Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying that you took an Upgrade from a line that had Unlimited Data and transferred that Upgrade to another line but still have Unlimited Data on the that you transferred the Ugrade from?

So you let Line B use the Upgrade from Line A and A has their contract extended but still has Unlimited Data?

How many of your lines had Unlimited Data when you started? If both had unlimited Data and you transferred the Upgrade from one to use on your line, the 1st line should have their contract extended and be the one giving up Unlimited Data.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying that you took an Upgrade from a line that had Unlimited Data and transferred that Upgrade to another line but still have Unlimited Data on the that you transferred the Ugrade from?

So you let Line B use the Upgrade from Line A and A has their contract extended but still has Unlimited Data?

How many of your lines had Unlimited Data when you started? If both had unlimited Data and you transferred the Upgrade from one to use on your line, the 1st line should have their contract extended and be the one giving up Unlimited Data.

Yes. We have 4 lines, 3 with unlimited and a dummy line before this. To do what I wanted only took two. My line had the upgrade and I moved the upgrade to another line.

Currently our contract now has 2 unlimited data lines, mine being one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. So was it your line that had their contract extended, or the other line?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
My line has the contract under the old terms which includes unlimited data. The line that I transferred the upgrade to is now on a 2 gig plan and is back to its old upgrade date.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My line has the contract under the old terms which includes unlimited data. The line that I transferred the upgrade to is now on a 2 gig plan and is back to its old upgrade date.

It's great that you got it to work for you. I was told by two different people previously that whatever line is eligible for the Upgrade is the one that loses the Unlimited Data.

My line is eligible for an upgrade and I was told if I transfer that upgrade to my 2nd line that, the contract on my line would be extended and I would lose unlimited data. However, in your situation, I should be able to transfer the upgrade to the 2nd line, extend the contract on my line for 2 years, and it would be the 2nd line that would need to choose a new data plan but they would keep their existing upgrade date.

That definitely changes things. I thought that whatever line had their contract extended would lose the unlimited data, but you said that your second line still has the same upgrade date they had before.

My apologies for doubting you. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
No problem. Believe me I had my doubts as well. Unlimited is an absolute necessity in my situation. You should also call Verizon, get them to answer too. Write down who you talked to and when so if something happens and you loose the unlimited somehow you can say we'll xxx said I wouldn't loose it.

Pinkman.

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the process of doing the "upgrade transfer method". I went on the vzw website transferred my upgrade off my unlimited line to one of my tiered data plan lines. Online it walks you through picking a device and min/data plan for the line i transferred the upgrade to (which stayed the same with the tiered data). I paid and got the email with my order info. Now heres the part that worries me... In the email it says "order received" but it shows my unlimited line not the line that I transferred the upgrade to. It also lists all the plan features on the email as well, nowhere in the email does it say anything about upgrade transferred to my other line. I have been thinking about canceling my order but I feel like if I don't go through with it I'll never know if it works.... When I get the phone I'm just popping in my sim card in it and using it on my line, which is separate from the 2 lines that I used the "upgrade transfer method" with. Hope this makes sense... and if anyone has any input or insight into this method let me know!! My note2 ships soon!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Believe me I had my doubts as well. Unlimited is an absolute necessity in my situation. You should also call Verizon, get them to answer too. Write down who you talked to and when so if something happens and you loose the unlimited somehow you can say we'll xxx said I wouldn't loose it.

When exactly did you do your upgrade? If I recall correctly, people were still managing to upgrade this past summer without losing their unlimited data. I don't think it's possible anymore. You must have had some glitch that allowed you to upgrade and not lose unlimited.
Basically, if you activate a phone on the unlimited line by any other means than using the upgrade for that line, you can keep unlimited. Once you use that line's upgrade, no matter where this phone goes (another line, on eBay, etc.), you lose unlimted on that upgrade line. If you are using a "dummy" line, you are basically on that upgrade schedule for one of your unlimited lines.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
When exactly did you do your upgrade? If I recall correctly, people were still managing to upgrade this past summer without losing their unlimited data. I don't think it's possible anymore. You must have had some glitch that allowed you to upgrade and not lose unlimited.
Basically, if you activate a phone on the unlimited line by any other means than using the upgrade for that line, you can keep unlimited. Once you use that line's upgrade, no matter where this phone goes (another line, on eBay, etc.), you lose unlimted on that upgrade line. If you are using a "dummy" line, you are basically on that upgrade schedule for one of your unlimited lines.

As I stated a few posts back, no I did not hit a glitch or upgrade before the plan changes. I did the upgrade switch back in early October. And if you read my post you will see you are incorrect. When you use the upgrade you loose unlimited data on that line. Transferring upgrades, what Verizon calls alternate upgrades, will not cause your specific line to loose unlimited data but the line you transfer it to will loose unlimited data.

Again if you have any doubts about what I said call Verizon. Its highly possible that in the near future the will put a stop to this.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2