Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So my wife and I are on a shared plan with unlimited data on both lines, with a company discount. My wife's number is the main line, and she has an iPhone 4 and I have a Galaxy Nexus. My line is not eligible for an upgrade for another year, but her line is eligible in 2 weeks. I'm trying to get another phone at a discounted price, but not lose unlimited data ON MY LINE ONLY. She doesn't use much data at all, but I use a ton :)

Is there a way to get a new phone at an upgraded price, and still keep unlimited data on just one line, my line? Could I get a phone at discount on her line, then switch it over to mine and re-activate her iPhone on her line while keeping unlimited on my line? Hope I'm not being to confusing here...lol

Anybody?

Last edited:

jcarmody8

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I lost my unlimited plan when I upgraded my phone and my wife kept hers. The only way I know around it is to by a phone outright and put on existing plan. Sorry, other forums suggest getting phones from different resourses such as ebay, best buy, friends...ect.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
If she is the main line then I think if you upgrade her line it is going to force everybody on the plan to go to the shared data

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I just spoke with Verizon. They said if my wife's line is the one that is going to use the "upgrade" credit, then her line will be the only one to lose the unlimited data. I didnt ask if we can switch the new phone to my line after the activation but I dont see why I wouldnt be able to.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I just spoke with Verizon. They said if my wife's line is the one that is going to use the "upgrade" credit, then her line will be the only one to lose the unlimited data. I didnt ask if we can switch the new phone to my line after the activation but I dont see why I wouldnt be able to.

Yeah, you can switch the phone to your line and keep unlimited. The only way your line loses unlimited is if you use an upgrade on your line. Your wife will have to switch to the 2GB/$30 tiered plan, as Verizon told you. Of course, when her phone wears out, she will have to upgrade at full retail/eBay/Craigslist if she isn't up for another upgrade by then if you want to keep your unlimited data.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, you can switch the phone to your line and keep unlimited. The only way your line loses unlimited is if you use an upgrade on your line. Your wife will have to switch to the 2GB/$30 tiered plan, as Verizon told you. Of course, when her phone wears out, she will have to upgrade at full retail/eBay/Craigslist if she isn't up for another upgrade by then if you want to keep your unlimited data.

Yep totally. I just went though our monthly data usages with a fine tooth comb and she never goes over 1.7GB per month, but I'm not 100% sold on switching her to a 2GB plan yet. Once I do that, she will go over or when she upgrades to a 4G phone (its gonna happen at some point) we will be watching data usage. FAIL!

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just add a new line of service... Then move the new device to a number with the unlimited data and find a feature phone on Craiglist and drop the data package on the new line. It will cost you $10/Month but you get a new device at the lower price.

When an unlimited line has an upgrade transfer the upgrade to the new line and get a new device and swap the equipment.

I have 2 of lines on my account that I do this with so that my other 2 last lines don't lose the unlimited data.

I just picked up the Razr M this way...

Sent from my scorpion_mini

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Just add a new line of service... Then move the new device to a number with the unlimited data and find a feature phone on Craiglist and drop the data package on the new line. It will cost you $10/Month but you get a new device at the lower price.

When an unlimited line has an upgrade transfer the upgrade to the new line and get a new device and swap the equipment.

I have 2 of lines on my account that I do this with so that my other 2 last lines don't lose the unlimited data.

Are there any fees vzw charges for dropping data on the new line right away?

Like can I go into the store, start the new line and get the phone go home and transfer the new phone to my old line drop the data without them charging me a fee?

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You only have to have data on the line if there is a smart phone on it. Once you put a dumb phone on that line the data plan gets dropped.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Are there any fees vzw charges for dropping data on the new line right away?

Like can I go into the store, start the new line and get the phone go home and transfer the new phone to my old line drop the data without them charging me a fee?

Yes...

You can do it at the same time as you add the new line or upgrade while you are in the store and there is no fee associated with owner initiated swap of equipment.

I have 3 smartphones, two lines with feature phones and a tablet on my account. I have used this process to get the DROID X, Thunderbolt, Galaxy Nexus, and now the Razr M.

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

I did this same thing on my mom's family plan so I could get out of my contract and get my own so I could get the nexus.

Added a dumb phone for 10 bucks to my line, brother got my Droid x

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, according to Verizon I have 2 options. Wait 24 hour and the sim becomes "unlocked" and they can transfer the phone over to the unlimited line. The other option is to go to the store and have them give me a new sim for the new phone.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, according to Verizon I have 2 options. Wait 24 hour and the sim becomes "unlocked" and they can transfer the phone over to the unlimited line. The other option is to go to the store and have them give me a new sim for the new phone.

Drop in a store they can do a new sim very easy and quickly

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

What was the outcome of this?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
What was the outcome of this?

I had to deactivate the iPhone for 24 hours before they could switch the sim to my old line. Dumb. I have 3 lines of service now though, 2 smartphones with shared minutes and both have unlimited data and one dumb phone. I got the new phone at the discounted price. I did have to pay a $30 activation fee for the new line.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I had to deactivate the iPhone for 24 hours before they could switch the sim to my old line. Dumb. I have 3 lines of service now though, 2 smartphones with shared minutes and both have unlimited data and one dumb phone. I got the new phone at the discounted price. I did have to pay a $30 activation fee for the new line.

So you did have to add data temporarily to the dumb phone line and then were able to remove it no problem? No extra fees or early termination fees or the like?

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So you did have to add data temporarily to the dumb phone line and then were able to remove it no problem? No extra fees or early termination fees or the like?

I paid for like 4-5 days worth of data, thats it. No other termination fee's.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie