Grandfathered Unlimited Data

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently a Sprint customer with a contract that ends in June. I also have a corporate phone through my work, which was activated when unlimited data was still available. They will be transferring the plans over to us if we still want to keep the line in the next few month. It sounds like if I do take it over I will get to keep the unlimited data, which leads to my question...

Lets say I have them transfer the account to myself and keep the Verizon plan as is (I believe the previous contract is over), could I wait until June and then switch my Sprint number to Verizon, get a new phone, sign a new 2 year contract and keep the unlimited data? Or once you sign a new contract, renew, or get a new phone, do you lose unlimited data?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently a Sprint customer with a contract that ends in June. I also have a corporate phone through my work, which was activated when unlimited data was still available. They will be transferring the plans over to us if we still want to keep the line in the next few month. It sounds like if I do take it over I will get to keep the unlimited data, which leads to my question...

Lets say I have them transfer the account to myself and keep the Verizon plan as is (I believe the previous contract is over), could I wait until June and then switch my Sprint number to Verizon, get a new phone, sign a new 2 year contract and keep the unlimited data? Or once you sign a new contract, renew, or get a new phone, do you lose unlimited data?

I am not sure I am following you. You have 2 phone lines - one with Sprint that you pay for and that ends in June and one through work that work currently pays for and is with Verizon and has unlimited data and is currently off contract?

What you want to do is assume billing liability for the Verizon line that is currently paid for by your work. Then when your Sprint contract ends in June, you want to port that number to the existing Verizon line and then sign a new contract on that line to get the upgrade price on a phone?

If that is what you want to do, then you will not lose unlimited data on the existing Verizon line, however I am not sure if they can port a new number to it, but I think they can. You should give them a call on that one.

Assuming billing liability for an existing unlimited data line doesn't change the plan (unless you choose to change it) nor does renewing a contract or getting a new phone so you will be fine there. I just don't know if you can port the number from Sprint to your VZW line, but I think you can.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You can try, but I think when you try to port your number over, it will be treated as a new line and they won't let you get unlimited data on it. The unlimited data is attached to the exisiting Verizon number.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It may be a system limitation, all sounds good as far as grandfathering goes, but you never know at what point during the account build or port if the system is going to prompt for a rate plan change.

There are certain scenarios that cause the prompt.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You can try, but I think when you try to port your number over, it will be treated as a new line and they won't let you get unlimited data on it. The unlimited data is attached to the exisiting Verizon number.

This SHOULD work, you can replace your phone number (by requesting a new one or porting in one from another carrier) at any time via MyVerizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie