[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

golf1585

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Transfer your upgrade to the basic line and order the iPhone from Verizon. When it arrives at home, just take your old SIM card and put it in the new phone before turning it on. This will activate the phone directly onto your unlimited line.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks, Dusoccer. I know folks like hearing this works, so here is confirmation that this process worked like a charm.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Can you elaborate on the second suggestion? I'm a little nervous cutting the SIM card. What steps must I take to upgrade on a different line and keep UDP? TIA

Let's start with Line 1. Say you want to upgrade to the S6 Edge, you would do the following:

1.) Use the upgrade on Line 2 and order the S6 Edge through Best Buy or Verizon. Have the phone shipped to home.
2.) When the phone arrives, do not turn it on or try to charge it.
3.) Log into Verizon online
4.) Select "activate or switch device"
5.) Choose Line 1
6.) Select phone that has never been on the account before
7.) Enter the IMEI and SIM numbers of the S6 edge (select pre-existing SIM if necessary).
8.) Follow the rest of the directions to activate the S6 edge on Line 1.

Basically, these 8 steps allow you to activate the S6 edge on a different line than where the upgrade came from. If you didn't want to mess with Line 2's upgrade, you could also transfer Line 1's upgrade to a basic line in step 1. Steps 2-8 are still the same.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

My scenario:

Line 1 - Note4 UDP - Upgrade Available
Line 2 - Note4 UDP - Upgrade Available
Line 3 - Dumbphone - No Upgrade
Line 4 - Dumbphone - Early Upgrade Available (non-Edge) only @ Verizon

Wife wants an iPhone 6 Plus on Line 1, best action to take? My first thought would be to use the Early upgrade from Line 4, but dont want to get screwed when it arrives with a 2 year Data plan attached to it. I have walked all the way through Line 4's upgrade, it does allow for a new 2 Year contract at contract pricing, so its definitely not only Edge pricing.

You can bypass the 2 year data plan on Line 4 by doing the following:

1.) Use the upgrade on Line 4 and order the iPhone 6+ through Verizon. Have the phone shipped to home.
5.) Choose your wife's line
7.) Enter the IMEI and SIM numbers of the iPhone 6+ (select pre-existing SIM if necessary).
8.) Follow the rest of the directions to activate the iPhone 6+ on your wife's line

pennypyncher

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Line 1 udp with upgrade available mo-mo
Line 2 tdp upgrade 2-2017
used line two upgrade to get new phone for line one in Feb now I need to replace phone on line two. How do I transfer upgrade from line 1 to line 2 without tampering with my udp. I do not see the option on Verizon web site to select transfer. The FAQs say you can do this but no instructions. Can anyone help?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Line 1 udp with upgrade available mo-mo
Line 2 tdp upgrade 2-2017
used line two upgrade to get new phone for line one in Feb now I need to replace phone on line two. How do I transfer upgrade from line 1 to line 2 without tampering with my udp. I do not see the option on Verizon web site to select transfer. The FAQs say you can do this but no instructions. Can anyone help?

Log in and go to the Upgrade Device page. From there you should be able to click "transfer upgrade" and be able to choose Line 2.

emorin13

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Let's start with Line 1. Say you want to upgrade to the S6 Edge, you would do the following:

1.) Use the upgrade on Line 2 and order the S6 Edge through Best Buy or Verizon. Have the phone shipped to home.
5.) Choose Line 1
7.) Enter the IMEI and SIM numbers of the S6 edge (select pre-existing SIM if necessary).
8.) Follow the rest of the directions to activate the S6 edge on Line 1.

Basically, these 8 steps allow you to activate the S6 edge on a different line than where the upgrade came from. If you didn't want to mess with Line 2's upgrade, you could also transfer Line 1's upgrade to a basic line in step 1. Steps 2-8 are still the same.

First of all thanks dusoccer10!

1. If I go the Best Buy route, is there a need to transfer upgrades? Or, only cutting SIM card.
2. Has Best Buy always had the warning saying "There's a change from Verizon Wireless for unlimited data plans. Verizon Wireless has ended this plan option, so when you upgrade you'll be switched to their most common 2GB plan by default."?

Last edited:

James Vuong

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

This is an awesome thread but I do have a scenario question.
I want to upgrade my 5S to a 6+ and my dad wants to take my old 5S but of course I still want to keep my UDP.
L1 - Basic Phone
L2 - Dad's Basic phone
L3 - iPhone 5S

I already purchased the iphone because of the dadsngrads sale under L1 and I'm wondering if it was possible to swap the sims on the two iphones I currently have and then activate the old 5s on my dad's line to keep my UDP while using the new 6plus.

Last edited:

pennypyncher

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

thanks dusoccer10
While waiting for a response to this question we called Verizon to ask how to do this and were told it could not be done so asked for a supervisor and was told the same thing then got a manager and was told we could transfer the upgrade but the system is now programmed that when we do this we loose udp on line one. Have you heard of this happening?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

First of all thanks dusoccer10!

1. If I go the Best Buy route, is there a need to transfer upgrades? Or, only cutting SIM card.
2. Has Best Buy always had the warning saying "There's a change from Verizon Wireless for unlimited data plans. Verizon Wireless has ended this plan option, so when you upgrade you'll be switched to their most common 2GB plan by default."?

1.) The only time you need to cut the existing SIM is if you use the upgrade that is on Line 1 (assuming that is the line you want to upgrade). In the Best Buy method, you upgrade Line 1 and have the phone shipped to home (there would be no transferring of the upgrade). When the new phone arrives, you remove the SIM that comes with it and insert your freshly cut SIM.
2.) Yes, that warning is common. The good news is that it does not go into effect unless you activate the new SIM on the line that the upgrade comes from. In the Best Buy method, you bypass this by using your old SIM. In the steps I outlined, you bypass the activation because you re-code the new SIM for a different line's unlimited plan.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

thanks dusoccer10
While waiting for a response to this question we called Verizon to ask how to do this and were told it could not be done so asked for a supervisor and was told the same thing then got a manager and was told we could transfer the upgrade but the system is now programmed that when we do this we loose udp on line one. Have you heard of this happening?

You got fed the "script". This is why people shouldn't talk to reps unless under very specific circumstances. Transferring the upgrade to the tiered line will not affect your unlimited data.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

This is an awesome thread but I do have a scenario question.
I want to upgrade my 5S to a 6+ and my dad wants to take my old 5S but of course I still want to keep my UDP.
L1 - Basic Phone
L2 - Dad's Basic phone
L3 - iPhone 5S

I already purchased the iphone because of the dadsngrads sale under L1 and I'm wondering if it was possible to swap the sims on the two iphones I currently have and then activate the old 5s on my dad's line to keep my UDP while using the new 6plus.

All you need to do is:

1.) Activate the 6+ on your dad's line to turn it to a tiered line
2.) Wait an hour and then power off both the 6+ and the 5s
3.) Swap SIMs between the two devices
4.) Power on both devices

This will put the 6+ on the unlimited line and the 5s on your dad's tiered line.

Matthew H1

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

If I decide to order an unlocked phone off eBay how will I activate it onto my UDP line? I might not go the upgrade route after all.

Matthew H1

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

Despite my best efforts to figure this out I am still confused.

I'm going to upgrade my Droid Mini to Moto X. I have UDP but every other line does not.

In order to keep unlimited data I:

Do the buddy upgrade on my mom's line
Activate the phone on her line for 1 hour.
Re activate her old phone.
Activate the Moto X on my line (with which SIM card)?

For some reason when I try to do the buddy upgrade on my Verizon it says I need to change the plan.

We have a business account.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

If I decide to order an unlocked phone off eBay how will I activate it onto my UDP line? I might not go the upgrade route after all.

If you buy a used Verizon phone, you would:

1.) Use your old SIM if it is the same size necessary for the new phone
2.) Take the used phone to Verizon and have them activate it

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

Ok I have 2 questions...

1. I have 2 UDP lines and 3 basic lines. 1 UDP has an upgrade. I have used the BB method to upgrade both UDP lines in the past few months. Now, I am wanting to purchase a new Droid for one of the basic lines. Am I safe to purchase using the BB method and just activating on the basic line I want to use it on (aka will this affect my UDP at all?).

2. Since upgrading my UDP lines (both to iphone6), the visual voice mail does not work. It doesn't even appear to be on the device any more. From my readings, I need to call VZW and have their tier 2 fix it. Am I safe to do this since I used the BB method to upgrade?

jsalimao

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

This is a great thread and I apologize for posting such a similar request but I am a little confused on when you should use the old sim and cut the new one or use the new one.

Line 1 - HTC One - UDP - no upgrade
Line 2 - IPhone 5s - UDP - no upgrade
Line 3 - Dumbphone - Basic (no data) - upgrade available

I would like to upgrade the HTC One on Line 1 with the S6. So I believe I order the S6 on Line 3 and select 2 GB, through Verizon wireless online. When the phone comes in do I use the SIM card that came with the S6 and activate on Line 1. This is where I am confused? Thanks for your help.

supergreg321

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site

Need some help here please.
Line 1 (Mine) Galaxy S3 Unlimited Data Plan month to month
Line 2 (Wife) Galaxy S4 Tiered but I just upgraded at a Verizon Store to a Note 4

The Note 4 has not been turned on at all yet and my wife's S4 is still active and working fine. I used her upgrade and told them it was going to be a gift and took advantage of the 7 day window before our official upgrade date on Line 2 (July2)
According to the in store rep, the Note 4 is ready to go, all we need to do is turn on the device and it will activate automatically on Line 2.

My wife is perfectly fine with her S4 and I want the Note 4 on my Unlimited Plan Line 1.
How can I make this happen?

:cool:

supergreg321

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site

Need some help here please.
Line 1 (Mine) Galaxy S3 Unlimited Data Plan month to month
Line 2 (Wife) Galaxy S4 Tiered but I just upgraded at a Verizon Store to a Note 4

The Note 4 has not been turned on at all yet and my wife's S4 is still active and working fine. I used her upgrade and told them it was going to be a gift and took advantage of the 7 day window before our official upgrade date on Line 2 (July2)
According to the in store rep, the Note 4 is ready to go, all we need to do is turn on the device and it will activate automatically on Line 2.

My wife is perfectly fine with her S4 and I want the Note 4 on my Unlimited Plan Line 1.
How can I make this happen?
:cool:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante