Hotspot/share everything question

richdroidx

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I have 1 phone and 1 tablet. So with share everything id pay 40 access for phone 10 access for tablet and whatever data plan let say 4gb for 70. My question is since the hotspot feature is free why pay the 10 access for the tablet? Cant i just pay phone access and still use my tab via hotspot from the phone? Or am i missing something

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have 1 phone and 1 tablet. So with share everything id pay 40 access for phone 10 access for tablet and whatever data plan let say 4gb for 70. My question is since the hotspot feature is free why pay the 10 access for the tablet? Cant i just pay phone access and still use my tab via hotspot from the phone? Or am i missing something

Good question and I don't have experience with this. However, I think what that $10 is granting you is access to use the tablet on their 4G LTE network. If you don't pay the $10, you'll have to use your phone as a hotspot each time. I would personally rather pay the $10 so my phone battery doesn't drain in the process but that's just me.

*All speculation

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The only reason to add the tablet for $10 is so that it can be used independently of your phone by another person, or to conserve battery life on your phone or for faster data speeds if your tablet is 4g and your phone is only 3g.....otherwise I would pocket the $10 and just tether the tablet with the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If you don't want to be tethered to your phone or wifi, you can get data access on a cellular enabled tablet for $10.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Finally an answer to my question. I too was wondering why I'd 10 dollars extra per month if I could tether to my phone. Now I understand so thank you.

Now just to clarify, if I pay the 10 dollars per month I run off the verizon network and do not need my phone no matter where I am. It's there, on my tablet, just like it is on my phone, yes? No?

1 more question... do you believe the average data usage is like verizon says on their website? 1-2 gigs per device?

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Finally an answer to my question. I too was wondering why I'd 10 dollars extra per month if I could tether to my phone. Now I understand so thank you.

Now just to clarify, if I pay the 10 dollars per month I run off the verizon network and do not need my phone no matter where I am. It's there, on my tablet, just like it is on my phone, yes? No?

1 more question... do you believe the average data usage is like verizon says on their website? 1-2 gigs per device?

That would be true, but it requires your device to have a Verizon radio in it. Judging by your signature though, you are using a Nexus 7. If that's the tablet you are referring to then there's no way to directly connect it to Verizon's network. It's wifi only. You will have to use your phone's mobile hot spot feature (or other hot spot) in that case.

The 1-2GB per device seems accurate on average. It trends higher if you stream audio or video.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yep. You could leave your phone at home and just use your cellular enabled tablet.

I believe the 1-2GB average. I know a lit of people that don't use a lot.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yep. You could leave your phone at home and just use your cellular enabled tablet.

I believe the 1-2GB average. I know a lit of people that don't use a lot.

well per the other host my nexus 7 would need to have a verizon radio in it and apparently it does not. :(

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Did you subsidize the tablet. Meaning get the discount or is it bought and paid for? Since my tab is still under contract , still have to pay the $10