New Upgrade Fees

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Joe the insider works for Verizon. If he says the fee can't be waived, it won't be waived. There are certain policies and fees service providers and retailers will not waiver on, and a fee like this is one of them.

Oh and Verizon would be more than happy to see you walk, because they know you'll come crawling back when you realize how poor the other networks are.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm supposed to believe a Verizon employee? I could care less as to what this employee claims can and can't be done. It can be done and I'm sure someone has already pulled it off. Why? Because people are pretty nifty when it comes to things like this. But there is no sense in arguing this because you appear to listen to ANYTHING a representative of any given company tells you. I, however, do believe in acting myself and not listening to a drone. Believe whatever you want, but that fee will be waived when the time comes. Remember, policies may be in writing, but one of two things can and will happen - a store representative will waive it which isn't as likely as the other option. Option number 2 would be to order the device over the phone and get the fee waived or refunded. I had no problem paying the $20 fee to upgrade early, but since Verizon took away that option, there is no reason to pay $10 more than the former 1 year price. Verizon must think their customers are a bunch of sheep, but I for one am not nor will I be treated as such. In the end, its all about who you talk to and nothing more. I have had things added to my account or a friends account as an "exception". That includes a $20 discount for talk and text plus data and Friends and Family on a 450 minute plan. I didn't lie and say I got the email, they just offered it to me. Is this the same as the fee? No, but again, I said its about who you talk to; not the policy in question.

And before you even try and say that I'm complaining because I'm poor; just stop. I'm not rich, but I'm not poor and could easily afford this fee.

Note: I'm sorry if anyone is offended by anything my my post. Verizon employees have been polite to me, but I will never trust an employee on things such as this. The employee who claimed this may not waive the fee, but there are plenty of others that will. But if you want to believe this and are willing to pay Verizon for this, than go for it. Verizon should have masked this fee within the price of phones so no one would try and get it waived. Instead, they used some lame excuse of mediocre "experts" helping us. I'm begging to know what a representative has taught me because I don't recall... oh wait, they didn't! I didn't even know Verizon had online tools. Why? I don't NEED THEM!

There, I'm done. Go ahead and believe whatever you choose to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: chase2hoop

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I probably wouldn't even mind paying the fee if Verizon was honest about why it was raised. I find it quite odd that this $30 fee comes months after the backlash of the $2 per month fee for not having automatic payment setup. Of course, I wouldn't expect them to come out and say this, but they should just go back to their original plan. I have used automatic payment for a long time so it wouldn't have hurt me one way or another. This fee could hurt me if I decide not to fight it but that won't happen.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just because one person says "Verizon said it will never be waived" doesn't mean it's true. Verizon representatives have given out hundreds of "OFFICIAL" dates for RAZR's Ice Cream Sandwich update. All of those dates have passed and now we're given more dates. Why in the world would I listen to Verizon on anything?

And just because you say it can be waived doesn't mean a damn thing.

And I'm sure like most reps, a virtually meaningless update to the Android operating system is the furthest thing from our minds.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
When you buy an Apple product they have classes in their stores about better ways to use them. Some of the classes are 101 and some are more advanced. Now I cannot say if they are charging fees for them but at one point they did not. So Apple may be overpriced but they support their products well. I do not know of a single person that needed an insurance plan because if you break your phone you take it into a store and they replace it. I am not a fan boy of Apple but those are intangables that attract people. Also Apple has way more name recognition among the masses when it comes to "smart phones" than android devices. BB also has that name recognition which is why they have any business at all at this point.

However the fee is dissapointing. If it was invested in better sales people I would understand. If there were classes or they used it to educate more people on phones I would be fine. However I doubt this is the case.

In my dealings with technical support it is substandard overall. I have worked technical support and the factory reset is akin to unplugging your device for 30 seconds to a minute or you need to reinstall windows trick. It is the first thing to try but also has the lowest success rate, it does however make the Tech's job easier. To get anything done you need to get the second tier of tech support. Overall they are the ones that have distinguished themselves from the lemmings in the first tier. They are more techies and they have more passion for their products (for the most part).

I agree with Eclipse, it's not about threats or anger but about trying to resolve a problem logically. When I had my storm I went through three of them. Eventaully I just told them the phone fails at is responsibilities and I want to downgrade my contract to a cell phone. My father lived without a smartphone, my grandpappy did, my great grandpappy did as well. So I am sure that I would be fine. They offered me the choice of a few phones brand new at no cost. Just don't let them push you around and don't get angry. If they didn't step up I would have gone to a cell phone for the rest of my plan than dropped my cell phone and gone "off the grid". It's a nice convenience but I don't need to be able to talk on the phone wherever I am at.

Overall this is the sad state of customer service or technical support in today's world. Customer support should be an absorbed cost, not a money maker in the sense there are fee's charged but a money maker in the service provided keeps your customers happy.

A trick I use is that if someone is so unhelpful and I am getting the run around I do not threaten to leave but I PROMISE to call them and keep them on the phone for so long that it will cost them money to keep me as a customer. I also have a 1 hr drive to and from work so I have no problem wasting a companies time that does not want to provide me with the proper support I deserve. This has worked in getting me acceptable results 100% of the time. Not everyone has the same time luxury I have but if you can its worth it.

Reactions: Eclipse2K

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
And just because you say it can be waived doesn't mean a damn thing.

And I'm sure like most reps, a virtually meaningless update to the Android operating system is the furthest thing from our minds.

In the end, I don't really care what you think. Representatives at any cell phone company usually know less than their cell phone base. Its their job but that's where it ends for many. I learned this from phone calls to Verizon or trips into the Verizon store. Either know your product or don't try and explain it to your customers. However, I never ONCE said to you directly that you don't know a thing. In fact, you could very well be one of those representatives that I tip my cap to for knowing your material so well.

All I'm saying is I'm positive that I can get this fee waived without threatening to leave Verizon. Lets face it, I have never used that excuse and I never will because its meaningless. Everyone has tried it and its as old as those people claiming they had so many issues they want a Multi-Fru (sp?) exchange. Make no mistake about it, I have no beef with you or any Verizon employee. Unless they get snotty with me when I'm polite that is. But that's yet to happen so relax. I could care less if anyone believe me when I say I can get this fee waived. Its my money and my effort to do such a thing. I encourage everyone to try because this fee is bogus and should be removed if the reasons given are true. In reality, to one that's not easily convinced, this is their new way to make up that $2 fee that Verizon tried for with non-automated payments. Go ahead, tell me its not but the timing is way too close for my taste.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
When you buy an Apple product they have classes in their stores about better ways to use them. Some of the classes are 101 and some are more advanced. Now I cannot say if they are charging fees for them but at one point they did not. So Apple may be overpriced but they support their products well. I do not know of a single person that needed an insurance plan because if you break your phone you take it into a store and they replace it. I am not a fan boy of Apple but those are intangables that attract people. Also Apple has way more name recognition among the masses when it comes to "smart phones" than android devices. BB also has that name recognition which is why they have any business at all at this point.

However the fee is dissapointing. If it was invested in better sales people I would understand. If there were classes or they used it to educate more people on phones I would be fine. However I doubt this is the case.

In my dealings with technical support it is substandard overall. I have worked technical support and the factory reset is akin to unplugging your device for 30 seconds to a minute or you need to reinstall windows trick. It is the first thing to try but also has the lowest success rate, it does however make the Tech's job easier. To get anything done you need to get the second tier of tech support. Overall they are the ones that have distinguished themselves from the lemmings in the first tier. They are more techies and they have more passion for their products (for the most part).

I agree with Eclipse, it's not about threats or anger but about trying to resolve a problem logically. When I had my storm I went through three of them. Eventaully I just told them the phone fails at is responsibilities and I want to downgrade my contract to a cell phone. My father lived without a smartphone, my grandpappy did, my great grandpappy did as well. So I am sure that I would be fine. They offered me the choice of a few phones brand new at no cost. Just don't let them push you around and don't get angry. If they didn't step up I would have gone to a cell phone for the rest of my plan than dropped my cell phone and gone "off the grid". It's a nice convenience but I don't need to be able to talk on the phone wherever I am at.

Overall this is the sad state of customer service or technical support in today's world. Customer support should be an absorbed cost, not a money maker in the sense there are fee's charged but a money maker in the service provided keeps your customers happy.

A trick I use is that if someone is so unhelpful and I am getting the run around I do not threaten to leave but I PROMISE to call them and keep them on the phone for so long that it will cost them money to keep me as a customer. I also have a 1 hr drive to and from work so I have no problem wasting a companies time that does not want to provide me with the proper support I deserve. This has worked in getting me acceptable results 100% of the time. Not everyone has the same time luxury I have but if you can its worth it.

Verizon allowed me to upgrade to a Tour at no charge when my Storm continued to fail. I remember that clicking screen was horrible among other things. If the phone worked right, the screen didn't click on one or two edges at all. If the phone didn't work right, the edges were a little bit better. I could fix this issue slightly, but id have to break the warranty tabs and adjust the screws.Talk about Murphy's Law. After 8 replacements, Verizon stepped up and pre ordered me a Tour. Thankfully, that nightmare ended but sadly, a new one began. Although, I waited until RIM fixed the Tours track ball issues. Anyone remember those? It was unresponsive due to a design flaw. Once fixed Verizon sent a new one. I'm glad Verizon had that program so honest people could use it, but I heard they got rid of it due to people abusing it. I remember posts on Crack Berry of people saying their lying with every excuse known about the phone just to get a new phone. Although, while cancelled, my friend did manage to switch from a Droid 2 to a Droid X at no charge. Not sure how or why, but I know it happened. :)

And thank you for your post. I think people, especially Verizon employees on here, think that I'm against them. I actually respect them but I am making my point here that Verizon corporate will not fool me into believing this fee isn't backlash from the failed auto payment fee and easily waived. Maybe its the way I was raised, but I learned how to be a polite yet smart consumer.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The whole "fee waving" discussion is pretty worthless. Of course there will be cases where it is waived. But maybe not in a straight forward way. More like, "I can't waive the fee Sir, but if you purchase these two phones/contracts I'll issue a credit to your account in the same amount". Or, "I'll give you the same amount in free accessories". There are so many workarounds...

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The whole "fee waving" discussion is pretty worthless. Of course there will be cases where it is waived. But maybe not in a straight forward way. More like, "I can't waive the fee Sir, but if you purchase these to phones/contracts I'll issue a credit to your account in the same amount". Or, "I'll give you the same amount in free accessories". There are so many workarounds...

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Lol, that would be what I assume would happen. I still consider it being waived though. :)

Lets all just get along.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
In the end, I don't really care what you think. Representatives at any cell phone company usually know less than their cell phone base. Its their job but that's where it ends for many. I learned this from phone calls to Verizon or trips into the Verizon store. Either know your product or don't try and explain it to your customers.

Like I said earlier, for every one rep insult I read or witness, I've got at least 10 customer stories that would make anyone wonder how some people survive in an adult world

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Like I said earlier, for every one rep insult I read or witness, I've got at least 10 customer stories that would make anyone wonder how some people survive in an adult world

I would be willing to agree with that because I run into a lot of people like that on a daily basis. I'm not saying everyone's perfect, but I do know what my experience has been. I have nothing but good things to say about Verizon's customer service in general, but their technical knowledge has me ready to pull out my hair at times.

All's good bud. :)

titanjaw

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, I just have to put my 2? worth in here.

We are older users (as in - on SS) that are full-time RV'ers.

Last night we were browsing for a new phone for my husband. His phone is 2 years old and it's really time to replace it. This was the first we saw of these fees.

I would love for him to get a smart phone (commando), but that's just not going to happen. I can see him throwing it across the room or smashing it with a hammer just because it's so confusing to him. With all the phones already on our account we pay over $300 a month for our bill.

When he saw the fee even for a NON smartphone, he said he'd keep his gz'one Rock until it fails completely. He loves my Thunderbolt, but he can't figure it out, and it would take me weeks to teach him about how to use it. He's still working and a phone is a requirement for him. He wouldn't have the time to learn how to use it before going to work and be totally frustrated.

It was very frustrating for me when I first got it and there was no nothing from the people at the Verizon store to help with it. I'm fairly computer savvy and have been working with computer systems since 1985, but this phone really did confound me for about a week.

As a matter of fact, when we went to purchase my phone, they couldn't tell us what features worked with Ford Sync and wouldn't try one to see if the phonebook history would at least load into my sync system. At that point I told them to forget it. We passed an authorized retailer on the way home and stopped in just to see.... Not only did they test it out on the Sync system for us, they gave us a better price than we'd been given at the "company store."

Now granted, VZW has a larger footprint for coverage than the *cough cough* other *cough* companies. However, those other companies, fees or not, would only be costing us about $200.00 a month and provide unlimited everything if we went there. we pay the higher price already for service - we do not get unlimited everything on new service (I was grandfathered in with my unlimited internet service many years ago as well as on my Thunderbolt), and they want an additional fee to upgrade? Something is wrong with this picture. And this is going to hurt a lot of older folks. Some live right to the max penny on their SS checks. We are lucky that he can still work or we'd have to give up cell service completely.

sorry for the rant.... sometimes I just can't help myself. ;) :p

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
As a matter of fact, when we went to purchase my phone, they couldn't tell us what features worked with Ford Sync and wouldn't try one to see if the phonebook history would at least load into my sync system. At that point I told them to forget it.

Come on now, we're Verizon Wireless reps. We go through enough training on our own product, let alone being trained on anyone elses. Bluetooth compatibility can easily be found on any single automobile manufacturers website. Expecting a corporate Verizon Wireless rep to immediately know how any given phone syncs with any automobile is a bit ridiculous. The 3rd party retailer did it because they had time to do so, we're normally much to busy in our corporate stores.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Come on now, we're Verizon Wireless reps. We go through enough training on our own product, let alone being trained on anyone elses. Bluetooth compatibility can easily be found on any single automobile manufacturers website. Expecting a corporate Verizon Wireless rep to immediately know how any given phone syncs with any automobile is a bit ridiculous. The 3rd party retailer did it because they had time to do so, we're normally much to busy in our corporate stores.

I will agree with this. While I'm against these fees, I don't expect Verizon to know if my 2012 Acura RDX will connect properly. I'd feel lucky if anyone knew other than my dealership because their company is the one who made the system.

Hangfire#AC

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
No cellular provider, or bank for that matter, will proactively offer to waive the fee but will do so easily if you simply ask. They are banking on the less educated consumer that doesn't know any better to make up the difference. I work for a bank, I know this from experience. They'd be ignorant to let a customer walk over $30. I wouldn't sweat it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Bumping this!

I would like to say that my sister and niece upgraded to RAZR Maxx devices on Saturday. I was ABLE to get Verizon to offer both of them a $30 credit to pay for this upgrade. To all those that doubted that I could do this- I did it. No threats. No deceiving comments. Flat out honesty and truth. Works every single time. And I remember PLENTY of people within this thread said it wasn't going to happen. Well, my sister is now happy.

That is all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ry and msndrstood

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Bumping this!

I would like to say that my sister and niece upgraded to RAZR Maxx devices on Saturday. I was ABLE to get Verizon to offer both of them a $30 credit to pay for this upgrade. To all those that doubted that I could do this- I did it. No threats. No deceiving comments. Flat out honesty and truth. Works every single time. And I remember PLENTY of people within this thread said it wasn't going to happen. Well, my sister is now happy.

That is all.

I doubt this was done at a corporate store, because they $30 upgrade fee is part of the price basically. Also, I find it hilarious people are complaining about this fee, when every other cell company charges the same thing, but actually more.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I doubt this was done at a corporate store, because they $30 upgrade fee is part of the price basically. Also, I find it hilarious people are complaining about this fee, when every other cell company charges the same thing, but actually more.

Didn't say it was at the store nor did I claim it would be. The fee was "waived" by the first customer service representative I spoke with. Not that difficult, but than again, I've never had a problem getting something reasonable done. And no, these fees are not reasonable as a customer. You're paying out the ass for a new device and than an upgrade fee is thrown on. The New Every Two has gone away and instead of a saving we get to pay more.

And of course the store employee didn't do it. He was too pushy with the Share Everything plan and I tore him up about his logic. Don't push something on me if I already said "No thank you, we will stick with this". A store representative won't ever waive it but who cares who waives it. It has been done now and that's all I care about.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Didn't say it was at the store nor did I claim it would be. The fee was "waived" by the first customer service representative I spoke with. Not that difficult, but than again, I've never had a problem getting something reasonable done. And no, these fees are not reasonable as a customer. You're paying out the ass for a new device and than an upgrade fee is thrown on. The New Every Two has gone away and instead of a saving we get to pay more.

And of course the store employee didn't do it. He was too pushy with the Share Everything plan and I tore him up about his logic. Don't push something on me if I already said "No thank you, we will stick with this". A store representative won't ever waive it but who cares who waives it. It has been done now and that's all I care about.

Verizon was doing a $40 Bill credit for labor day weekend, you might want to check that as well..

Sent from my busa!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon was doing a $40 Bill credit for labor day weekend, you might want to check that as well..

Sent from my busa!

I have not heard of this but I searched Google and came up with no results. I found discounts for switching to a Share Everything plan that equaled $40 but I'm sure when those took effect. She didn't switch to Share Everything though so that wouldn't be relevant to her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy