Quick question on activating phones

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I had a quick question that's probably been asked. My birthday is next week and my mom is probably going to get me a GNex. I have to use her upgrade however. She has just a basic family plan with no text or data. I am on my own contract. Can she buy the GNex, activate it on her "dumb phone" plan, immediately switch back to her dumb phone, and then let me activate the GNex on my line with nothing having to change on her plan?

She's afraid she's gonna have to get a data package just to activate the phone in which case she won't help me get it :/. Just checking. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Her line will be fine, it just extends her contract. The line that the phone ends up on will be charged for data.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Her line will be fine, it just extends her contract. The line that the phone ends up on will be charged for data.

True, I did this on my dads line for my best friend when I bought her a RAZR for Christmas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Her line won't need to add the data. As a matter a fact if they process it as an alternate upgrade for your line she won't even need to activate it on her line at all. It will just extended her contract and the upgrade will be on your line.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones can't be activated without data plan

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Just choose to activate it later when buying it and you can activate it on your line when your mother gives it to you. You can buy it on upgrade without activating.

Sent from my ICSTB

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If you buy the phone directly from Verizon they can do an alternate update and basically steal the upgrade from her line.

Depending on their systems, some indirect agents may require you to briefly activate the phone on her line and then switch it back. Yes upon activating the phone you would have to add the data plan BUT can drop it when you swap phones back a few minutes later.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01