Verizon and their customer service... Or lack there of

Dissident

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
So not sure if anyone else has had this issue, and but when I received my S3 I switched my Xoom service over to the share everything plan. As soon as the CSR, did that my Xoom lost data service.

To make a long story short, three phone calls, and multiple transfers, and a full 7 days of being promised a resolution and return phone calls, neither of which happen, resulted in me asking for a month credit on my account for the Xoom since I was paying for something I could not use... A month credit is only $10.

Verizon refused to credit me the $10 and told me I could cancel my service if I wasn't happy. I asked to speak to their customer loyalty department, and again asked for the credit and explained why. She refused, and was insanely condescending and and advised me to go ahead and send my S3 back and that she has canceled my service for me..

Lol, back to AT&T it is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I had something similar happen. I left Verizon last summer for sprint because I was working for them at the time and got a decent discount. Ended up getting booted from sprint because the wife's phone went into roam when inside her building at work. Called Verizon to ask about going back to them and had 3 different reps say they would waive the etfs we had if we came back. So we went back and started getting phone calls from Verizon's collection department and collection agencies about my previous account with Verizon. I called Verizon and wanted it fixed so after 30 minutes with a rep he transferred me to another department. The lady I spoke to was very short and rude with me. She said they were not gonna do anything for me because of policy. So I said I had 3 different reps tell me you would I said was that bad information, she says no we don't give bad information. I said so you tell people what they want to hear to get their business? She says no you must have gotten bad information. I then blew up. Asked to speak to her supervisor she said they were busy so I asked to talk to their supervisor and she told me I couldn't do that. So she scheduled a call back which I never got. I never had them outright not do something they said they would. Usually if they said they would do something they did. Seems to me they don't care about customers being happy or being reputable and keeping their word anymore, all they care about is money. Makes me sad because I loved the service I got on my phone and I would still be with them if they would have done what they said they would. If they would have said no in the first place I would have been fine with it. If your not gonna honor what your people say why in the hell would I give you my money?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow...that's just ridiculous. My husband works customer service with Directv and if anyone threatens to cancel service they'll give all kinds of discounts and do whatever else they can to try and retain that customer.

Also, our cell service is through Sprint, and while Sprint doesn't have the best data speeds, their customer service has always been really great to us. Sorry to hear Verizon is so rude...

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had similar issues when I used Verizon previously. The first major issue I had was regarding changing my number mid billing cycle and having my minutes prorated. Having been burned on Verizon's version of prorating before, I called customer service so a customer service representative told me that my voice package would not be pro-rated with a mid-cycle number change, so I did it. When my next bill came, I discovered that they had prorated my package and having used a disproportional number of minutes late in the month, I had a huge overage bill. When I called customer service to sort it out, the representative was condescending and told me I should have known that they would do that. I did finally get the overage removed, but not without a fight and much irritation.

The second major issue I had was prior to terminating service. I called customer service multiple times to verify my contract end date and terminated my service on that date. I never received a final bill so I called customer service a couple of months later to ask about it. I discovered my account had a termination fee associated with it. Again, I was met with condescension from a fully incompetent customer service representative. She asserted that I had not full filled my contract and was 3 days short, that I had received a free month of service(I had not) and I shouldn't be complaining. The best she offered was a $10 credit and just as a "one time courtesy" that they would send a free reprint of my bill to me(even though I never received the final bill in the first place). After getting off the phone, I was pretty angry so I called back. The second time I was directed to the disconnections department which confirmed I did full fill my contract and credited the full amount my account. After that experience, I vowed never to return to Verizon. After dealing with 2.5 years of AT&T's poor data service, I did return to Verizon for LTE.

I suspect most of Verizon's poor customer service problems are due to poor customer service representative hiring decisions, poor training, and a horribly engineered billing system with a lot of legacy code and complicated business rules. In the past, Verizon also had some serious problems with their business practices and customer relations that made it really horrible to be a customer at times.

So far in my second round with Verizon, my experience has been better but still not excellent. It wouldn't surprise me though if there were still some bad cs reps around and the billing system still has some issues. They are also trending back towards more locked down devices loaded with Verizon crapware.

Dissident

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am sure it is training related, but but I was shocked by their decision. I filed a BBB complaint just for the reason of being able to tell someone a little more important about my experience.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
No company likes bad publicity. Contacting a trouble shooter with a TV station might help get the problem resolved.
Having worked in the wireless industry and bring a multi carrier prior to just verizon I saw that verizon did give the best customer service for the most part. There are bad reps and as a customer o have had my share. Bit I have been able to get issues resolved. Takes patience and sometimes agreeing to disagree. Knowing ins and outs has helped too. When I sold I did my best for the customer. And what irks me the most is being lied to. If there is one piece of advice I can give is have the rep document. Make sure you have that call in writing on what you are told. Get their name and the call center they work at. Don't just believe them. Because if there is misinformation given you have it documented for your case at hand

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Surely that can't be the entire story? After multiple replacements, one thing I can say is their customer service is excellent.

Only way I can even imagine something like that happening is if perhaps the customer became extremely verbally abusive?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My friend called Verizon today because she was about to go over her minutes and Verizon gave her 150 free minutes to hold her over.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Big Red for 12 years now, and bad customer service is NOT the norm for them. I work in a call center for UPS, (15 years now) and yes, there will always be exceptions to the rule. between customer service and tech support, I'll bet I've had less than five "bad" experiences with a Verizon rep. now IN STORE....that's another matter completely...:D

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Surely that can't be the entire story? After multiple replacements, one thing I can say is their customer service is excellent.

Only way I can even imagine something like that happening is if perhaps the customer became extremely verbally abusive?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

yep, I'm gonna go with your assumption. society in general seem to think that they can "go off" on folks just because "I'm the customer". Not saying that the OP did this, but it's becoming more and more the norm these days. I should know , I work 67 hours a week in a call center for UPS and on the floor at Walmart.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
yep, I'm gonna go with your assumption. society in general seem to think that they can "go off" on folks just because "I'm the customer". Not saying that the OP did this, but it's becoming more and more the norm these days. I should know , I work 67 hours a week in a call center for UPS and on the floor at Walmart.

This.

I'm always very polite to the representative on the other side of the line. It's not their fault that I'm calling for a specific issue. I do make it known if I'm frustrated over the issue that I'm having but in a polite and calm manner. I've found that this is the only way to get anywhere as the representative will be willing to work with you just a bit more since I didn't make their day miserable.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon this morning to see if they could offer me 50 bonus minutes as a safety net as I'm at 407/450 with a few days to go. Verizon did it with no questions asked as a one time courtesy so I appreciate that. But then he tried forcing a shared plan on me and I only have one line. Kept telling me that my internet usage is generally .23 GB which seems off but maybe true. Said for $16 more than I pay now I could do unlimited minutes, text, and 2 GB of data. Told me to consider it so I never worry about minutes and my usage shows is benefit. But he ignored the stats this month..

407 Minutes used, 1.2 GB of data, 1000+ text messages.

So I'm nearly as close this month to the 2GB limit as I am going over my current minutes. Lol, but this isn't his fault as I'm sure he's told to say it. Customer service is amazing and he was very helpful. Just found his reasons for switching sort of funny. I may do it in the future when I have a tablet with a cellular data radio but probably not until then. And even then I'd need more than 2 GB.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That sucks to hear! Sorry that they had bad CS. After looking into switching from Sprint my self I ended up going with att. Their CS so far has been great! Both from 611 and the local corp stores. No complaints from my end!

Verizon had issues when I had them 5-6 years ago. And I only had a basic phone then. I left for the Palm Pre- on Sprint. Sprint was good at first...Then the network never changed and I left a few months ago for att. After looking at both. I couldn't bare the bad CS again from our Verizon corp store. So I have taken a liking to att my self. If you do happen to come back...Welcome back! If not...Good luck with Verizon and I hope your able to get the issues fix!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow...that's just ridiculous. My husband works customer service with Directv and if anyone threatens to cancel service they'll give all kinds of discounts and do whatever else they can to try and retain that customer.

Also, our cell service is through Sprint, and while Sprint doesn't have the best data speeds, their customer service has always been really great to us. Sorry to hear Verizon is so rude...

I know that is true with direct TV, just mention dish network and the deals come flying your way.

Problem with Verizon is they got to big and they know people don't have much choice which is partially because the FCC don't know how to say no to Verizon. If things don't change, I may be leaving at end of contact as I do have a choice.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon this morning to see if they could offer me 50 bonus minutes as a safety net as I'm at 407/450 with a few days to go. Verizon did it with no questions asked as a one time courtesy so I appreciate that. But then he tried forcing a shared plan on me and I only have one line. Kept telling me that my internet usage is generally .23 GB which seems off but maybe true. Said for $16 more than I pay now I could do unlimited minutes, text, and 2 GB of data. Told me to consider it so I never worry about minutes and my usage shows is benefit. But he ignored the stats this month..

407 Minutes used, 1.2 GB of data, 1000+ text messages.

So I'm nearly as close this month to the 2GB limit as I am going over my current minutes. Lol, but this isn't his fault as I'm sure he's told to say it. Customer service is amazing and he was very helpful. Just found his reasons for switching sort of funny. I may do it in the future when I have a tablet with a cellular data radio but probably not until then. And even then I'd need more than 2 GB.

I think most Reps make the mistake of looking at averages and don't factor in current. Sounds like this Rep may have.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

And the companies that shower people with freebies are also tradionally companies that are at the bottom of their industry. DirecTV is a good example.

Companies have dropped to the ground and worshiped customers feet for too long, and many companies are seeing how costly this is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol