Unlimited Data Plan (Verizon)

Herc130

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I saw this topic on another forum, but that one doesn't seem to get much traffic so I wanted to post it here.

I got the unlimited data plan because I thought "unlimited" meant NO LIMIT. Appearntly, "unlimited" means 5GB.

Verizon Droid Tethering Will Cost You - Business Center - PC World

One day of streaming pandora for 20 minutes, a few minutes of youtube, 3 apps download and I already hit 120MB of that 5GB (get app: My Verison. It'll tell you all about your account and your usage). I was thinking I'd be safe streaming pandora, surfing the interwebs, streaming video or WTF I want all day long, but looks like my idea of normal use will quickly get me over 5GB and into trouble.

Please don't tell me I can use wifi most of the time and just 3G when I have to. I paid $99/mo for unlimited, not for a 5GB limit. Honestly, if this is true, I will be ending my Droid contract within the 30 days and sending my droid back.

R

Roy Aguilera

Its unlimited for phone usage and 5GBs for tethering. Same applies for BB and other smart phones. I used to watch YouTube and surf the web on my bb all day. You will be good.

Last edited:

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
The Bad news

I saw this topic on another forum, but that one doesn't seem to get much traffic so I wanted to post it here.

I got the unlimited data plan because I thought "unlimited" meant NO LIMIT. Appearntly, "unlimited" means 5GB.

Verizon Droid Tethering Will Cost You - Business Center - PC World

One day of streaming pandora for 20 minutes, a few minutes of youtube, 3 apps download and I already hit 120MB of that 5GB (get app: My Verison. It'll tell you all about your account and your usage). I was thinking I'd be safe streaming pandora, surfing the interwebs, streaming video or WTF I want all day long, but looks like my idea of normal use will quickly get me over 5GB and into trouble.

Please don't tell me I can use wifi most of the time and just 3G when I have to. I paid $99/mo for unlimited, not for a 5GB limit. Honestly, if this is true, I will be ending my Droid contract within the 30 days and sending my droid back.

Rather than simply saying. Read what you sign the fact is this.
"All" Cell carriers are charging for data and although they call it unlimited, it is indeed limited. The 5GB "cap" is being used to keep abusers down to a minimum. I've not heard of anyone getting a bill for overusage on a data plan being used without tethering but I'm sure it's possible. You can return it if you want but i don't think you'll find any other carrier that doesn't offer their unlimited plan without some sort of "cap" around 5GB in the US. Even Cricket does it.

With all that said, I'm with you in regards to the false labeling. Don't use unlimited if it's limited. Real simple. Change your marketing to reflect what you really offer.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Just for reference...

I just checked my total data usage as of this morning: 449,567.12 KB (0.4287 GB)

This is for 5 days so that puts me at 0.086 GB/day and this is probably the MOST I'll use because in the first days I've been downloading MANY apps, songs and have been streaming pandora quite a bit while at work.

So.. with that being said, taking 0.086 GB/day and applying that over a 31 day month I'll get 2.67 GB... still WAY under the 5 GB limit if it is enforced. So I'd be sitting at only using about 53% of 5 GB... and that's if I keep downloading stuff like i did the first five days and streaming like i was...

I imagine my downloads will go down, but my streaming might go up... anyway, my point is that i don't think, even if a 5 GB limit is enforced, you should have a problem.... but returning it is up to you.

EDIT: Just realized I've had it for 5 days, not 4 like I originally wrote this post as... numbers fixed :D

P.S. I <3 MY DROID!

Last edited:

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Found this also...

From droidforums.net said:
"Ok there have been WAY too many people that have misconceptions about the data usage on their phones.

The $30 plan that you got to surf the web and to play with your apps. This plan includes "UNLIMITED" data usage. It does NOT have 5GB cap. This has been confirmed by 3 verizon reps on our site. Also confirmed if you read the terms and conditions of the data plan you purchase. The terms and conditions can be found on their website, or below this paragraph.

planterms.pdf

The 5GB data usage plans are for following and ONLY for the following: USB Modems, PC Cards, ExpressCards, MiFi 2200, Notebooks, Netbooks, OR if you are tethering a device from a: Mobile Broadband Connect-capable smartphone or blackberry. Shown in the PDF file below.

Mobile Broadband Plans for USB Modems.pdf

On your Phone as long as you are using it ONLY as a phone to access the internet, play games, listen to the radio, or whatever else the phone is capable of (NOT TETHERING!) it is unlimited.

*WARNING* If you do find a way to tether the phone without paying for it, verizon wireless has the ability to find out that you are doing it. While it is unlikely that they find you if you stay under 5GB, they still have the ability to. They will charge you the full amount for the data usage for the times you've used it if caught."

but as my point above demonstrates... even if it did have a 5 GB limit... you shouldn't have to worry about it.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Below is the Verizon TOS. I guess technically they could get mad if you go over 5GB on the phone itself. The blackberry or smartphone add-ons are considered VZEmail services and the below applies to "certain" VZEmail services. Wonder what their definition of CONTINUOUS streaming of audio or video. And if you go over 5GB on the phone, there is probably a chance they could assume you're tethering.

DATA PLANS AND FEATURES

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.

PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry? Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect.

Herc130

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for digging the info for me and others. I didn't really want to return the phone as I am otherwise very happy with it and mine seems to be mechanically sound and working very well. No problems at all that software updates can't fix.

So.. with that being said, taking 0.086 GB/day and applying that over a 31 day month I'll get 2.67 GB... still WAY under the 5 GB limit if it is enforced. So I'd be sitting at only using about 53% of 5 GB... and that's if I keep downloading stuff like i did the first five days and streaming like i was...

Try streaming just a little bit of video. I am at 120MB of data usage randomly using it over the course of only 4 hours since I didn't get it from fedex till late in the day. I really didn't use it much at all. I can see myself easily approaching 500mb a day just using youtube, nevermind streaming movies or tv shows from some of the apps that allows you to do so.

Last edited:

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Try streaming just a little bit of video. I am at 120MB of data usage randomly using it over the course of only 4 hours since I didn't get it from fedex till late in the day. I really didn't use it much at all. I can see myself easily approaching 500mb a day just using youtube, nevermind streaming movies or tv shows from some of the apps that allows you to do so.

Ahh... thats the one thing I haven't really done much of...

wadet

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
unlimited

I have cingular ( sorry it ATT now - that another story), but I have unlimited data (internet) and there is no cap and I stream w/o any limits and download and get email with attachments w/o limits.

sprint_fan

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
If AT&T had a 5 gigabyte cap on all of their iPhone users, and they enforced them, I think you would see a lot of people having their plans canceled from over usage and going over the limit! For a smart phone like this, and also having the raised early termination fees for phones like this, it should get AT&T having the caps with their overloaded network, not Verizon.

granadzo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Its unlimited for phone usage and 5GBs for tethering. Same applies for BB and other smart phones. I used to watch YouTube and surf the web on my bb all day. You will be good.

So true, I use my BB all the time and I dod not incur any charges. I do not have the tethering option.

Dr01DL0V3R

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Confirmed Info about Unlimited Data Plan from Verizion Rep

So with all the rumors out there about the unlimited plan not being unlimited, the pandora app being a trap for overage charges etc, I decided to go right to the source and contact Verizion. I spoke with a rep today and she assured me that there is NO LIMIT if you are using your phone to access the web, stream pandora etc. The limit applies to broadband devices only. Therefore if you only use your Droid you are free and truly not limited to an amount of data. She said shes streams pandora all day everyday and I am free to do the same with mine :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol