Vzw hates that you have unlimited data

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Went into verizon for a replacement. Guy trying to tell me that since I changed the minutes on my plan it could put me on the new shared plan and kick me off unlimited data. *whuuuut?* i asked for a supervisor who corrected him but it sounded like the way the system there is set up now they're trying to trick people into the new plan. If you go in for *anything* make sure you tell them you don't want the new plan. He told me if it's just a replacement and a minutes change its not a new contract.

He still said i should call CS just in case it automatically s my unlimited.

They want people off unlimited data like a teenage boy on prom night wants to see boobies

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
oh yeah. and I'm fighting it to the death. at a minimum, I'm keeping my last 12 months of unlimited data. but then....decision time. do I keep the flagship of Verizon 4G LTE??? probably not. or do I try ebay for an 'verizon approved' phone, and hopefully keep my unlimited data??? OR, do I pay $500-600 full price for two new phones??? definately not. damn you, verizon.

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
lol "like a teenage boy wants to see boobies".

no and i got ya...i got this really nice, fancy email telling me about the "Great" new plans...i kinda ignored it until last night when i went on their site and realized that share everything is the ONLY option! ugh!

I went to Tmo today and talked to a girl there. she made a pretty good case. i'm actually sitting here thinking i can sell my razr maxx and get a GS3 on tmo. haha.

Reactions: xXBLACKBERRYXx5

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
They sure didn't hate the early ones like me that they gave unlimited hotspot and data to to test their network for them in the beginning

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Corporations don't "hate". They may be pressing their employees to move people out of unlimited data plans, but they're not forcing anyone out. And they probably never will. What they'll do when the time comes is just refuse to renew unlimited contracts. You'll either accept one of the new contracts or you'll find a new carrier.

I wish we could all get past the "evil corporation" BS. It's a business decision, nothing more and nothing less. Emotions like "hate" are all on our side. All the vitriol, all the name calling, it's all coming from the consumer, not from the corporation.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Corporations don't "hate". They may be pressing their employees to move people out of unlimited data plans, but they're not forcing anyone out. And they probably never will. What they'll do when the time comes is just refuse to renew unlimited contracts. You'll either accept one of the new contracts or you'll find a new carrier.

That sounds EXACTLY like they are forcing people off unlimited data plans.

What I meant to emphasize here was that the computer system wasn't letting the rep give me a warranty replacement because I had a pending change to my minutes. On the 25th I used the app to change from 1400 to 700 which would go into effect on my next cycle which was after the 28th. From what I could gather, the computer wanted to automatically put me into the new shared plan.

So now you can't even change your minutes if you have an old plan? I told him to just leave it at 1400.

If I lose my unlimited data over a warranty exchange I'll be heated.

I really hate verizon right now.

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
from what i understand, you're correct.

you can't change your minutes cause those plans no longer exist. so if you change, you have to go with the shared ones.

i went to tmo today to try and escape this a little longer. i just don't understand the $40 charge just to have a line on plan. seems silly for only one device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
i went to tmo today to try and escape this a little longer. i just don't understand the $40 charge just to have a line on plan. seems silly for only one device.

To be fair - what did $40 get you for one device before Share Everything?

Wasn't it 450 minutes, no text messages, and no data?

Just sayin'.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Reactions: fofjjsr

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
actually....what i'm saying is the plan is $60 which isn't bad...but then they charge you an ADDITIONAL $40 for having a line on that plan. and from what i understand, any extra device is another $40. A real pain for people with a phone and an ipad, for example.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
That sounds EXACTLY like they are forcing people off unlimited data plans.

What I meant to emphasize here was that the computer system wasn't letting the rep give me a warranty replacement because I had a pending change to my minutes. On the 25th I used the app to change from 1400 to 700 which would go into effect on my next cycle which was after the 28th. From what I could gather, the computer wanted to automatically put me into the new shared plan.

So now you can't even change your minutes if you have an old plan? I told him to just leave it at 1400.

If I lose my unlimited data over a warranty exchange I'll be heated.

I really hate verizon right now.

A computer glitch or an employee who can't operate the computer properly is not VZ forcing you off unlimited data Even if it's true and you can't change the details of your plan without losing unlimited data, that's still not VZ forcing you off unlimited data. You're welcome to stay with the original contract terms and keep unlimited data.

You have a contract with your cell phone provider, even when the 2 year date is up and you go month to month you and the provider are still working off the terms of that contract agreement. The only difference is that now you or the provider can end the relationship at any time with no legal or financial implications. As soon as one of you changes the details so can the other.

Verizon is the one abiding by the rules that were set when you signed the contract. You're the one who thinks you should be able to change the terms of the agreement but that Verizon can't.

Honestly, if you still can't understand that then I suggest a business course at your local college.

Reactions: fofjjsr and Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
actually....what i'm saying is the plan is $60 which isn't bad...but then they charge you an ADDITIONAL $40 for having a line on that plan. and from what i understand, any extra device is another $40. A real pain for people with a phone and an ipad, for example.

Wait what? Not sure where the $60 is coming from.

Are you referring to the $60 for 2GB of shared data? That's the data option. It's part of the plan, not THE plan.

The cost for additional devices depends on the device.

Example:

Samsung Galaxy SIII (line access with unlimited talk/text): $40
Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX (line access with unlimited talk/text): $40
Apple iPad 4G LTE (line access): $10

6GB of Shared Data access between those three devices: $80

Total: $170.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the New shared data plans is that they may be fine for a single person, maybe a couple, but add in teenagers that will burn thru data, especially once all phones are on 4g, and it will get expensive very quickly.

I currently have 5 phoned on my account, 3 dumb phones with data blocked and 2 smart phones with unlimited data. Add in unlimited texting and 1400 minutes and my bill, with employee discounts, is $201/month.

New plan would be $170 PLUS data package. My wife is fine with 2gb, but I run around 6gb a month. You do the math....

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the New shared data plans is that they may be fine for a single person, maybe a couple, but add in teenagers that will burn thru data, especially once all phones are on 4g, and it will get expensive very quickly.

It's called parenting.

Oh and how's that any different than teenagers that go over minute allotment? Or their texting package?

bed269

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded my son's line with the subsidy. Actually upgraded 2 months early also. His phone crapped out. The first guy I talked to told me all of my lines would have to go on the shared data plan but after Ry said in a post that is incorrect I called back and was informed that line would just go onto tiered data. I ordered the phone, they billed my account and since I'm on vacation my son activated the phone with no issues. They did call me to verify that he could activate. When the lady activated the phone the rep said he could keep his unlimited data. So far my account hasn't changed. It might when the new billing cycle rolls around. I don't mind him being on tiered data because if he goes over he will pay the overage.

I believe the biggest problem Verizon has is some of their reps aren't trained enough on the new plans. The rep on the phone even told me to use someone else's upgrade to keep my unlimited data. Most of the reps are super helpful but there is a few that just don't know or understand all the plans.

Thanks again Ry for the information on the tiered data being available on upgrades.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
To be fair - what did $40 get you for one device before Share Everything?

Wasn't it 450 minutes, no text messages, and no data?

Just sayin'.

Yeah, but you had unlimited data for $30. Now you get much less data at a higher cost(*for most anyway.*) A smartphone is all about data. They know minutes and text aren't going to bring nowhere near as much money as data, especially when you can use a app like Google Voice and get minutes and text messages free! So that's why you get that stuff (*text and minutes*) unlimited.

Last edited:

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I actually went over my txt limit this billing period which i don't usually do. My partner on the shared plan is huge text and phone user. Me? Mostly data. I went to VZW store where i bought my maxx and changed to new plan. Unlimited talk, text and 6gb data. I'm saving $30/mo. I'm happy cuz it's best for our needs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Voice-Guy

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
We have 2 smartphones & a dumb phone. We never come close to going over minutes or texts and use less than a gig of data... but the VZW Rep suggested we upgrade before the new shared data plans took effect. If we didn't our monthly bill would've gone up $50-$60. For us it was less about keeping unlimited data and more about saving money.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but you had unlimited data for $30. Now you get much less data at a higher cost(*for most anyway.*) A smartphone is all about data. They know minutes and text aren't going to bring nowhere near as much money as data, especially when you can use a app like Google Voice and get minutes and text messages free! So that's why you get that stuff (*text and minutes*) unlimited.

Yes. Exactly. The value is now with data and Verizon has adjusted their plans to maintain ARPU.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded my son's line with the subsidy. Actually upgraded 2 months early also. His phone crapped out. The first guy I talked to told me all of my lines would have to go on the shared data plan but after Ry said in a post that is incorrect I called back and was informed that line would just go onto tiered data. I ordered the phone, they billed my account and since I'm on vacation my son activated the phone with no issues. They did call me to verify that he could activate. When the lady activated the phone the rep said he could keep his unlimited data. So far my account hasn't changed. It might when the new billing cycle rolls around. I don't mind him being on tiered data because if he goes over he will pay the overage.

I believe the biggest problem Verizon has is some of their reps aren't trained enough on the new plans. The rep on the phone even told me to use someone else's upgrade to keep my unlimited data. Most of the reps are super helpful but there is a few that just don't know or understand all the plans.

Thanks again Ry for the information on the tiered data being available on upgrades.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Anytime.

Remember, these are sales reps we're dealing with. Checking in to forums like this is part of research.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer