[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Okay, so I got tired of waiting on everyone to make up their minds on what they wanted to do and did the Best Buy method and upgraded L2 but going to activate the new phone on L1 by putting the sim from my S3 into the new G3. The new G3 has just been delivered but I haven't opened the box yet. L2 (basic) is now showing under contract (as expected). A question that I have before doing anything further is... Should hubby finally decide to try the Droid Razr that I mentioned and I add data to L2 can I still drop the data and not be charged for it if he decides to switch back to a basic phone? TIA

No. The minute you add a smartphone to Line 2 the data charge will stick and you'll be on the hook. The testing and add/removing of data only works if you did not use the upgrade on the line.

cput

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

No. The minute you add a smartphone to Line 2 the data charge will stick and you'll be on the hook. The testing and add/removing of data only works if you did not use the upgrade on the line.

Well crud, I messed up! So, now gotta return the G3 and try to get the upgrade and my upgrade fee back. LOL

Last edited:

Matthew H1

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

If I want to preserve the upgrade on my UDP line, can I just get a new phone on the same line without using the upgrade and keep unlimited data? Would this require any special process?

BradSCJB

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Sorry guys but there is a ton of confusion on here with multiple lines. My upgrade is very basic compared to others. I have only 1 line on my account and it has am UDP. What's the steps I need to take with upgrading my phone without losing my UDP? It's a S4. I would like to go to a turbo or S5 active ( I need something water resistant)

I read back a few pages and nothing was really straight forward to my basic situation.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

So literally all you need to do with Best Buy in order to keep your UDP is upgrade on the UDP line and use the OLD SIM?

Correct. This really works if you have the same size SIM used in both the old and new phones. However, you can always cut or get an adapter to just adjust the size of the SIM as necessary.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Sorry guys but there is a ton of confusion on here with multiple lines. My upgrade is very basic compared to others. I have only 1 line on my account and it has am UDP. What's the steps I need to take with upgrading my phone without losing my UDP? It's a S4. I would like to go to a turbo or S5 active ( I need something water resistant)

I read back a few pages and nothing was really straight forward to my basic situation.

With a single line plan, you really only have one option...the Best Buy Method:

1.) Order the phone you want from Best Buy and have it shipped to home
2.) When the new phone arrives, do not turn it on or plug it in
3.) Remove the SIM that comes with the new phone and destroy it
4.) Power off your current phone and remove its SIM
5.) Take the SIM from your old phone and put it in the new phone (you might have to cut it or get an adapter depending on the size of the old SIM compared to what is used in the new phone)
6.) Power on the new phone and wait for it to activate on your line

That's all you need to do Since you have a S4, that uses a micro-SIM. The Turbo uses a nano-SIM and the S5 Active is not available on Verizon (through it does use a micro). To activate a Turbo, you would need to cut the SIM in the S4 to a nano. I would buy a SIM cutter off Amazon to help with the process.

BradSCJB

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

With a single line plan, you really only have one option...the Best Buy Method:

1.) Order the phone you want from Best Buy and have it shipped to home
2.) When the new phone arrives, do not turn it on or plug it in
3.) Remove the SIM that comes with the new phone and destroy it
4.) Power off your current phone and remove its SIM
5.) Take the SIM from your old phone and put it in the new phone (you might have to cut it or get an adapter depending on the size of the old SIM compared to what is used in the new phone)
6.) Power on the new phone and wait for it to activate on your line

That's all you need to do Since you have a S4, that uses a micro-SIM. The Turbo uses a nano-SIM and the S5 Active is not available on Verizon (through it does use a micro). To activate a Turbo, you would need to cut the SIM in the S4 to a nano. I would buy a SIM cutter off Amazon to help with the process.

Thanks.

Do I have to use bestbuy or can I get one through amazon?

BradSCJB

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Also, when I upgrade, it asks me to choose a TDP. Does it matter which I choose since I wont be using that TDP sim?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

Do I have to use bestbuy or can I get one through amazon?

The problem with Amazon is their secondary ETF. Sometimes, they will charge you the ETF if you do not follow all the activation instructions provided by them. That's why I would stay with Best Buy.

BradSCJB

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

The problem with Amazon is their secondary ETF. Sometimes, they will charge you the ETF if you do not follow all the activation instructions provided by them. That's why I would stay with Best Buy.

Well, that's a bummer. BestBuy doesn't offer the 64gb Droid Turbos.

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

how can i be 100% sure that if i return the phone within the 14 days Verizon will put the UDP back on my account is there a return policy that says that i just want to be sure i use 70 to 120 gb a month I'm really afraid to try but i want a new phone

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

how can i be 100% sure that if i return the phone within the 14 days Verizon will put the UDP back on my account is there a return policy that says that i just want to be sure i use 70 to 120 gb a month I'm really afraid to try but i want a new phone

There are usually a couple of steps involved, but it's pretty easy to do. What method are you planning on using?

Posted via Android Central App

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

can you explain the different kinds of methods because i am not sure how to even begin

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

I have 5 lines all unlimited everything all smart phones 3 iPhone 5 purchased under contract before they got rid of UDP / 1 samsung s5 purchased at retail price /1 lg g3 purchased at retail price text me if you can its probably quicker my number is 9...1...9-...5..\..6

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay