Verizon LTE handset

sam008

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Anybody here postponed their decision to buy a new phone till the first Verizon LTE handset comes out sometime in Nov/Dec? I'm pretty excited about that

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Are you in one of the markets slated to launch with 4g? If so, waiting might be worth it. If not, a 3g phone now should last you until 4g comes.

A few things to consider:
1: If you sign a 1 year contract for the droid x, you can upgrade as early May 15th of next year (meaning that not only will more places have 4g, but there will be a slew of devices)
2: Verizon's gone on record saying that they're looking at tiered pricing for 4g, and they seemed to hint at a total rework of plans (you being able to buy data in bulk and use it on multiple devices) While this could be a boon if you are in 4g areas off the bat, it could mean paying more initially until 4g hits your area.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ask yourself... what do you really need the speed for? Streaming video over 3G works just fine so at least to me LTE seems somewhat unnecessary until there are services that can use the extra speed.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i am also of the opinion that 4g wont be too important to me. i always connect my phone to wi-fi when i am home, and as kyleg said, my 3g speed is just fine by me when i am out and about. faster is always better, but i can wait until next year (when i use my wife's upgrade to get the next big thing after the droid x, lol)

sam008

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
all great suggestions. Menno - does verizon have a special offer to allow upgrade by may 15th? That's only about 10 months and not the full year they typically have you waiting for

Do you think this would apply to the samsung galaxy (fascinate) too?

thanks

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you sign a 1 year contract, you can upgrade after 10 months.

This means paying $70 more for the phone up front, but $70 is a small price to pay for 1 less year of contracts.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Nov or Dec of 2010? Really? I thought Verizon said their LTE network wouldn't be coming online until sometime in 2011? Wouldn't you wait until the network was up and running and beta tests done to release phones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol