Google Voice Minutes on Verizon

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon mobile to verizon mobile does not use any of my minutes. If I use Google Voice to Verizon mobile, are minutes used?

Absolutely yes.

Remember, your Google Voice number is just a way to route your calls.

For example, when you place a call "using Google Voice," you are actually telling your phone to dial a 3rd party number (likely a computer router of some sort), where your phone then tells that computer what number to dial. So, what Verizon sees, is you calling this 3rd party number, not the number you actually are calling...

Does that make sense?

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I think if you have a certain plan you get 5 contacts who minutes don't count for. If you put the number google voice dials out to for one of those contacts, I believe you don't get charged minutes for any google voice call.

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I think if you have a certain plan you get 5 contacts who minutes don't count for. If you put the number google voice dials out to for one of those contacts, I believe you don't get charged minutes for any google voice call.

For that feature, you have to have a plan of at least 1,400 minutes.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Holy crap never thought of added my gv to my circle . Thanks this will save me a crap load of mins.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Depending on how you use google voice, you may need to add 2 numbers. If you actually dial your gv number and then enter the number you want to call, you're fine with the one but if you're using the app, it actually dials another number each time you make a call using google voice. Also, you'll need to turn caller id off in the settings online if you want free incoming.

AllGood

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Depending on how you use google voice, you may need to add 2 numbers. If you actually dial your gv number and then enter the number you want to call, you're fine with the one but if you're using the app, it actually dials another number each time you make a call using google voice. Also, you'll need to turn caller id off in the settings online if you want free incoming.

I have been using this method pretty much since GV was released in beta. The dial out number did change a lot at first but for the past 6 months or so has been they same, at least for me.

Like he said though you do need to add both numbers to your my circle and set GV to show that number as the incoming call. You will lose the caller id aspect though as it will always show that number. You can dig through the app and get the number of who called though.

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Just got GV configured and wanted to make sure I got this right. I do not use GV to send calls, so I added my GV number to my Friends and Family list. That should take care of things correct?