Rezound vs. Razr Maxx vs. Wait

UNCMo96

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Currently I have a rooted Droid X (with stock blur, did try some roms in the past) and had been really wanting a new phone. My phone would just eat through the battery and was laggy.

Anyways, I've been eyeing up the phones on Verizon and it seems like the 2 best phones out right now are the Rezound and the Razr Maxx. (I thought about the Gnex but given it's bugs with ICS around the corner for both the rezound and maxx it doesn't make sense to me). When I last checked a week and a 1/2 ago I could get the Rezound for 170 and the Razr Maxx for like 230 or so (corporate pricing). When I called our corporate rep and told him my situation he was like don't get the rezound the Maxx is the best out there and that's what I and most of us who work at verizon have. I think he was thinking from a "business" standpoint. For me the non-businessy stuff (i.e. screen, music, feel, rootability, etc) are important as well.

I played with the phones at the store and really liked the UI of the rezound. I guess the Sense seemed a nice change from blur. The maxx was familiar since it had the blur but the screen did not look as nice when I really looked close. The maxx was brighter but the rezound seemed richer (probably from the increased dpi). The Maxx seemed to be less laggy than the rezound as well but I'm not sure if that was just the 2 phones I had.

Also all these Droid Fighter rumors are coming up which makes it seem like the best of both worlds (high def screen like rezound, form factor and battery of Razr maxx, possibly quad core).

Anyways, I tried to install a rom on my Dx and got into a bootloop. I did an SBF flash (was amazed how easy this is to do over linux) and now have a phone that seems to work better w/o the battery life and lagging issues (I think by wiping everything and starting from scratch i probably killed a few hogging apps) so I don't feel as pressed to get a new phone.

So my dilemma right now is:
a) go for the Rezound (which would need me to get extra batteries and charger. I sometimes work 24 hours at a stretch so I need a phone that will last that long).
b) Get the Maxx
c) wait for the fighter

I've been waffling all over three options since I figured the fighter would come in at $250-$300 and the other 2 phones were around 200. I just called verizon and I was told that the Razr Maxx is 150 and the Rezound is 200? I thought the rezound was 50? They said the 50 dollar price is for new customers online only??? Perhaps I need a different rep. Even if I could get the rezound for 50 an extra battery and charger are about 70 bucks combined so for all that the Maxx looks like a good deal.

Last edited:

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
The rezound is on sale for $50 online only special for new or upgrade accounts. I got one on upgrade and recieve it tommorrow. I would go for the rezound cause it's a great value for the price right now. It will go off sale after the 9th. I see alot of Dev support for it right now and ICS was said to be coming this week.

dapercy

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I would wait. The Maxx screen looks silly since it is so small and the bezels so big. I do like it's battery though. They should have never released the original. Ridiculously skinny and is uncomfortable to hold.

grumpyjoe

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I was looking at both phones for my wife. Looked at both for a extended period of time. Talked to the Verizon salesman and he advised the Rezound. He said the Razr would sometimes need to be rebooted because the internet would go away. Said the Rezound is more consistent. Sold me. My wife loves it. First time I did a speed test on it? Busted out a 42 Mbps down and 19 up. I love my ThunderBolt but this thing had me a little jealous.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I would wait. Not for the next latest-and-greatest phone, but wait for VZW to start sending you emails that your account is eligible for upgrade and discounted pricing is available. I had the Incredible and it was a great phone, still is a great phone. But I waited to upgrade. Once VZW started emailing me with pretty good deals, then I made my move.

UNCMo96

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up pulling the trigger and getting a Razr Maxx for $150 (corporate price)

I went back a few times to verizon stores and played with both phones again. The RM just seemed like a more modern phone and seemed less laggy. Although there is a difference between the screens, it's not markedly different. Also, with sense I cannot change the bottom dock buttons which is annoying. I realized as much as I CAN buy an extra battery and charger for the rezound. it's a real PITA to keep switching batteries esp given that I work long hours where having a phone that lasts>24 hours will be nice.

As per the corporate reps the return policy is 30 days with no restocking fee so I'm protected IF the fighter is released and IF it's that much better. If it's $300, I'm not sure if it will be worth the money for a slightly faster processor and a slightly better display.....