudes. All I'm saying and all I've ever said was enjoy the phone already. The my carrier is better than yours battle is a complete wash. If it works for you it works for you. Leave it at that. I've been on EVERY carrier. Plan pricing was NEVER an issue for me. I just wanted a phone that WORKED in my area. If Sprint is awesome for you where you are good for you. But stop being ignorant and act like Sprint is gonna work perfectly for everyone, everywhere. Some people have no choice but to go with different carriers other than Sprint. Take for instance where I'm at. Yuma, AZ. Ever heard of it? Probably not. If you have, then you know what kind of place this is. Think you're gonna get 3G on Sprint here? Nevermind 4G...

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

seriously wish you guys stop carrier bashing

Really? I would take your own advice if I were you as far as carrier bashing goes.

Secondly, how hard was it to convince yourself that Sprint isn't a major wireless competitor? As stated above, Sprint is third behind only Verizon and AT&T. If I had to say, you being annoyed with people bashing carriers is just as annoying to me as you trying to denounce Sprint's obvious role as a wireless competitor and your persistent criticism of peoples opinions.

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site
And slay, ever seen Taladega Nights, if you're not first you're last...Shake and Bake! Haha. If Sprint is 3rd that means they're just above T-Mobile. Think about that...how much is that really saying? Again, you say all these things like you're making the best decision of you're life...while you're typing this from you're computer...which does everything you're phone can do. So why pay $200 for a phone when you can do all the same things from the comfort of your home? Your answer: "Cause I want to" "I want t o be on the go" "Can't get 4G on my computer" blah blah blah

Whatever dudes. All I'm saying and all I've ever said was enjoy the phone already. The my carrier is better than yours battle is a complete wash. If it works for you it works for you. Leave it at that. I've been on EVERY carrier. Plan pricing was NEVER an issue for me. I just wanted a phone that WORKED in my area. If Sprint is awesome for you where you are good for you. But stop being ignorant and act like Sprint is gonna work perfectly for everyone, everywhere. Some people have no choice but to go with different carriers other than Sprint. Take for instance where I'm at. Yuma, AZ. Ever heard of it? Probably not. If you have, then you know what kind of place this is. Think you're gonna get 3G on Sprint here? Nevermind 4G...

lol yeah...well if the wireless telecom buisness was a ****ty comedy then you might by right that if your not 1st your last. Then again if we go by your logic then VZW is also last in revenue as they don't even get on the same playing field as AT&T.

Also im not sure what the hell the 2nd comment in that paragraph was about. Their is vast differences and uses for a phone with 4g and a computer considering I travel around the midwest and towards the east-coast a lot.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is finally stabilizing and is actually now getting 'buy' marks. Sprint is a Fortune 100 company with more annual revenue than Coca Cola and AMEX. They shrunk almost 10% but with 48 million customers now (down from peak of 52), they still have enough critical mass to take hard hits and eventually turn it around. It's likely they will start increasing customer count within a year if not sooner due to EVO, especially if VZW continues to be cocky with their plans and rates.

Sprint Nextel soars, What else to buy? | Oye! Times

VZW and ATT fanbois need Sprint to keep them in check. Without Sprint, they would take advantage of you more than they already do.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Android...feel my pain

Slay...exactly!

I can bash with the best. But my intent was to get you guys to understand tiered data plans and their pricing isn't the end all, be all. I could go on forever but I'm spinning my wheels here. Continue...

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Android...feel my pain

Slay...exactly!

I can bash with the best. But my intent was to get you guys to understand tiered data plans and their pricing isn't the end all, be all. I could go on forever but I'm spinning my wheels here. Continue...

I could probably save money with a tiered data plan. Why pay for the data I am not using?

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd be surprised if VZW offers any bucket for under $10. They may offer incremental buckets for less but I'd be surprised if the first bucket is under $10.

$10 extra for unlimited 3G/4G on Sprint will be hard to beat. I do think that Sprint will eventually go into bucket mode, but they'll likely charge less than VZW. Sprint has others investing with them in WiMAX. VZW is funding LTE themselves and will want a quicker return.

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is the DEVIL!!! In all seriousness, I will carrier bash till the cows come home. That is my right, and I wasn't sure if it had been posted. I didn't see it in the Evo section, which is the only section of the site I visit regularly.

Verizon has great coverage, and if you live outside an area covered by another carrier, you have no choices and the point is moot. If you really think they are going to instate tiered plans with the attempt of charging the customers less, you sir, are for the most part wrong. Tiered plans help those who want minimal services, such as the iPhones separate texting plans. It is nice to have choices for people trying to save money, but it also causes services to be higher for people who want top level service. That is why sprint is cheaper. They charge everyone for things such as unlimited messaging, TV service, and navigation. This allows them to keep the top cost lower which serves me well, as opposed to Verizon's process of itemizing each and every feature for a few extra dollars a month.

I think Sprint is considered #4 behind T-Mobile. To say #4 is not a major player is funny, and I would say incorrect. And Slayix is correct, every 10$ ends up being 120$ at the end of the year. So in the grand scheme, you have to be aware of the cost of the monthly service.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with TreyDaPrince that all carriers will adopt this.
Once VZ starts the others will as well. But in all reality Sprint has already started this with the $10 "data-hog" fee. Call it what it really is.
Dan Hesse has said they're going to move from minute buckets to data buckets.
The any-mobile change was step one, the $10 "Evo-fee" is step two in lieu of an actual bucket.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

1. Yes, sprint IS the best. Where else are you gonna get great signal, great service, great phones, AND great prices? I've been with sprint since '04 and have no plans of changing - why? Well I've had verizon, AT&T, T-mobile (and thats listed from BEST to absolute worst network) and I don't see a point in paying extra for the same thing I can get for less with another network.

And yes, 200 for a phone is a one-time payment, NOT a recurring charge.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Data use is growing faster than the cell providers can keep up with. Increasing the pipe by 3X, 6X, 10X or even 100X won't alter the fact that sooner or later the cell companies will have to move to a non flat rate scheme. They will all go tiered soon enough and then, perhaps in 5 years, they will all go metered.

Cry all you want to but thems the facts -- like it or not.

If you root your phone and are able to avoid paying the $30/month hotspot fee to Sprint they will move even quicker to bill you for what you use. If you cheat them by rooting and eat up many times the data as the average customer then they have an incentive to find a way to get you to pay for your heavy use whether you root or not. Since the data comes from then there's no way you can hide how much you use so, with a metered plan where you pay a nominal connection fee and then, say, $1.50/GB of data it really doesn't matter if you root or not -- they no what you eat and will charge you for it.

The future is metered billing but there will be an interim period with tiered schemes. Think is it as a phased move towards metering...

And, BTW, I'm OK with a metered system so long as competition keeps them honest...

Brian

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz