Stop & think!

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
And if that doesn't work, Yell in protest with your wallets & choose another carrier that will suit your needs without bending you over.

Sorry bro, but they're all going to screw you, one way or another. The only difference is which one will use protection, lube, or just stick it in dry and hope it hurts like hell.

Reactions: gonzo2186 and Ry

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
STOP & THINK PEOPLE!

Who says that a person who uses more than 2 gigs of data a month is a "data hog"? Where did this come from?? Why are some of us as consumers so accepting of this arbitrary number/notion?? The big 2 (& T-mobile) have done an excellent job conitioning us to think that Joe public is a bad man because he uses 6 gigs of UNLIMITED data. Why?

These companies have marketed & sold us a service where almost evertything we do with their product requires data. But don't worry - data is unlimited. Apps running in the background, pulling data at will, virtually out of our control. No need to worry - unlimited! No room for your music that you just downloaded using data? No problem - store it in the cloud! Then use your data again (& again) to listen to it. You have unlimited data right? Want to back up those precious pictures? "To the cloud!" Want to view em? Data. Want to keep with your friends thorugh social media? More data. Get the point? Data is like crack!

Then they pull the rug out from under us... One. Step. At. A. Time.

Stop & think

No more unlimited data plans for new customers. Most of us breathe a sigh of relief. "I'm grandfathered WHOHOO!"

Now Verizon is tightening the noose/ taking away a little more crack, with their latest plan which may or may not cost you more money. Stop & think. Would Verizon make a plan that takes less money out of your pocket? They know that most of us are going to choose the smallest data plan that we "think" we need. And then wait for the overages to pile up, making more $$. "Free Wifi teathering included". That's mighty white of Verizon. They know that browsing on your laptop consumes ALOT more data than on your mobile. As an example, just look at the difference between Android Central's mobile page & the same page on you laptop/home PC. The difference is startling. Verizon bean counters are wringing their hands in anticipation of you using "free" included teathering!

"I'll keep my grandfathered unlimited data by buying my next phone unsubsidized". Stop & think. You are now without contract, month to month. How long do you think Pig Red is going to let you stay month to month unlimited before they say "Uh uh. We need you to choose one of our (GREAT!) new plans" or "based on your usage, here's the plan "we think" best suits you"... Without a contract, they can tell you to pony up or beat sand. SO, I hope you just spent $600 plus on an unsubsidized phone that you can take to a different carrier.

"I don't use/need big data/I use free Wifi at home/work".
Stop & think. I guarantee you - EVERY SINGLE ISP IS WAITING TO SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES WHEN VILE-RIZON IMPLEMENTS THIS! Do you think that every other ISP, be it mobile or landline, will continue to offer unlimited data if Verizon can charge per data usage??? Do you think your work will continue to let you use their newly tiered data for your personal device? Where are you going to get your free crack when your home ISP charges per usage/exceeding data caps? It's already happening - look at Con-cast.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, whether you are a Verizon customer or not, should be absolutly furious about these changes being foisted upon us. I dosen't matter if you don't have to "choose" this plan "right now"! Because, one way or another, this corporate greed is eventually going to affect us all. Every single one of us, Verizon or not, should make as much noise/ protest these changes as possible. And if that doesn't work, Yell in protest with your wallets & choose another carrier that will suit your needs without bending you over.

A phone is first and foremost a phone. Yes they market all of these data intesuve products, but we CHOOSE to use them. My 4 year old zune still plays stored music just fine. I have plenty of games and apps that I can play with that require no data. They can be updated when I choose (over wifi). I can set up my email to pull when I choose. Just for the heck of it (after Verizon announced their new plans) I began using wifi whenever possible (home, office, Starbucks,etc) during this billing cycle. I went from nearly 4 gigs to under one gig. Also, they are begining a massive project to set up a ton of their own wifi hotspots for their customers to alleviate the traffic over the next year. I know they are mostly concerned with their bottom line, but I do truly believe that they want to provide the best possible network, and based on their track record, they will continue to do that.

It boils down to supply and demand......just like anything. They can only charge what we are willing to pay, and over the past couple years, we have proven that we will spend out entertainment dollars on data. Lets face it, the massive data consumption is strictly entertainment. I'm not killing 4 gigs uploading work files and sending clients huge emails. I'm doing it playing games, streaming music, and streaming video,......like all of you.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
A phone is first and foremost a phone. Yes they market all of these data intesuve products, but we CHOOSE to use them. My 4 year old zune still plays stored music just fine. I have plenty of games and apps that I can play with that require no data. They can be updated when I choose (over wifi). I can set up my email to pull when I choose. Just for the heck of it (after Verizon announced their new plans) I began using wifi whenever possible (home, office, Starbucks,etc) during this billing cycle. I went from nearly 4 gigs to under one gig. Also, they are begining a massive project to set up a ton of their own wifi hotspots for their customers to alleviate the traffic over the next year. I know they are mostly concerned with their bottom line, but I do truly believe that they want to provide the best possible network, and based on their track record, they will continue to do that.

It boils down to supply and demand......just like anything. They can only charge what we are willing to pay, and over the past couple years, we have proven that we will spend out entertainment dollars on data. Lets face it, the massive data consumption is strictly entertainment. I'm not killing 4 gigs uploading work files and sending clients huge emails. I'm doing it playing games, streaming music, and streaming video,......like all of you.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Just because they can charge it, and we do pay it, that doesn't make it any less crappy... but indeed they CAN and will charge it, people will complain while paying it, and still others will defend the practices. Aren't phone plans more reasonable in other countries? The thing I really have a problem with is the price of fuel. That is a problem nearly everyone can appreciate.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Android Central Forums

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry bro, but they're all going to screw you, one way or another. The only difference is which one will use protection, lube, or just stick it in dry and hope it hurts like hell.

As accurate as it may be, I can't help but shudder at how vulgar that statement is.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Aren't phone plans more reasonable in other countries? The thing I really have a problem with is the price of fuel. That is a problem nearly everyone can appreciate.

yes and no. Many/most countries have a New every 3 implemented. I bet you would be up in arms if USA went to a new phone every 3 years. Other countries dont have the speeds we do here as well.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
yes and no. Many/most countries have a New every 3 implemented. I bet you would be up in arms if USA went to a new phone every 3 years. Other countries dont have the speeds we do here as well.

Really, my friends in Germany just buy phones when they want to buy a phone. They don't get subsidized phones. Which countries other than the US and Canada still get subsidized new phones?

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the idea is actually solid. I think most people have an issue with the cost. They could have at least mirrored the current plan, $30 for 2 GB. $50 for 1 GB is ridiculous.

Reactions: arizonamman

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Really, my friends in Germany just buy phones when they want to buy a phone. They don't get subsidized phones. Which countries other than the US and Canada still get subsidized new phones?

I'm sure the of contact prices are better because the carriers aren't pushing people to subsidized phones and contracts. Here the off contract prices are crazy at least for new in the box phones .

arizonamman

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Sales, SALes, SALES. Such is the nature of the world (and what is wrong with it!). It's all about the bottom line for the stockholders. Customer Service use to mean just that. Now it means SALES and you have to talk to a tier 3 CSR before you can get an answer (I use to be a tier 3). As soon as popup ads hit their precious spectrum they will reap the rewards of all the unsuspecting rats scrambling in a maze looking for a better deal. Alas, there will not be one because, like frogs put in tepid water gradually brought to a boil, all their friends went in before them. Netflix found out that they turned up the heat too fast. Evidently, Big Red waited until everyone jumped in before they turned the heat up. Remember, salesmen and saleswomen always want to sell you something you don't want and don't need and if you did, you can't afford it! Look out overage charges, here they come!

BTW, if any cell company wants more spectrum, and the company is fiscally responsible, they would have the spectrum and not need to cry that they don't have enough and use that as an excuse to screw you dry. It's BAD management, pure and simple. What you are paying for is the new fancy ads and their new humongous cloud while at the same time keeping their profit above Wall Street expectations. Hence, April 10 stock price was 36.80; June 29, 44.44.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sales, SALes, SALES. Such is the nature of the world (and what is wrong with it!). It's all about the bottom line for the stockholders. Customer Service use to mean just that. Now it means SALES and you have to talk to a tier 3 CSR before you can get an answer (I use to be a tier 3). As soon as popup ads hit their precious spectrum they will reap the rewards of all the unsuspecting rats scrambling in a maze looking for a better deal. Alas, there will not be one because, like frogs put in tepid water gradually brought to a boil, all their friends went in before them. Netflix found out that they turned up the heat too fast. Evidently, Big Red waited until everyone jumped in before they turned the heat up. Remember, salesmen and saleswomen always want to sell you something you don't want and don't need and if you did, you can't afford it! Look out overage charges, here they come!

BTW, if any cell company wants more spectrum, and the company is fiscally responsible, they would have the spectrum and not need to cry that they don't have enough and use that as an excuse to screw you dry. It's BAD management, pure and simple. What you are paying for is the new fancy ads and their new humongous cloud while at the same time keeping their profit above Wall Street expectations. Hence, April 10 stock price was 36.80; June 29, 44.44.

Your tin foil hat is too tight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ry

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If a phone can last 3 years I would be happy with that. I am not tough on my devices at all. Mine will be a yr old in August and other than the kickstand peeling you would not know it is a used device. My Thunderbolt looks brand new. I take very good care of my devices. And am thrilled it has been trouble free. But if 3 years would bring the cost of the phone to be lower then I am all for it and updates in a timely manner.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
They want us to buy new toys but they don't want us to "play" with our new toys. Why would I buy a smartphone that is capable of streaming video and music and not use that feature? Where I work there is no wifi so I need to use my data plan if I want to stream music or video or just check my email. Very easy to go over 2 GB limit if you are streaming video. So I am not a data hog if I am using my smartphone the way it was intended. Otherwise the music/video apps are useless.

dalmi

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is not making you give up your unlimited data, they are just trying to convince you that you should. Personally, paying full price for a phone is a small price to pay for unlimited data.

I'm personally happy with my gnex so I don't think I'll be getting a phone any time soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Allow me to sum up why I NEED Unlimited in one screenshot:

a6f80e5c-2c12-0e82.jpg

Now let me explain why. At home, I use Verizon DSL. I don't have a choice. FiOS isn't in my area. DSL speed is at the basic 1Mb down. Verizon refuses to upgrade the phone lines on my street for better DSL.

So when I need to get things done, here comes mobile to the rescue. Win8 download? Mobile. Ubuntu? Mobile. Uploading large files? Mobile. 3G is faster than my home connection.

Oh, and I can't forget about how my home connection drops every single day at 10:49 PM on the dot. It also drops every time I get a landline phone call.

So, Verizon, don't blame ME for trying to work around some shoddy service another branch of YOU provides. I'd love to pony up for FiOS. Can't. Faster DSL? Can't. I've been wrangling with sales for over 3 years now. Give me a break.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Allow me to sum up why I NEED Unlimited in one screenshot:

Click to view quoted image

Now let me explain why. At home, I use Verizon DSL. I don't have a choice. FiOS isn't in my area. DSL speed is at the basic 1Mb down. Verizon refuses to upgrade the phone lines on my street for better DSL.

So when I need to get things done, here comes mobile to the rescue. Win8 download? Mobile. Ubuntu? Mobile. Uploading large files? Mobile. 3G is faster than my home connection.

Oh, and I can't forget about how my home connection drops every single day at 10:49 PM on the dot. It also drops every time I get a landline phone call.

So, Verizon, don't blame ME for trying to work around some shoddy service another branch of YOU provides. I'd love to pony up for FiOS. Can't. Faster DSL? Can't. I've been wrangling with sales for over 3 years now. Give me a break.

Is Verizon the only home internet provider available to you?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Is Verizon the only home internet provider available to you?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

It's either Verizon or Comcast. Either way I get screwed, might as well keep it the way it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton