Options for adding a line to an unlimited data plan

dmchenry35

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
You see I'm old, I'm so old that I have a verizon unlimited data plan, and I have no intentions of giving it up... ever. If/When they take it from me, Ill find another carrier out of spite.

However I dont think that time is here yet, but it might be. You see I need to add my gf to my plan. I dont want to lose this coveted data plan even though "unlimited is just a word" with no actual meaning.

What are my options for adding her line to my plan. She'll more than likely want a smart phone, like a Razr M (those any good? she has small girl hands after all). And I dont want to lose my unlimited data because I use 2GB consistantly on 3g, and 4g speeds should be here soon.

Thanks!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You see I'm old, I'm so old that I have a verizon unlimited data plan, and I have no intentions of giving it up... ever. If/When they take it from me, Ill find another carrier out of spite.

However I dont think that time is here yet, but it might be. You see I need to add my gf to my plan. I dont want to lose this coveted data plan even though "unlimited is just a word" with no actual meaning.

What are my options for adding her line to my plan. She'll more than likely want a smart phone, like a Razr M (those any good? she has small girl hands after all). And I dont want to lose my unlimited data because I use 2GB consistantly on 3g, and 4g speeds should be here soon.

Thanks!

I don't see a problem since you add a data plan per line. You're still eligible for Family Plans as far as I know but its not advertised. She would be on a $30 per month 2GB plan and you would be on a $30 per month unlimited plan. You would only need to change your plan itself from a single line to a family line. Data packages are add in features and not plan related.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

dmchenry35

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Tried that and they wouldn't let me do it. Talked to a rep via online chat and also in store.

:-\ owell i suppose. My contract is up in about 8 months anyway, so I'll just wait it out and find another carrier.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just add a new line of service... Then move the new device to a number with the unlimited data and find a feature phone on Craiglist and drop the data package on the new line. It will cost you $10/Month but you get a new device at the lower price.

When an unlimited line has an upgrade transfer the upgrade to the new line and get a new device and swap the equipment.

I have 2 of lines on my account that I do this with so that my other 2 last lines don't lose the unlimited data.

I just picked up the Razr M this way...

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Tried that and they wouldn't let me do it. Talked to a rep via online chat and also in store.

:-\ owell i suppose. My contract is up in about 8 months anyway, so I'll just wait it out and find another carrier.

Strange, that's not what I've been told over the phone. If you're with Verizon already you should be able to switch. Obviously only one line should have unlimited data but it should be possible. Realistically, Verizon would lose customers if the only option for families available was a Share Plan. $50 for 1 GB of data is nothing shy of an insult.

I'm also assuming she is eligible for an upgrade right?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Strange, that's not what I've been told over the phone. If you're with Verizon already you should be able to switch. Obviously only one line should have unlimited data but it should be possible. Realistically, Verizon would lose customers if the only option for families available was a Share Plan. $50 for 1 GB of data is nothing shy of an insult.

I'm also assuming she is eligible for an upgrade right?

Even if there was only one line? Technically, he's not already on an existing family plan so adding a line might not be the same.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Even if there was only one line? Technically, he's not already on an existing family plan so adding a line might not be the same.

Yes, I was considering adding my dad to my line and switching from a single to a family plan. They told me I would go through the Power of Attorney process and than I'd be able to bring him over. Also told me I'm eligible to switch to a family plan of wanted and keep my unlimited data. I never did it, but I verified several times with several representatives.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user