Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I paid for like 4-5 days worth of data, thats it. No other termination fee's.

It seems like you were able to do what I have been trying to figure out for days now. I assume you have a Family Share plan where you share your minutes and text but have independent data plans?

Can you kindly explain how you went about making this work please? I believe we have very similar situations except I have the Family Share plan with one current unlimited data smartphone and one basic phone with no data at all but it does have an upgrade available. Where I think I may run into trouble is adding data service to the basic line once I use the upgrade to get a new phone (Note 2) because I feel like the only way to add data is to switch to the new Share Everything plans.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
It seems like you were able to do what I have been trying to figure out for days now. I assume you have a Family Share plan where you share your minutes and text but have independent data plans?

Can you kindly explain how you went about making this work please? I believe we have very similar situations except I have the Family Share plan with one current unlimited data smartphone and one basic phone with no data at all but it does have an upgrade available. Where I think I may run into trouble is adding data service to the basic line once I use the upgrade to get a new phone (Note 2) because I feel like the only way to add data is to switch to the new Share Everything plans.

I can try to explain:)

My wife and I have a family plan with shared minutes and texts, but we each have our own unlimited data plans. I wanted to get a new phone at the discounted price but I wasnt about to give up unlimited data. I bought a cheap dumb phone on Craigslist. I then went and bought a new iPhone and added a new line to our plan, sharing the minutes and texts with our current plan and adding a data package, I think it was 2GB. I then went home and tried to switch the iPhone to my line and activate the dumb phone. Verizon told me the iPhone had to be de-activated for 24 hours before they could "unlock" the sim and swap the phone to my line.

I waited more than 24 hours since I was going out of town for the weekend, I think it was 3 days. I called back, switched the iPhone to my line, activated the dumb phone on the new line. Now I have the new phone, purchased at the discounted price, kept both unlimited data plans and now I have a 3rd line for $10 a month. I only got charged the $30 activation fee for adding the new line and I paid for 3-4 days of data on that new line.

Hope I explained it good enough!

wolverine2003

May 29, 2010
Visit site

They won't force you to the Share Everything plan. They only will force you to have teired data on any new line or any line that you use the upgrade on. If you do like what I did (and Dream S Ti), you can add a new line of service to your plan which will get tiered data (temporarily) and the move it to your unliminited line. You can then drop the tiered data off of the new line of service after you add it to a basic phone and then you can just throw that phone in the drawer. This will raise your bill a little b/c you're now paying $10 for a phone, but for some (including myself), it is still cheaper than moving to Share Everything.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So now I just need to wait a month for the Note 2! Thanks for all of your help guys! Like a crazy person I've been losing sleep trying to figure this out.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Pinkman.

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just add a new line of service... Then move the new device to a number with the unlimited data and find a feature phone on Craiglist and drop the data package on the new line. It will cost you $10/Month but you get a new device at the lower price.

When an unlimited line has an upgrade transfer the upgrade to the new line and get a new device and swap the equipment.

I have 2 of lines on my account that I do this with so that my other 2 last lines don't lose the unlimited data.

I just picked up the Razr M this way...

Sent from my scorpion_mini

Will transferring my upgrade from my Unlimited line to a tiered line kill my unlimited data? I want to transfer my upgrade to my gf's tiered line to get the droid DNA. When it arrives I'll just put my sim in the phone. I'm just worried it could void out my unlimited....

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Will transferring my upgrade from my Unlimited line to a tiered line kill my unlimited data? I want to transfer my upgrade to my gf's tiered line to get the droid DNA. When it arrives I'll just put my sim in the phone. I'm just worried it could void out my unlimited....

That should not happen

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying out different scenarios and I'm a little confused by this method. Perhaps someone can add some clarification. From what I'm seeing, having a Basic Phone costs $30 for a monthly line access and the its plan would be $10/month. That's $40 extra just to add another line monthly.

I tried this as an individual account as well.

How are you guys bypassing the $30/month charge?

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
30dollars on the share everything plans.

We are talking about the family share plans that verizon no longer advertises but still offers. You need to inquire about it

iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
30dollars on the share everything plans.

We are talking about the family share plans that verizon no longer advertises but still offers. You need to inquire about it

iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple

Thank you, this was a much better explanation. I was able to do the Family_Share plan online which showed the account taking up $9.99 monthly access. I added a 2gb plan which I am assuming is just for the added line which will be removed when I replace that line with a dumb phone. Thank you guys for this neat 'trick'.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I actually just talked to Verizon at lunch today. Whatever line's upgrade you are using will lose the unlimited data. My son wants to get a new phone using my upgrade. Both lines have unlimited right now. But, if he uses my line's upgrade, I lose unlimited. Transferring just allows another line to get a new phone, but the line that is eligible loses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, this was a much better explanation. I was able to do the Family_Share plan online which showed the account taking up $9.99 monthly access. I added a 2gb plan which I am assuming is just for the added line which will be removed when I replace that line with a dumb phone. Thank you guys for this neat 'trick'.

One way you can look at it is you're paying $10 more a month to keep unlimited data. If Verizon would bring back their double your data promotion for this new crappy family share plan, I would switch. It's not worth the headache jumping through all these hoops to keep unlimited. If I could get 20gb for the price of 10gb, I'm in. I need an average of at least 4gb per line. Everyone doesn't use the same amount of data, so that would allow me to go even higher on my line.

nat72sherman

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So there's 3 phones on our plan. One dumb phone and 2 smart. The dumb and one smart's contract is up. The other is eligible for upgrade in dec. So is it safe to transfer the upgrade of the dumb to the smart that has not expired yet and not lose the unlimited data?

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So there's 3 phones on our plan. One dumb phone and 2 smart. The dumb and one smart's contract is up. The other is eligible for upgrade in dec. So is it safe to transfer the upgrade of the dumb to the smart that has not expired yet and not lose the unlimited data?

Yes. But, come December, you will not be able to use that line's upgrade to purchase another subsidized phone without losing unlimited data.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to make sure.

I have main line #1 who is due for an upgrade. Line #4 on our plan is a dumbphone. If i transfer the upgrade to the dumbphone but once I get it activate it on the main line, I wont lose unlimted data?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just to make sure.

I have main line #1 who is due for an upgrade. Line #4 on our plan is a dumbphone. If i transfer the upgrade to the dumbphone but once I get it activate it on the main line, I wont lose unlimted data?

Whatever line is due the upgrade is the line where the data plan will change. Transferring the upgrade just allows you to activate it on another line in one fell swoop. When you transfer the phone, you are re-upping on the line that was eligible for the upgrade. Hence, you can't re-up with unlimited data because it isn't an option.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Whatever line is due the upgrade is the line where the data plan will change. Transferring the upgrade just allows you to activate it on another line in one fell swoop. When you transfer the phone, you are re-upping on the line that was eligible for the upgrade. Hence, you can't re-up with unlimited data because it isn't an option.

Exactly. Any Line with Unlimited data that uses their upgrade directly or indirectly (for the benefit of someone else) will lose Unlimited Data.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Any Line with Unlimited data that uses their upgrade directly or indirectly (for the benefit of someone else) will lose Unlimited Data.

That is NOT true at all. I don't know where you're getting your info. If you have 2 lines on the account and one is unlimited with the available upgrade you can transfer it to another line on the same account. Transferring the upgrade renews your CURRENT contract on that line (unlimited) for 2 years however when you use the upgrade on the other line it will put that line to a new plan. After all that's done you simply activate the new phone on your unlimited line.

This is exactly what I did to get the S3. Locked in another 2 year agreement with unlimited data on my line however the other line I used is now on a 2 gig plan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That is NOT true at all. I don't know where you're getting your info. If you have 2 lines on the account and one is unlimited with the available upgrade you can transfer it to another line on the same account. Transferring the upgrade renews your CURRENT contract on that line (unlimited) for 2 years however when you use the upgrade on the other line it will put that line to a new plan. After all that's done you simply activate the new phone on your unlimited line.

Check your contract. If you transferred an upgrade from a line that has Unlimited Data, it is that line that has the Contract Extended and that line that loses Unlimited Data. If you have Unlimited Data on any line and extend the contract by accepting the subsidy, you lose Unlimited Data on that line.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Check your contract. If you transferred an upgrade from a line that has Unlimited Data, it is that line that has the Contract Extended and that line that loses Unlimited Data. If you have Unlimited Data on any line and extend the contract by accepting the subsidy, you lose Unlimited Data on that line.

Buddy, I checked this daily the first few days of doing it. No I never lost unlimited on my line. Before I did this I even called Verizon twice to confirm I wouldn't loose unlimited data. Want a screen shot?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance