[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I have 5 lines on my account with 1 smartphone. The other 4 are basic phones. My daughter wants an iphone 6 to replace her basic one. What are my options with data on adding an iphone to my account? I still have unlimited data on my phone and don't want to lose it.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I know that this is beating a dead horse here, but I want to double check and make sure that I understand.

Line 1 - dumb phone, upgrade available
Line 2 - UDP, Note 3, upgrade available
Line 3 - TDP, Note 3, no upgrade

Obviously, keeping data on line 2. If I go the Best Buy method, I do not need to transfer anything around as Line 2 has an available upgrade, correct? I would just need to remove / destroy the pre-installed SIM from the new phone, and insert my old SIM before activation.

The reason that I want to double check is because I noticed that Best Buy has a big ol' flag on the cell phone screen now that says something like "Verizon no longer supports unlimited data plans. If you're currently an unlimited subscriber, you'll be switched to a 2gb plan upon activation." Which, I'm assuming that since I'm not "activating" anything, that warning becomes irrelevant.

However, if I were to order the phone through Verizon, then I would need to move Line 2's upgrade to Line 3, order the new phone for Line 3, activate the new phone on Line 3, put my SIM into the new phone, and put Line 3's SIM back in Line 3's old phone. ??

Best Buy's warning has always been there. You are correct in ignoring it if using your old SIM for activation.

Also, you have the methods down correctly too. In fact, your steps for Verizon can also be done through Best Buy as well. They are the only two stores that allow upgrade transfers online. I personally recommend the transferring of upgrades since it removes the pending activation on the account, but the choice is yours.

You also could use the upgrade on the basic line too if you really wanted to know all of your options. You would "upgrade" the basic line, but use your existing SIM on Line 2 for activation. It's basically a blend of the two methods you listed.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I have 5 lines on my account with 1 smartphone. The other 4 are basic phones. My daughter wants an iphone 6 to replace her basic one. What are my options with data on adding an iphone to my account? I still have unlimited data on my phone and don't want to lose it.

Just upgrade one of the basic lines and give her a tiered data plan. It won't affect your unlimited data unless you sign up for a More Everything plan.

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Just upgrade one of the basic lines and give her a tiered data plan. It won't affect your unlimited data unless you sign up for a More Everything plan.

Everytime I talk to them either in store, on chat or on the phone, they just want to change my Plan and take my data away. What is the data plan I can get?

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

On a chat now with Verizon and she said that I could share my data... She has no clue what she's talking about. I wish I could do that.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

On a chat now with Verizon and she said that I could share my data... She has no clue what she's talking about. I wish I could do that.

Try upgrading online from either Best Buy or Verizon. You should be able to do it without talking to reps.

You could also try a VAR as they tend to just care about the sale and less about the plan.

Posted via Android Central App

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Try upgrading online from either Best Buy or Verizon. You should be able to do it without talking to reps.

You could also try a VAR as they tend to just care about the sale and less about the plan.

Posted via Android Central App

What's a "VAR"?

pawnage69

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site

L1 Nexus 6 UDP No Upgrade
L2 iPhone 6+ UDP No Upgrade
L3 Basic Line Upgrade Eligible
Now is it safe to order an iPhone from apple.com on the Basic Line without adding the data plan? Because we were going to use that basic line upgrade rite when the new iPhone comes out. Not sure if Verizon gets the new iPhone for order the same day as Apple would?

darrylzuk

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Best Buy's warning has always been there. You are correct in ignoring it if using your old SIM for activation.

Also, you have the methods down correctly too. In fact, your steps for Verizon can also be done through Best Buy as well. They are the only two stores that allow upgrade transfers online. I personally recommend the transferring of upgrades since it removes the pending activation on the account, but the choice is yours.

You also could use the upgrade on the basic line too if you really wanted to know all of your options. You would "upgrade" the basic line, but use your existing SIM on Line 2 for activation. It's basically a blend of the two methods you listed.

Can someone explain this bit in greater detail:

I personally recommend the transferring of upgrades since it removes the pending activation on the account, but the choice is yours.

Line 1: GS4 UDP, Upgrade Available
Line 2: GS3 UDP, Upgrade Available
Line 3: GN2 TDP, Upgrade Available
Line 4: Dumb phone, Upgrade Available

I want to upgrade line 1 and line 2 to GS6's (most likely) or something that will require a nano sim. I was planning on using the upgrade on each line to buy a new phone via Best Buy, buying the tool on amazon that clips the micro sim down to the nano size size, and then inserting the old sim before activating, until I read this post, which gave me pause. Is there a reason I should use the upgrades on lines 3 or 4? Should I upgrade line 3 and then transfer another upgrade to line 3 and repeat? Am I overthinking this now?

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Called V and and got a nice woman. She first told me to not lose my unlimited data and then told me about an iPhone deal for $200 off. Ordered the 64g iPhone 6 for my daughter for $99. 2 year contract, Getting 2gb of data for $30 a month. Nice to get someone to not try and take my unlimited away.

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

How hard is it to swap the data between my phone and my daughter's? I don't use much data on mine.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Its a broken HTC one m7

You could probably just reprogram the SIM card that ships with the iPhone 6. Basically, you would activate the iPhone 6 with the directions already provided except you wouldn't destroy the new SIM. Instead, do the following:

1.) Power off the HTC One
2.) Log into Verizon online
3.) Select "activate or switch device"
4.) Choose the unlimited data line that has the HTC One
5.) Select "activate device that has been on the account before" and select the 5s
6.) Now enter the IMEI of the iPhone 5s and the SIM number of the SIM card that shipped with the iPhone 6
7.) Follow the rest of the directions to activate the 5s on the unlimited line.

If the above doesn't work, just destroy the SIM and go to a VAR to activate the 5s.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

L1 Nexus 6 UDP No Upgrade
L2 iPhone 6+ UDP No Upgrade
L3 Basic Line Upgrade Eligible
Now is it safe to order an iPhone from apple.com on the Basic Line without adding the data plan? Because we were going to use that basic line upgrade rite when the new iPhone comes out. Not sure if Verizon gets the new iPhone for order the same day as Apple would?

Yes. You can order the new iPhone through Apple.com on the basic line.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Can someone explain this bit in greater detail:

Line 1: GS4 UDP, Upgrade Available
Line 2: GS3 UDP, Upgrade Available
Line 3: GN2 TDP, Upgrade Available
Line 4: Dumb phone, Upgrade Available

I want to upgrade line 1 and line 2 to GS6's (most likely) or something that will require a nano sim. I was planning on using the upgrade on each line to buy a new phone via Best Buy, buying the tool on amazon that clips the micro sim down to the nano size size, and then inserting the old sim before activating, until I read this post, which gave me pause. Is there a reason I should use the upgrades on lines 3 or 4? Should I upgrade line 3 and then transfer another upgrade to line 3 and repeat? Am I overthinking this now?

It all depends on whether you see needing to make any plan changes in the next few months. If you use the upgrades on Lines 1, 2, and 4, this will give you a pending activation on the line. Pending activations can result in you not being able to make changes to your line and/or to activate/switch devices on your line. For the overwhelming majority of people, these pending activations fall off of the line on their own in about a month. To avoid a pending activation, you just need to use Line 3 and upgrade/activate on that line before moving the new phone to Line 1 or 2. Additionally, using Line 3 would prevent you from having to cut a SIM.

Really the choices are yours and ultimately what is most comfortable. Your initial thoughts were fine. I personally recommend using Line 3, but only to avoid having a pending activation on a line for a month or so. If you are fine with it, then just do your plan through Best Buy. If Verizon is having a better deal, using Line 3 would allow you to utilize it.

cput

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks so much Dusoccer10! You confirmed just about everything that I was already thinking. I wasn't sure if I should keep the basic line just in case hubby decides he doesn't need a smart phone though. If that happens, can the data be dropped, reactivate the dumb phone to his TDP and use the smart phone on another line? I know he's going to want to keep his number and I do have access to a Droid Razr that he was going to try out first so the upgrade wouldn't have to be used yet thus no new contract.

I would definitely recommend him testing using a smartphone with the Droid Razr you have access to. The minute you use the basic upgrade to get him a new smartphone, plan on paying for two years of data. Even if you put the basic phone back on the line, you'll be on the hook for the data charges. Now, you can always move the new smartphone to another line (that's the gist of the method I provided), but the data charges will still be on his line even without a smartphone. This is part of the changes that Verizon instituted last August.

As long as he has an upgrade available and is "month-to-month", he can go back and forth between a smart and basic phone.

Apologies if this has been covered. Don't post much because I'm patient enough to read until I find the answers I need or comfortable enough to try something. I've read, for the last month or so, until I confuse myself, wait, come back and read again. Finally decided I was ready to attempt an upgrade. Attempted the Best Buy method a couple of days ago and ran into something that I can't remember reading about. Plus, thought about more questions I should maybe ask too. LOL

I have the old Nationwide family share plan 1400 minutes, unlimited text/pic with 4 lines on month to month.
Line 1: Galaxy S3 UDP- Upgrade (mine)
Line 2: Basic- Upgrade (hubby's)
Line 3: Galaxy S4- UDP Upgrade (son's)
Line 4: USB727 UDP- Upgrade (Mobile broadband line only, has been and currently suspended the last several years)

I have been holding on to the broadband account since moving because I figured I would need it again and it's UD. Needed it again for home/travel, so bought an used jetpack outright only to discover that I couldn't activate it to the 3g UD broadband account (per Verizon VAR, CSR and online). I'm in a 4g/LTE area. While researching to see if that was correct, I also discovered that I had been buying my phones outright to get new ones when it hadn't been necessary. Well, bite me, been paying for both all this time for nothing! In the meantime, hubby decides he wants to come out of the dark ages and get a smartphone (don't know if he'll ever learn to use it, he doesn't even have the patience to learn to use computer or tablet :D). I also need to add my elderly parents onto my plan. We are close to retirement and need to cut back on costs but I also want to help my parents. They don't have reliable internet service at home for his PC or her ipad. She's got AT&T and since discovering facebook she goes over her data limit in less than 2 weeks ;).

So, here's my questions.
1) Can I add more lines to the share plan without losing it or my UD?
2) Should I add the extra line(s) before attempting to use the upgrades to keep from showing a PA order on my account? Assuming that adding a line will activate an order.
3) When I attempted the Best Buy method before to use L2's (basic) upgrade for L1, I got all the way through to the confirm purchase button (did a screenshot each page) but didn't get the option to keep unlimited data. I stopped right there and went to research. Found some screenshots of what each step should look like and I did notice that my plan info didn't show up after connecting to check upgrade status. Went back to look at my order again and had timed out with a message to the effect of "the item was not available at this time". That was okay since I was going to cancel until I could find out what I should do anyway. Haven't tried again yet.
4) Should I use the upgrade available on L4 for L1? That would extend the contract on the L4 broadband account right?
5) Or, use L2's upgrade for L1 then transfer the upgrade available for L4 over to L2? Then L4 wouldn't be under contract?
6) I'm not seeing the option to transfer upgrades on the VZW site anymore. It can still be done right?

Sorry so long and so many questions, but I just want to be sure of the best approach to all of this before starting again. I've got some ideas on it already but just want to confirm I'm right. And I want to take advantage of all of my upgrades that I've been holding on to while I can.

You have a lot of great questions. I can definitely help you with the upgrades; though, I have zero clue about the mobile broadband line. Regarding the upgrades, the very first thing you need to do is...get your other lines added to the account! At the very least upgrade your husband to a smartphone. You can do this safely and it will not affect your unlimited line. He will go on his own tiered data plan. The good news is that this makes it very easy to then upgrade the unlimited lines. Feel free to order him a smartphone from anyone.

Once he has been upgraded, now you can focus on your own smartphone needs. At this point, all you need to do is the following:

1) Log onto Verizon or Best Buy and transfer your UDP line's upgrade your husband's TDP line;
2) Order the new smartphone you want on the TDP line selecting the TDP line's same data plan if required to select a data plan;
3) When the new smartphone arrives, activate it on the TDP line according to the directions that came with the phone using the SIM card that ships with the phone;
4) Wait at least an hour and make a few calls/text from the new smartphone to make sure it activated OK;
5) If the new smartphone and the TDP line's old phone have the same size SIM card, swap SIMs to put the TDP line's old phone back on the TDP line; if not, log onto Verizon to put the TDP line's old smartphone back on the TDP line; and
6) Depending on SIM card size, log onto Verizon and put the new smartphone on the UDP line or swap SIMs with the UDP line's old phone to put the new smartphone on the UDP line.

When you want to upgrade your son, feel free to follow the 6 steps listed above. Basically, once you create a tiered data plan on your account, all upgrades should go through it.

As for your parents, you can add them to your account as well and it will not affect your unlimited lines. Verizon has a limit on how many lines can be in an account, but they allow sub-accounts within a larger one. So, basically, there is nothing stopping you from adding them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully, someone will chime in with your mobile broadband issue.

Okay, so I got tired of waiting on everyone to make up their minds on what they wanted to do and did the Best Buy method and upgraded L2 but going to activate the new phone on L1 by putting the sim from my S3 into the new G3. The new G3 has just been delivered but I haven't opened the box yet. L2 (basic) is now showing under contract (as expected). A question that I have before doing anything further is... Should hubby finally decide to try the Droid Razr that I mentioned and I add data to L2 can I still drop the data and not be charged for it if he decides to switch back to a basic phone? TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC