Will you give up your Unlimited data?

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will be changing their data model later this year. http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/2...d-year-5-of-their-customers-are-using-4g-lte/ The details are unknown but if Verizon does it correctly I may give up my unlimited data.

I own a Galaxy Nexus and a Moto Xoom 4G. I have unlimited data on my G-Nexus and the 1GB / $20 per month plan for my Xoom.

After reviewing my account I use less than 5 GB per month (on Verizon's network) between the phone and tablet. Obviously, when im at home i use WiFi on both the Xoom and GNex. I may give up my unlimited data if I was able to pay less than I am now for 5 or 6 GB of shared data between my phone and tablet.

I know of ways to tether my unlimited data to my tablet but I see this as dishonest and border line criminal, so it goes without saying that I am not interested in these "solutions".

My question to this community is....

What is the sweet spot with regards to the amount of data that Verizon would have to offer to get people to switch from their unlimited data plans to a limited shared data plan?

-Kesnik

Last edited:

shugmeat

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Why is it "borderline criminal" to use a service as it was advertised. When I signed up for my original Droid incredible, I was offered "unlimited" (their words, not mine) data. Does telling me that I can't use a function of the phone or software change me from a regular Joe to a criminal? I use the service I was sold, UNLIMITED DATA. I use about 3-3.5 gigs a month between my G-Nex and my nook tablet ( rooted and rom'ed). And, by the way, in case anyone was wondering, the "your straining the network so we have to throttle you" crap from Verizon is bull****. If their network can't handle the loads, quit selling more smartphones.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

Reactions: ScandaLeX

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Why would you "Give up" your unlimited data plan? As an example, if you have a choice to pay 29.95 for 4GB or 29.95 for unlimited; what's there to think about?

Its $30 / month for the data plan on my phone and another $20 / month for my tablet. If verizon was to offer, let's say, 6GB of data to share between the two devices for $40 / month. I would save $10 / month and would have more bandwidth to use with my tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Why is it "borderline criminal" to use a service as it was advertised. When I signed up for my original Droid incredible, I was offered "unlimited" (their words, not mine) data. Does telling me that I can't use a function of the phone or software change me from a regular Joe to a criminal? I use the service I was sold, UNLIMITED DATA. I use about 3-3.5 gigs a month between my G-Nex and my nook tablet ( rooted and rom'ed). And, by the way, in case anyone was wondering, the "your straining the network so we have to throttle you" crap from Verizon is bull****. If their network can't handle the loads, quit selling more smartphones.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/0...andwidth-capacity-limits-by-as-early-as-2013/

shugmeat

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

So your saying that it's the subscribers fault for buying a service that Verizon offers. As a consumer ( and a manager of a retail location) I think it is ludicrous to blame the customers for the lack of foresight Verizon had when developing their network. If their service is so good that they need to buy more spectrum, then wonderful for them, isn't that what all companies strive for? How many other companies, world wide, would kill for sales and usage so large that they had to expand their workforce and infrastructure? Does apple say, "well, we sold too many Ipad 2's, so if everyone could please stop using iTunes it would greatly help us."?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm the only person on my plan with any interest in having data, so I have no reason to give up unlimited.

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Its $30 / month for the data plan on my phone and another $20 / month for my tablet. If verizon was to offer, let's say, 6GB of data to share between the two devices for $40 / month. I would save $10 / month and would have more bandwidth to use with my tablet.

Very valid point. I understand your reasoning. I recently purchased an Iphone for my wife. The data plan I chose was 20 dollars a month for 300 MB. Now keep in mind for 10 dollars more a month she would be on a 2 GB plan. For the two months that she had the phone, she has used less than 20 MB a month as most of the time a wifi connection is available. So we are saving 10 dollars a month.

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm the only person on my plan with any interest in having data, so I have no reason to give up unlimited.

There is no reason to give up your unlimited plan when your the only one on the plan. The only way to benefit with this new plan would be if you had more than one 3g/4g device or multiple people on a single plan...... and even then its circumstantial.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
After getting a chance to experience 4G while on vacation in Chicago and New Orleans, I will never willingly give up Unlimited. I actually "wasted" a lot of bandwith because I didn't have acces to wifi and decided to upload videos to Dropbox when they were offering 500 MB extra storage for every 500 MB uploaded.

I was able to max out the promo and earn an extra 5 GB that I wouldn't have if I had needed to rely on Wifi.

I also commute and really enjoy being able to stream Netflix and Pandora.

Many months I'm under 2.5-3 GB but last month I was at 13 GB. Plus, when 4G is legitimately faster than WIFI, the benefit of Wifi goes out the window, but I'd have to use Wifi regularly if I didn't have Unlimited data

3G only service was a different animal, because using Wifi both conserves your mobile data plan and gives you a faster and more stable connection--most of the time.

Once I get 4G in my home area, I would seriously consider paying for 4G Mobile Hotspot and ditching my broadband. I'll still probably keep the broadband since I am all about having a backup plan, but having unlimited data is too valuable for me to consider moving to anything tiered.

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I use my Tbolt and Hotspot for most of my personal entertainment. Between DroidTV and HBOGO/MAXGO I used over 28GB this billing period. My wife only used about 325MB on her Acct. For this I pay $120/MO for our data plans. More than enough compensation for VZ IMHO.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll do whatever I have to do to keep VZW, data, and Mobile Hotspot.

As it turns out, I have had unlimited data since before the TBolt was released. I added Mobile Hotspot when I purchased the TBolt (hence, unlimited MHS too). However, as I look at my usage, if I had the original tiered plan with Mobile Hotspot (i.e. 5GB/mo) I never would have gone over. As it is, I've been paying $10/mo more for unlimited than I would be paying for the tiered data with MHS 5GB/mo. So... I'm already in the situation where I have spent a total of $120 more to keep my unlimited when there was no real need.

I admit that for $10/mo it's nice to have the unlimited "piece of mind". But it's not that big of a deal to me. Funny thing too about the VZW tiered data plan, unlike its system voice plans, when you go over the charges are NOT astronomical. In fact, if you go a couple of Gig over your tiered plan the additional charge is very similar to what you would have paid if you bought the higher tiered plan to begin with. That's why I say unlike their voice plans... where it's so easy to get burnt bad with overage charges.

-Frank

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Being grandfathered in on unlimited glad I have the peace of mind. I also get a corporate discount so that helps. I listen to.Pandora a lot so as long as I can keep unlimited am doing it!

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess what it comes down to is very few people would benefit from this shared data plan. I’m thinking the only people who would be interested in this would be those of us with a single plan with 2 or more devices connected to data and people with family plans with multiple people (basically the same as having multiple devices to share the plans' total data).

-Kesnik

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site

I agree with shugmeat... Pay $30 and tether the phone.

lotalota

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about dropping it. I get terrible VZW service at my desk (bad building) where I spend most of my week. I'm thinking of switching to ATT because they have a repeater in the building. It will be a shame to lose it, but I don't see the point of keeping unlimited data when I can't connect to the network most of the time.

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I would very much like to keep my unlimited data. However coming around this september, 3 of the 4 lines on my family plan will have data, and I'm the only one with unlimited and likely the only one who would want to keep it. However I'm not sure how much data my mom or sister would even use.

Admittedly I only use about 1-2GB a month, but that's on 3g and in my current situation. If I were to move somewhere with decent public transportation and 4g and wanted to watch netflix or hulu or youtube on my phone consistently, then unlimited would be a major benefit as going over even 4GB could be easy.

Also I feel like these plans benefit families where there are probably 2 and more likely 3 or 4 smartphones on the line, especially if parents only use limited data and the kids use a decent amount but nothing insane. For the average user, 500MB a month is standard. If you could make a 4line 4GB share plan for $40 or $50 a month, that would be significantly cheaper than the $30/month/line or $120 a month total that a 4 line all smartphone plan has, and even 2GB for $30 shared on 2 smartphone lines would be viable, though I don't expect verizon to offer such a thing unless they really want to push smartphones that badly, since it would be like a $15/month 1GB for each line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20