Lied to about unlimited data

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to document my experience here so far with getting a new phone on one of our family lines. The saga is not over yet but here's the sequence of events so far.

My family has 4 smartphones on our account. Back when it was first announced that Verizon was going with capped data plans I made sure to make each account an unlimited data account as I'd heard that unlimited data would be held on your account if you had it prior to the change date. That worked out to be true.

My son's line was a Blackberry Curve 3G. When it crapped out, he and my wife went to the loca store to get him a new phone. This was on Sept 10. Since I had heard at that point that Verizon was taking phone upgrades and changing them to limited data accounts at that time, I instructed my wife to speicifically ask about this and to call me if they said we had to change. When they spcifically asked the salesperson about this, she assured them that "oh, you have the good grandfathered unlimited data and no, of course that will not be changed". When they came home with his new phone I was suprised but happy. I had no reason to believe that they had been lied to.

This morning I got a text and an email from Verizon that one of our liens (my son's line) was at the halfway point of his monthly data allowance. This was surprising since how do you hot halfway on unlimited? When I launched My Verizon I saw that his line indeed was set to a 2Gb cap. When I got to work and logged into verizonwireless.com it said that I had recently changed my plan. So I called.

The person I spoke to said that they HAD to change it to a 2Gb plan per their policy, that the salesperson couldn;t change that, and in fact as she sold us the phone at the subsidized price she should have gotten a popup on her screen indicating that the customer was about to lose unlimited data on that line. So they were lied to.

The rep on the phone said that since it was done at a store I should call that store and speak with the manager, that managers had the authority to re-instate the unlimited data. He also apologized but of course that does me no good. I have yet to call because that store is not open yet.

I will post updates to this story. It's not so much that she failed to mention it...that could be an honest mistake (even though at that time I had not heard of the "pay full price to keep unlimited date" policy yet...I'd heard of it since Sept 10 of course...I check in here at AC fequently. It's that she was asked about it and flat-out lied to my wife and son.

I'm not hopeful because if the manager is who I think she is she's quite the sourpuss. We'll see how it gies but I think Verizon just found a way to screw me some :mad:more.:mad::mad:

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I think you are within the return period return it and pay the restock fee and buy one of craigslist or ebay. Sucks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes you have to be extremely careful. If I were you I would ask the manager to add back the unlimited as you were told you could keep it. See if you can get a name of the employee that sold your wife the new phone.

Realize that if you make changes to your account or plan I would be 100 percent sure you know what's going on. When I wanted to transfer my upgrade to another line then upgrade that line but activate the phone on my line, the employees all looked super confused.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
The store won't remedy anything. They only care about their own metrics. Get somebody over the phone, and have them look into it with a supervisor, meaning the stuff about your account. And also request to submit a complaint against the store manager. Their regional people will look into it. Don't hesitate. Verizon stores have become like Starbucks. The managers absolutely will not do anything, and the rest are sales drones. managers are transferred to different store locations ALL the time. So this gives them less reason to do anything.

Definitely file a complaint, and try to get the store manager's name ahead of time. They will ask for it.

sent from my DInc4g using AC forums

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm at the district manager level now. Waiting for a call back. Store manager was no help...the salesperson says she told them and says she even circled it on the receipt. Manager is taking her word and not my wife's The receipt is unmarked but does say 2gb plan on it.
I was offered 5gb at the 2gb price but for 2 months only. All that would do is make him get used to having a 5gb limit. Much like the pusher offers the first dose of heroin for free. And I'd probably have to remember to call and change it or it would probably automatically stay at 5Gb and start charging $50 rather than change from 5gb to 2Gb at the end of the 2 month time period. I passed. We'll take this higher and see where we end up. The lady I talked to last before the district manager did say it was wrong to say we'd get unlimited and then not deliver it. I said she was the first person at Verizon that seemed to hold that view. She laughed but didn't change her offer. Apparently feeling that something wrong was done is not the same as feeling that it should be made right.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I really hope you get what you were promised, but I wouldn't be too optimistic. the Verizon plan is to get as many people off of unlimited data as possible, so your battle is definately an uphill one. sounds like you're making some progress, so stay the course. I'm 10 months and counting until I upgrade both my lines. bye bye unlimited data....

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm at the district manager level now. Waiting for a call back..............

I'm also waiting for DM level support at this point, regarding a retail corporate store manager. It's some unwritten policy about returns/exchanges from DM down to local area specific stores. Something about they're getting too many returns basically, so they're not meeting certain numbers. Bunch of BS, and somehow now the stores think they can override corporate policy available to the mass consumer market.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
No good! I would be unhappy too! Then again I personally only use about 1gig or less a month with my metered plan on ATT! :p

I hope they can get it back for you. But I have a gut feeling that the chances of that happening are pretty grim...

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
You should have returned the phone and had them revert you back before the upgrade.. Hope your not past your 14 days (Which is what they are probably trying to do)...

Sent from my iPhone 5

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, his previous phone had completely died...so going back is not an option. We were just fortunate that it waited until he had an "upgrade" coming at the time it did, I'm currently waiting for a return call from a district manager. It's over 14 days anyway. I'm pretty sure I'm getting strung along with bull but we'll keep playing until I'm out of options.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Corporate America sucks. they care NOTHING about good customer service, they just want our money. I sent an email to Verizon over a month ago, basically stating how unhappy I am with my phone. have I gotten any kind of response, even that stupid "we have received your email" crap? NO. unfortunately, all the other carriers are pretty much the same. Once they have you under contract, they pretty much have you where they want you. Working for two of the LARGEST corporations in the country (walmart/UPS), I get to see firsthand how the big wheel turns. it's not pretty. I would call whatever number you last called and ask about your callback from a district manager. if you don't they have NO incentive to call you on their own. good luck to you.

Zero Hunter

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Since this is the fault of the store and not necessarily the carrier, I think you are SOL about getting the unlimited on the new phone.

That being said, unless they really pull some strings for you, your most likely option is to return the phone. If they try to slap you with a restocking fee, dispute it with your credit card company.

metoo101

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon lied to me as well! I upgraded to 4 smart phones because I was told I'd get unlimited data due to the company I work for. I just found out that I don't have unlimited data but a 2gb package for each phone. Tomorrow is the 14th day so I must quickly decide to return everything and go back to my old basic Verizon phones or take an offer of moving to a 4 gb shared data plan. I've been a Verizon customer for years - I can't believe I've been baited and switched. I would not have upgraded if it weren't for the lie they told me. I'm totally shocked and saddened that they did this to me.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon lied to me as well! I upgraded to 4 smart phones because I was told I'd get unlimited data due to the company I work for. I just found out that I don't have unlimited data but a 2gb package for each phone. Tomorrow is the 14th day so I must quickly decide to return everything and go back to my old basic Verizon phones or take an offer of moving to a 4 gb shared data plan. I've been a Verizon customer for years - I can't believe I've been baited and switched. I would not have upgraded if it weren't for the lie they told me. I'm totally shocked and saddened that they did this to me.

You should have confirmed through your company you would keep unlimited, as in no plan changes.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Well my 14 days is long gone...it was mostly gone when I found out I only had 2g on that line. Like I said in the first post I only found out when I got a text saying that lline was at the halfway point....to which I thought...how do you go halfway to infinity?
In any case, I need to call again today to see what the District mgr's response is...I left him a message two days ago and haven't heard back yet. I am not hopeful but need to push anyway. I wonder if the IL attorney general would be interested or the public service commision. This does seem like a deceptive practice designed to encourage upgrades that wouldn't happen otherwise. I also feel that there would be no better treatment with any other carrier. They are all parasites. My cellular bill for the entire family is higher than my electric and gas bills combined. And I get a corporate discount.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Well my 14 days is long gone...it was mostly gone when I found out I only had 2g on that line. Like I said in the first post I only found out when I got a text saying that lline was at the halfway point....to which I thought...how do you go halfway to infinity?
In any case, I need to call again today to see what the District mgr's response is...I left him a message two days ago and haven't heard back yet. I am not hopeful but need to push anyway. I wonder if the IL attorney general would be interested or the public service commision. This does seem like a deceptive practice designed to encourage upgrades that wouldn't happen otherwise. I also feel that there would be no better treatment with any other carrier. They are all parasites. My cellular bill for the entire family is higher than my electric and gas bills combined. And I get a corporate discount.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but in an issue like this as soon as you got the new phone you should have checked both your account and your available data. When I did the upgrade swap and got my S3 even to this day I monitor my data closely to make sure it doesn't change.

metoo101

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I went to the Verizon store expecting the worse. I explained the situation to the manager and within 5 minutes I had unlimited data on all four phones - no hassles.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca