What should I expect with 3G speeds?

joe_sun

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I just upgraded from Sprint to Verizon because I heard how much better the network was but at least from my office I'm getting very similar speeds.

Here are a couple of 3g tests from today.

Is this what I can expect going foward?

159103767.png

159108045.png

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It varies, but, that does seem kinda low for download. I just ran three tests and got a pretty consistent Upload speed (0.56 Mbps, 0.44 Mbps, 0.40 Mbps). However, my download speed varied (0.57 Mbps, 0.31 Mbps, 1.29 Mbps).

Could be an area with a lot of traffic, or, a time with a lot of traffic. I'm in Trenton right now, and, those are the speeds I got. I would assume it's a decently busy area, it is close to Philly too, so...

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I just ran a fourth test, and, I got 1.21 Mbps download and 0.72 upload. Try running the test tomorrow, and, at a different time. See what happens.

joe_sun

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon probably has the slowest "3G" of all the carriers. It's not really true 3G, but 2.5G.

Coming from Sprint I'd have to disagree but I am a little disappointed it's not faster. 4g is crazy fast but I've determined I'd rather just chill on 3g and enjoy the increased battery life at this time.

I've been getting much better scores latley, I seem to average 1.2Mbps

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Sprint I'd have to disagree but I am a little disappointed it's not faster. 4g is crazy fast but I've determined I'd rather just chill on 3g and enjoy the increased battery life at this time.

I've been getting much better scores latley, I seem to average 1.2Mbps

There are a lot of factors that play into how fast your speeds are, but, I have found 3G to be perfectly acceptable. I have never used 4G, so, I can't really speak to the difference, and, I'm sure once I get a 4g device, I'll feel differently about it, but, for now, I'm happy with it.

Glad to see your scores went up though. That is significantly better.

wes-txt

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
My 3g speeds seem to vary alot. On my Droid 1 in rarely saw over 1mbps dnld, but since upgrading to my Razr, I've gotten much better speeds, as high at 2.4mbps dnld & 1mbps upld, but on average I get 1mbps dnld & 500kbps upld when I have 4-5 bars of signal.

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My 3g speeds seem to vary alot. On my Droid 1 in rarely saw over 1mbps dnld, but since upgrading to my Razr, I've gotten much better speeds, as high at 2.4mbps dnld & 1mbps upld, but on average I get 1mbps dnld & 500kbps upld when I have 4-5 bars of signal.

The Razr is also 4G or are you referring to it in 3g mode?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The Razr is also 4G or are you referring to it in 3g mode?

That's what I assumed they meant, but, was thinking the same thing. I've never had a download rate of much higher than around 1.3 Mbps. Not to say that it's not possible on 3G, I dunno. But, in all my tests, I've never seen 2.4 Mbps.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Way to bring back a year old tread

Posted via Android Central App

Well the original post is from 12/31/1969, so... :what:

:p

*EDIT* Apparently it's a bug with the AC Forums app, because I just checked in my regular browser and the dates are ok. Weird.

revinger

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The county I live in east central Illinois has been suffering abysmal Verizon 3g speeds for over a year.typically similar to the original posters, much worse at times down to dialup speeds and ping times approaching 1 second. I know of other customers in my area that are seeing the same problem that have also called and reported the problem to Verizon.

All were lead to hoop jumping and told it was somehow their device. Apparently Verizon doesn't want to admit that its a tower issue here, or at least deal with it.

I work from home as a developer, do morning speed checks before starting my day on corporate vpn. Up until the year ago I was getting 3g speeds consistently above 1 Meg down, usually closer to 1.5 then last year happened.

This area is one of the last 5% without 4g but I am relatively close, next county east has 4g. I have a tower for my ham antennas. I was able to get an amp and beam for 4g. I have the can and string string stretched pretty tight, but have a usable 4g signal most if the time, except for thunderstorms the signal stays upand runs circles around lical 3g, not great 4g speeds 3meg down 500k up on a bad day.

All I can say is I feel your pain. I had a couple times last week when 4g went down and I had to really alter my work day because 3g is so unusable in this area.

their handling of it has caused me to move all my voice plans to a local regional carrier. I am keeping my data card fir Now as long as 4g is the best option, but I am definitely looking for other alternatives.

Bob