Does unlimited data end without subsidy?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So yea, my question is that... Will my unlimited data end at the end of my two year cycle if i don't get a subsidized device upgrade? If it does not, then will I end up in a month to month contract or will I have to sign again for at least a year?

I don't want to pay full price for a phone, only to get screwed in January when my contract is up.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
As of right now for Verizon, as long as you change nothing on your contact, it will stay the same. At some point they will end all unlimited data by just forcing you to change since all contracts Will be up eventually that have unlimited. Until then just use up as much as you can. (I do) but contract end dates do not effect your service.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The current understanding is that you won't lose unlimited data unless you sign a new contract. You should not lose it at the end of your current contract under the current rules. However, like anything else, this is subject to change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So we aren't 100% safe if we spend $600 or $700 on an unsubsidized device? Hmmmm... They need to figure this out cuz i can see that happening (ending unlimited data) exactly at the same time some folks buy off contract

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So we aren't 100% safe if we spend $600 or $700 on an unsubsidized device? Hmmmm... They need to figure this out cuz i can see that happening (ending unlimited data) exactly at the same time some folks buy off contract

You'll be out of contract and month to month on the existing terms.

Technically, they can stop your service if you don't agree to new terms with them. At the end of the contract, your commitment to them is up, but so is there's to you.

I don't see them going that route anytime soon though.

Just don't expect unlimited data to last forever.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

You're right, there's no guarantee, but I'd be surprised if the end of unlimited comes soon. The problem from VZW's perspective is that people who buy unsubsidized phones are off-contract and can jump ship at any time, and on top of that, off-contract subscribers are very profitable to Verizon as they are paying for a subsidy that is going unused. With two providers (Sprint and T-Mobile) offering unlimited data plans, I don't think Verizon is going to anger their off-contract customers any time soon.

My guess is that if Verizon moves to eliminate all unlimited data plans, it won't be for quite awhile...at least not until all unlimited data users who are under contract now come off contract so they can eliminate all the unlimited plans at once. That being said, we've had some warning when Verizon stopped offering unlimited plans as well as when Verizon stopped allowing upgrades to keep unlimited, so I'd imagine when and if Verizon eliminates the unlimited plans completely, there will be enough time to decide whether to jump ship or not before losing unlimited.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So yea, my question is that... Will my unlimited data end at the end of my two year cycle if i don't get a subsidized device upgrade? If it does not, then will I end up in a month to month contract or will I have to sign again for at least a year?

I don't want to pay full price for a phone, only to get screwed in January when my contract is up.

If you buy your own phone (or keep your old one) you will stay on Unlimited and revert to a month-to-month (no contract commitment) plan at the end of your current contract. That "no contract commitment" applies to both sides of the table - you may discontinue service at any time with no termination fee, and Verizon may change the terms of service of their side of the deal (including the removal of an "Unlimited" data plan if they so choose) at any time.

At some point, especially if you are a very heavy data user, Verizon may decide that you are an unprofitable (or "less profitable than your neighbors") customer. They have the option of dropping you or forcing you to a tiered plan each time you pay your bill. But unless you are a truly heavy data user, I just don't see that happening.

I can see them maybe taking their top ten percent of heavy users and knocking them off, but if you are keeping unlimited and haven't accepted a subsidy and you are still only using less than 1GB a month and merely want "unlimited" for its name's sake, you are actually saving Big Red some serious money - you're the kind of customer they want.

But if you're out of contract and keeping unlimited because your current usage includes more than a terabyte of usage a month, it's very likely you'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. Next in line will be the 900-Megabyte-and-up folks, then they'll start dwindling that down until the only people on "unlimited" are the ones who would actually be better-served by going to tiered data.

I'm not saying it's right - but once you go month-to-month Verizon is no more beholden to you than you are to them.

Ya rolls the dice, ya takes yer chances.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yea, it looks like it. I use about 2.2 to 2.5gb of data a month. The problem is that it will vary month to month. And i enjoy the freedom of listening to pandora a lot one month, and then less the next month. I can't imagine having to think about whether i should use my internet or not.... That to me sounds like a very strange concept... Yet, my minutes are finally unlimited as are my texts. Its like we go one step forward and 2 steps back