Verizon and unlimited data

cdjohn81

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I heard that by 2013 Verizon will completely do away with unlimited data to those who r grandfathered in. Don't know if it is true, if it is ill drop them like a bad transmission

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't hear that. Wouldn't surprise me though. But as far as I know, Verizon is not going to subsidize your next phone and let you keep unlimited. As long as that dosen't change, I am fine with it. I can wait 4-6 months after release of a phone I want and buy outright cheaper.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard of this yet so I guess only time will tell. I would be mad but I would still stick with Verizon. I hope they offer us a promotion for 4 GB of data if it ever happens though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

jcarmody8

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about 2013 doing away with plans completely, but as of right now i upgraded my phone last week and my plan changed from unlimited to 2gb. You can keep unlimited if you buy the phone outright. I wasn't aware of this prior to the upgrade. Bummer! :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about 2013 doing away with plans completely, but as of right now i upgraded my phone last week and my plan changed from unlimited to 2gb. You can keep unlimited if you buy the phone outright. I wasn't aware of this prior to the upgrade. Bummer! :(

Return the device and pay the $35 restocking fee. You will be out of the contract and you can request to be moved back to unlimited data. Buy the phone outright from there. You have 14 days from the purchase date to do this.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I actually changed data plans. I had unlimited. Switched to the share everything. Am fine on it

sent from my Rezound

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
There is no way I will switch! It is just physically impossible for to afford the new plans! I love 4G and the speeds it delivers which is why I use over 40gb a month! I will continue to pay full price for phones as long as I get to keep my unlimited package but the second they touch that, I will switch to Sprint or another competing carrier! I love Verizon's network but I'm not willing to pay an arm and a leg for just 2GB lol. My only problem with buying new devices is that I HAVE to go through Verizon to get the Asurion insurance! I guess I will just sell my current device with all the accessories when the time comes and use that money to help make up the difference.

moin1998

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
There is no way I will switch! It is just physically impossible for to afford the new plans! I love 4G and the speeds it delivers which is why I use over 40gb a month! I will continue to pay full price for phones as long as I get to keep my unlimited package but the second they touch that, I will switch to Sprint or another competing carrier! I love Verizon's network but I'm not willing to pay an arm and a leg for just 2GB lol. My only problem with buying new devices is that I HAVE to go through Verizon to get the Asurion insurance! I guess I will just sell my current device with all the accessories when the time comes and use that money to help make up the difference.

Check out SquareTrade, you don't need to go through Verizon, and you can pay it all upfront

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

What the heck are you doing to reach 40 GB per month? Are you tethering your phone or just watching a whole lot of Netflix on your device?

I'm not necessarily against people using data, but that's an excessive amount to be honest.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
For anyone considering Sprint I would suggest you think twice. I am moving to Verizon to get service that works. With Sprint calls or text message do not go through or get delayed. Also data speed have dropped to under 100 kbs

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
What the heck are you doing to reach 40 GB per month? Are you tethering your phone or just watching a whole lot of Netflix on your device?

I'm not necessarily against people using data, but that's an excessive amount to be honest.

40 GB of data would be the epitome of a data hog. before all of the "changes" I was watching about two hours of netflix a day, and never went over 7 GB in a month. I thought THAT was excessive. 40 GB would be difficult to reach, unless your phone is your only source of media consumption. even then, 40 GB is a lot.

I'm still on unlimited now, but to be honest, I've weened myselft down to about 4GB a month, so when I do change, it won't be much of a shock. I wouldn't be surprized if Verizon did officially do away with unlimited data, eventually. for the people who can afford to buy phones full price, I guess you deserve to keep unlimited data. but I'm not sure Verizon agrees with that mindset, and it makes sense that they would eventually get rid of it, full priced phone or not.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

He's contracted and paid for unlimited. 40GB is not excessive if he's paying for it. It's all within his rights. As long as he's not doing anything illegal then all 40GBs of bandwidth is justified.

I have unlimited and if I want to leave Netflix on 24/7 despite not watching it, it's well within my rights.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
He's contracted and paid for unlimited. 40GB is not excessive if he's paying for it. It's all within his rights. As long as he's not doing anything illegal then all 40GBs of bandwidth is justified.

I have unlimited and if I want to leave Netflix on 24/7 despite not watching it, it's well within my rights.

True, but my main question was whether he tethered. If he did without a hotspot add on, he is using it in ways Verizon says not to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Return the device and pay the $35 restocking fee. You will be out of the contract and you can request to be moved back to unlimited data. Buy the phone outright from there. You have 14 days from the purchase date to do this.

^^This^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
40 GB is not really that much in the scheme of things. I have seen users that blow past me and often reach over 300GB a month on unlimited data! I mainly get my usage from iHeartRadio / Pandora. I use those apps everyday and just about all day! Whether it be in the car, at school, at work, at home I always love to have music playing in the background! Not to mention my WiFi network at home sucks! Bright House networks is a downright rip off so I tend to only use it when necessary and thats mostly just for syncing DoubleTwist.

On the topic of tethering without a tethering plan, I will admit I do it BUT after the latest ruling from the FCC I no longer feel it as being wrong or illegal because the FCC clearly said that Verizon could not block any apps and that it was legal to tether on the 4G LTE spectrum. Even on CNET they said it is now ok to download an app like FoxFi (and use it) and not face issues from Verizon due to this ruling, even if you are still on the old unlimited plans. I still only resort to using apps like FoxFi when absolutely necessary. Like today when my school's wifi network went down and our small class of around 10 people HAD to have the internet to finish a project. I was able to fire up FoxFi and we were online and we were able to finish our projects which were due at the end of today, no excuses!

My usage will really spike in the next few months with hunting season starting. I expect it to spike just like last year with over 90gb or more of usage. But when you consider the circumstances it is justified! I will have online school work due (research projects, video projects, etc), a few collaboration based assignments with other students from my school, watching Netflix 24/7 (There is no cable in the middle of the woods but strangely enough there is 4 bars of 4G LTE) and I will be forced to tether to my computer to keep up with every day things such as managing my websites, social media (Android's Facebook app is a joke), perfecting a few FCPX projects with my group of friends (we get paid for editing videos, etc and trying to do this collaboratively requires a lot of bandwidth! )
Overall, I think the Verizon Sales Rep at my local store said it spot on, "You definetly know how to take advantage of your device and use it to its potential." You should of seen the look on her face when she was trying to sell me into the share everything plan and she did the account analysis to find I average 40Gb a month! Let's just say she never mentioned the share everything plan again.

***Update*****
I just read further into the report published by CNet and it says that if you are under the old unlimited 4G plans you would still have to pay for tethering but honestly, I haven't seen anyone else get in trouble and it would probably be more work than it is worth for them to track users down and prosecute them. Not to mention I'm sure a lawyer could tear up the terms of service without any problems. I've heard of others doing it when put in a bind and they were easily able to find loopholes out of their predicament.

Last edited:

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

True enough, but wait just a few months when all the iPhone 5s hit the LTE network. Verizon currently does not throttle LTE because its still not swamped. But once all the new iPhones hit the network this will change. I would say Spring at the latest on Verzion will start throttling high users. I will bet Verizon will follow AT&T's lead and do all they can to push the people they consider excessive users off their network.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
***Update*****
I just read further into the report published by CNet and it says that if you are under the old unlimited 4G plans you would still have to pay for tethering but honestly, I haven't seen anyone else get in trouble and it would probably be more work than it is worth for them to track users down and prosecute them. Not to mention I'm sure a lawyer could tear up the terms of service without any problems. I've heard of others doing it when put in a bind and they were easily able to find loopholes out of their predicament.

Actually AT&T is very aggressive at going after unlimited users who tether. Once found they send the user a letter stating that they violated their agreement and they are not on a tiered plan that supports tethering. I know several who have received the letter and heard of many others. I have never heard of anyone getting AT&T to restore their unlimited data. AT&T's attitude was pretty clear, they would rather have the people they consider excessive users off their network.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually AT&T is very aggressive at going after unlimited users who tether. Once found they send the user a letter stating that they violated their agreement and they are not on a tiered plan that supports tethering. I know several who have received the letter and heard of many others. I have never heard of anyone getting AT&T to restore their unlimited data. AT&T's attitude was pretty clear, they would rather have the people they consider excessive users off their network.

I'm on Verizon.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I love how people say they are going to drop Verizon. And go to AT&T, who by the way just released the same exact plans? Or Sprint with their terrible network and data speeds? Or Tmobile......

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I love how people say they are going to drop Verizon. And go to AT&T, who by the way just released the same exact plans? Or Sprint with their terrible network and data speeds? Or Tmobile......

Atts plans are better. When I was looking at their shared plans it was going to have me sign up for only a one year contract for a new subsidized device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800