The Grass Is Always Greener: Switching to T-Mobile

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's start some scenarios for those possibly looking at leaving Verizon because of the loss of unlimited data (not including the cost of the devices and any prorated first month charges).

T-Mobile still features unlimited data access, but throttles after a certain point.

Unlimited talk and text on 2 smartphones with 10GB of total data bandwidth -

T-Mobile Individual

Smartphone 1
Unlimited voice/text: $60
Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35

Smartphone 2
Unlimited voice/text: $60
Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $190

T-Mobile Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 unlimited voice/text: $100
Smartphone 1 Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35
Smartphone 2 Unlimited data (throttled after 5GB): $35

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $170

Verizon Share Everything -

Smartphone 1 (unlimited voice/texts): $40
Smartphone 2 (unlimited voice/texts): $40
Shared 10GB of data: $100

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $180

You can shrink the bill a bit if you go with the Classic 1000 Talk/Text plan.

T-Mobile Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 1000 voice/unlimited text: $80

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $150

Conclusion on this example: you can go even cheaper if you opt to go with a 2GB limit on unthrottled data but then again, users here would probably go over that. You won't get hit with overages but your speeds will slow down.

Another option would be to go with their no-contract Value plans so that you won't be locked into a contract, but you'd have to buy your phone outright.

Last edited:
Reactions: lpt2569

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizons lte is superior to any other carriers out there and so is their service and coverage. I'm over unlimited and I think others need to realize that. I would never go 2 a joke of a network like t mobile, because of a few bucks and unlimited. T mobile won't be around in the next 5 yrs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizons lte is superior to any other carriers out there and so is their service and coverage. I'm over unlimited and I think others need to realize that. I would never go 2 a joke of a network like t mobile, because of a few bucks and unlimited. T mobile won't be around in the next 5 yrs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

While Verizon may be best overall according to surveys, other carriers may work as well if not better for specific customers.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile Month to Month: Unlimited Texts, 5GB Data (throttled after), and 100 voice minutes. $30 a month.

2 phones on this plan: $60 a month. You want unlimited voice too? Prepaid unlimited. $100 for two lines.

Yes, verizon has a massive coverage advantage. But I'm willing to give Tmobile a try. My sim should be here next week.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile Month to Month: Unlimited Texts, 5GB Data (throttled after), and 100 voice minutes. $30 a month.

2 phones on this plan: $60 a month. You want unlimited voice too? Prepaid unlimited. $100 for two lines.

Yes, verizon has a massive coverage advantage. But I'm willing to give Tmobile a try. My sim should be here next week.

Biggest problem with T-mobile is consistency. I'm in a very good coverage area for them, and nothing is consistent about the experience. One place I could get 12 mbps down, and another I could barely break 1. It REALLY depends on your area.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I might do a test of T-Mobile's network here in a few weeks too. Haven't really heard of too many complaints from my friends and family around Southern California.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I might do a test of T-Mobile's network here in a few weeks too. Haven't really heard of too many complaints from my friends and family around Southern California.

If they're good in your area, wouldn't hurt to give them a try. Their plans are way better than Verizon's, and the network can be just as fast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I was on T Mobile before VZW. I had so many problems with dropped calls I paid the penalty to get out of that contract. Their SoCal coverage in my opinion stinks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
OP made a glaring error in his math.

T-Mobile Family

Smartphone 1 and 2 unlimited voice/text: $100

Monthly bill excluding fees/taxes: $160

That adds up to $170.

Anyway, I did the T-Mo experiment and it flat out did not work for me. I had EDGE coverage at work, and home was a fringe area for voice / SMS coverage as well. WiFi calling is an option, but only if you purchase a phone from them with the capability. The Nexus S didn't fit that description. I was hoping the grass was greener, but it sure wasn't.

I've been back on AT&T, and it's been nice to have options of plenty of unlocked devices again, without worry of compatibility with an odd frequency.