Phone/Plan Optimization

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a Galaxy Nexus and am very pleased with it

That being said, I've heard rumblings about changes to users with unlimited data plans (I do have an unlimited data plan) and wanted to see if I could optimize my plan/phone

1. I was planning on purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S3 with one of the available upgrades on my account. Is my understanding correct in that upgrades made before 6/28/12 still allow me to keep my unlimited data plan?

2. From here, I do not plan on upgrading my device using discounted pricing again as I understand I would lose my unlimited data, is this correct? I need to purchase phones at full retail price in order to maintain my unlimited data, is this correct?

3. How does the dynamic change if there are other family members involved? For instance, we currently share our minutes via a family plan but each person has a separate data account (I am the only one with unlimited). Are we going to be forced into a family data share plan? Would I lose my unlimited data in this scenario anyway?

4. If I plan on selling my Galaxy Nexus, I plan on wiping it, flashing stock 4.0.4, and relocking the device. Is there anything else I need to do? Alert Verizon so the ESN will be valid for the new buyer? Remove my SIM card?

5. This one is more an opinion question, my Galaxy Nexus is nearly spotless. I'm reading on eBay it's pretty easy to fetch nearly $300 for it. Worthwhile? I'm having thoughts of just sitting on the phone and having a phenomenal backup device especially if all future phones need to be purchased at full retail price

Thanks so much for all the help!

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I currently own a Galaxy Nexus and am very pleased with it

That being said, I've heard rumblings about changes to users with unlimited data plans (I do have an unlimited data plan) and wanted to see if I could optimize my plan/phone

1. I was planning on purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S3 with one of the available upgrades on my account. Is my understanding correct in that upgrades made before 6/28/12 still allow me to keep my unlimited data plan?

2. From here, I do not plan on upgrading my device using discounted pricing again as I understand I would lose my unlimited data, is this correct? I need to purchase phones at full retail price in order to maintain my unlimited data, is this correct?

3. How does the dynamic change if there are other family members involved? For instance, we currently share our minutes via a family plan but each person has a separate data account (I am the only one with unlimited). Are we going to be forced into a family data share plan? Would I lose my unlimited data in this scenario anyway?

4. If I plan on selling my Galaxy Nexus, I plan on wiping it, flashing stock 4.0.4, and relocking the device. Is there anything else I need to do? Alert Verizon so the ESN will be valid for the new buyer? Remove my SIM card?

5. This one is more an opinion question, my Galaxy Nexus is nearly spotless. I'm reading on eBay it's pretty easy to fetch nearly $300 for it. Worthwhile? I'm having thoughts of just sitting on the phone and having a phenomenal backup device especially if all future phones need to be purchased at full retail price

Thanks so much for all the help!

1) Correct
2) Correct
3) No, unless you voluntarily change your entire family plan to Share Everything, your unlimited data is safe regardless of upgrades or account changes.
4) Bring back to stock, keep SIM, ready to go.

You could have just searched for everything you asked but you were too lazy and wanted to create another thread.

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
1) Correct
2) Correct
3) No, unless you voluntarily change your entire family plan to Share Everything, your unlimited data is safe regardless of upgrades or account changes.
4) Bring back to stock, keep SIM, ready to go.

You could have just searched for everything you asked but you were too lazy and wanted to create another thread.

I think each of us needs to start threads for every single scenario for every single phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan