Need some phone selection advice...

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
After 10 1/2 years with sprint I'm deciding to make the switch to verizon. I'm finally fed-up with sprint's poor coverage and slow 3g speeds. It does no good to have unlimited data if you barely have a signal. My girlfriend and I have decided on the rezound for each of us but I need to pick out another phone for another line. I need some recomendations for a phone comparable or a lil better than the evo4g. The screen must not be smaller than the size on the evo 4g and preferably an htc phone with sense because the individual is already used to using sense. The phone doesn't have to be a 4g phone either. I was looking at the thunderbolt but see it has horrible battery life. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Tough decision there. Rezound is the only top HTC phone on Verizon currently. I'd suggest the nexus since you really can't go wrong with vanilla Android. Hope you find something to your likings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Tough decision there. Rezound is the only top HTC phone on Verizon currently. I'd suggest the nexus since you really can't go wrong with vanilla Android. Hope you find something to your likings.

I considered the nexus but it still has issues and I'm not a fan of the on screen buttons. Since I started using android I've had htc phones and I like sense and their build quality. Plus, you can get the rezound at amazon wireless for $80 right now for new customers...can't go wrong there. Might just have to pick up that thunderbolt for the third line since it's only a penny at amazon wireless and get an extended battery also.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

You can if actually getting signal is important to you. The Nexus radio sucks. It gets by far the worst reception
(dBm not bars) of any 4g phone on Verizon. Get the Raze or Max. If you want to save some cash get the bionic which coincidentally gets the best reception in my experience.

Last edited:

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
You can if actually getting sign is important to you. The Nexus radio sucks. It gets by far the worst reception
(dBm not bars) of any 4g phone on Verizon. Get the Raze or Max. If you want to save some cash get the bionic which coincidentally gets the best reception in my experience.

I've been pulling far better service on my nexus then I have off my old dinc.

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Another question...is it possible to port my number after I've switched to Verizon and made sure their service is acceptable?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Another question...is it possible to port my number after I've switched to Verizon and made sure their service is acceptable?

Yes you can open up a new line with a new number, try the service and when you are ready port in your old number (replacing the other one) at any time. This is free and can generally be done online vie MyVerizon but of course the reps in a store can help you as well.

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can open up a new line with a new number, try the service and when you are ready port in your old number (replacing the other one) at any time. This is free and can generally be done online vie MyVerizon but of course the reps in a store can help you as well.

Good to know. Thanks for the quick reply!

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
In all seriousness, I would give the HTC Trophy (VZW's only Windows Phone) consideration. Windows Phones have a "light", manufacturer's overlay on them, so the Trophy does have some Sense-like screens, particularly within the built-in weather tile/app. A Trophy would allow you to compare/contrast Windows Phone OS with Android OS.

If you aren't interested in going in that direction, I concur with the Droid Incredible 2 recommendation if you are cool to the Thunderbolt.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Just as an FYI if you buy the phone from a reseller like Letstalk.com or Amazon wireless be aware of the extra strings they attach. If you were to change your number in all likelihood you would bet charged their device reclamation fee ($250) if you did so before the 6 month as any major change to the account before that time will result in the fee. :(

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well sh@t! I already ordered from amazon and didn't port my number.

I would call and talk to them ASAP and see what they say but I will tell you what they told me. During the penny sale last fall (week before Thanksgiving) I bought two phones from them. One was a Razr which was just an ad a lone with a new number. No issue there except that I had to call Amazon and get them to manually activate it since they didn't do something right. The other was an AT&T Vivid which was supposed to be a separate sub account (single line not associated with the shared minute plan already in the account), but they screwed it up. They activated it as a completely separate account (new account number and billed separately) and they would not fix it and at least three people (two supervisors) all told me that if I had AT&T merge that account with the other one (even if I left the plan separate from the existing shared minute plan) Before May 26th I think it was, that they would charge me that fee. Get a straight answer from them BEFORE you activate the phone (activating the phone constitutes accepting the TOS and their own customer agreement). Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier.

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I would call and talk to them ASAP and see what they say but I will tell you what they told me. During the penny sale last fall (week before Thanksgiving) I bought two phones from them. One was a Razr which was just an ad a lone with a new number. No issue there except that I had to call Amazon and get them to manually activate it since they didn't do something right. The other was an AT&T Vivid which was supposed to be a separate sub account (single line not associated with the shared minute plan already in the account), but they screwed it up. They activated it as a completely separate account (new account number and billed separately) and they would not fix it and at least three people (two supervisors) all told me that if I had AT&T merge that account with the other one (even if I left the plan separate from the existing shared minute plan) Before May 26th I think it was, that they would charge me that fee. Get a straight answer from them BEFORE you activate the phone (activating the phone constitutes accepting the TOS and their own customer agreement). Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier.

Will do. I don't see how changing the number would cost me the $250 fee since the account number would still be the same but who knows. Kinda defeats trying out the service and then porting my number if you have to pay a fee, LOL. It's not your fault, I should've prolly done a lil more research before I made the purchase. If they won't change the number without paying the fee then I'll just return the phone.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Will do. I don't see how changing the number would cost me the $250 fee since the account number would still be the same but who knows. Kinda defeats trying out the service and then porting my number if you have to pay a fee, LOL. It's not your fault, I should've prolly done a lil more research before I made the purchase. If they won't change the number without paying the fee then I'll just return the phone.

I very specifically asked them if I could merge my OLD account into the NEW one to avoid the fee and was told NO if I make any changes like that at all I would get a fee so until May whatever I am getting TWO bills from AT&T. Really stupid :(

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Gave amazon a call and they said to go to a Verizon store and have them port my number. Then give amazon a call back so they can update their records with my new number. They also said that it wasn't against their terms and agreement and wouldn't get the $250 fee. Thanks for all your help VZWRocks.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Gave amazon a call and they said to go to a Verizon store and have them port my number. Then give amazon a call back so they can update their records with my new number. They also said that it wasn't against their terms and agreement and wouldn't get the $250 fee. Thanks for all your help VZWRocks.

Glad to hear it, hope you like Verizon :)

What phone did you end up getting?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid