[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

BRye

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere in the 42 pages of this thread, but what about someone with Unlimited Data with only 1 line on the account? I am currently due for an upgrade out of my GNex, but hesitant to upgrade because I am forced into a tiered data plan as you all know. My fiance has an iphone on Verizon with a separate account (not unlimited data plan), but she is not eligible for an upgrade until February I believe. I was thinking of adding her line to my account. What are my options in order to upgrade my phone now (if possible), and still keep my Unlimited Data for my line? Pay full retail for the phone I know is 1 option, as well as adding a "dummy line". If I add a dummy line now (my fiance's line for example) I would need to wait for upgrade to be eligible for that line then, no? I really do not want to cave in to the Verizon Edge program so any help/advice anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

redeye_joe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

I just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable rep from VZW agent and she said it was no problem if I used a line that I just canceled about 10 days ago, she said I have 50 days from time I cancel the dummy line to be able to keep the upgrades ect. But as many have stated you cant transfer phone upgrade from a unlimited line to the dummy line and do the upgrade or you will be downgraded to a limited data plan. She said when you do it you need to have them "code it as a customer bought device" and you will have no problems keeping the unlimited data plans on lines that are still active as unlimited. I was thinking of going to Straight talk until I seen this thread. I am glad I didn't cancel with them and find this later.

BRye

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I went to the VZW store earlier this afternoon to inquire about the Droid Maxx. I explained how I wanted to add a line for $10 and purchase the Maxx on that line, and then switch the device over to my real line. They said you can not do that. I currently only have 1 line, and the manager explained that if I add another line to my account it will become a Share Plan and it'll automatically increase to $30.00, then went on to tell me not to be too attached to my unlimited data because come September 1st or 2nd all unlimited plans will turn into 2 gig data plans on the next billing cycle. Now, I am not completely sure if this was a ploy to get me to opt into the Verizon Edge program or a 2 year contract on a tiered data plan, but I did not bite. I said I'll need to think things over before I commit to anything. Are you really not able to add an additional line to your account for $10? I seem to be at a crossroads here, and can either by the phone full retail and keep unlimited (and hope Verizon doesn't turn all Unlimited data plans to 2 Gig plans), or go with the Edge program and utilize this glorified "rent-a-phone" offer. Ugh.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I went to the VZW store earlier this afternoon to inquire about the Droid Maxx. I explained how I wanted to add a line for $10 and purchase the Maxx on that line, and then switch the device over to my real line. They said you can not do that. I currently only have 1 line, and the manager explained that if I add another line to my account it will become a Share Plan and it'll automatically increase to $30.00, then went on to tell me not to be too attached to my unlimited data because come September 1st or 2nd all unlimited plans will turn into 2 gig data plans on the next billing cycle. Now, I am not completely sure if this was a ploy to get me to opt into the Verizon Edge program or a 2 year contract on a tiered data plan, but I did not bite. I said I'll need to think things over before I commit to anything. Are you really not able to add an additional line to your account for $10? I seem to be at a crossroads here, and can either by the phone full retail and keep unlimited (and hope Verizon doesn't turn all Unlimited data plans to 2 Gig plans), or go with the Edge program and utilize this glorified "rent-a-phone" offer. Ugh.

Its a ploy they'd have to send notice before changing a plan on you.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

If you have a single line Nationwide plan with unlimited data, they cannot force you to change to it to a FAMILY Share Everything plan. You are allowed to add another line and have a Nationwide Family Share plan, but it'll still cost you more than $10 per month (usually) when you change from any type of single line plan to a family share plan.

Radjazz

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I am looking to do this in the next week or so. Trying to decide between the Ultra/Maxx or the Moto X. I have unlimited on Line A and 2GB on Line B. I would like to pass the upgrade from my Line A to line B and order the phone online, but I cannot find the location to transfer the upgrade. If I click Upgrade Device on any phone on my account I get a message that states "We're sorry! We are not able to support your account online at this time. You will need to call customer service at (800) 922-0204 in order to complete your transaction." Where do I locate this transfer upgrade.
On a side note, went to the local VZW authorized dealer (non-corp) and the rep there said he is wanting to do this as well, but has had about a 50% success rate of not losing unlimited on the line. This is not a corp guy, so I assume he is not going from a script. He said he was willing to give it a shot any way I wanted, but he would not guarantee success. He also warned that once I lost the unlimited package, it could not be undone. So it was make a choice and live with the results. I was under the impression that if you were not happy you could undo any changes in the first 14 days and retain your unlimited data. This is scary to me! The last thing I want to do is lose the data for a few hundred dollars I could spend to buy the phone full price.
So 2 questions: I see lots of success stories, no failure stories. Does that say we should have no fear?
How do I transfer this upgrade if the online page won't let me get to that portion?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I was under the impression that if you were not happy you could undo any changes in the first 14 days and retain your unlimited data. T

This is true. If something goes wrong, you take the phone back to them, they reverse all changes and give you your money back. I think there is a restock fee after 3 days or something to that effect.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I have a single unlimited line at the moment. Most scenarios have an unlimited plan here and use another line or two to do this. What do I do being I have a single? And after I do what's my cost moving forward. I want an x and I don't wanna spend 600 bux. Is this doable......is it even worth it for me......how much am I saving vs buying the phone outright? Contract up in jan but I'm not renewing obviously.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This is true. If something goes wrong, you take the phone back to them, they reverse all changes and give you your money back. I think there is a restock fee after 3 days or something to that effect.

Restocking fee applies regardless. The activation fee, if applicable, will be refunded if cancelled within 3 days. I once had a csr tell me otherwise, even though Verizon written policy states this...

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Restocking fee applies regardless. The activation fee, if applicable, will be refunded if cancelled within 3 days. I once had a csr tell me otherwise, even though Verizon written policy states this...

Thanks! I wasn't sure (hence "I think") which fee it was, but if I remember correctly they're close to the same price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! I wasn't sure (hence "I think") which fee it was, but if I remember correctly they're close to the same price.

Yeah, i think one is $35,the other $36,but AFAIK, the restocking fee isn't waived if you return within 3 days.

MakaMaka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

My dad has a dumb phone that he wants to keep, but is eligible for an upgrade. I have a bionic with unlimited data. If I order a new HTC One online using my dad's upgrade, and have it sent to me, can I just call and activate it on my droid bionic line and leave my dad's phone alone? Could I possibly just swap out the SIM card?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

My dad has a dumb phone that he wants to keep, but is eligible for an upgrade. I have a bionic with unlimited data. If I order a new HTC One online using my dad's upgrade, and have it sent to me, can I just call and activate it on my droid bionic line and leave my dad's phone alone? Could I possibly just swap out the SIM card?

No You would have to activate it on your dads line first then change your dads line back to dumb phone then put it on your line.

galvatron2k1

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Reporting a successful activation of a new phone on the unlimited plan. This was done on 8-23-2013 and the whole process completed that day.

Here's my Nationwide Talk and Text family plan:
Line A: Grandfathered unlimited plan on a 3G smartphone on a month to month basis.
Line E: Dumbphone with an upgrade available.

1. Went to veriozonwireless.com, logged on and upgraded the dumbphone to a 4G smartphone and completed the purchase for an in-store pickup because I really wanted a new phone ASAP
  • Went over to Verizon store for a pick up. Rep goes "wow you are going from a basic phone to a 4G smartphone. That's a major upgrade!" I just laughed and said it was for another family member! So the rep activated the phone and it works and everything and I went home. At no point did I mention I wanted to switch phones or keep an unlimited plan. FYI, if you select in-store pick up, you have to activate the new phone at the store. Which is fine for me since that's one less step I have to do at home and guarantees that the new phone is working.
  • Went home, logged on to Verizon did the switch device. But here's were I ran into a hiccup. When I selected to switch devices on the newly activated smartphone line (Line E), I got this message: "Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this MDN but have not activated it yet. You have the option to proceed after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance." My thoughts were "Oh great this is not going to work."

So i just went ahead and called that number and spoke to an actual rep. Told that rep I was having trouble switching phones online and that I wanted to go back to the dumbphone and the rep did not ask why. The rep actually just switched the phones while I was on the line with the rep for me and I can see that change on Verizonwireless.com
  • So with the dumbphone back on in service ( I made sure that dumbphone worked and the new smartphone didn't have service) I went online again and selected the switch device option on Line A. There I selected new 4G smartphone as my new device from the drop down menu of previously used devices on the account. Hit next and got a popup saying something along the lines that the new device you selected is not compatible with your current plan and I was only able to hit next. Then I got to the Data option page and low and behold there was an option to select the 29.99 Unlimited Web and email plan or the 2GB for 30 plan and you can also select other plans too, but why wouldn't you select the Unlimited plan!!!
    Hit next and now it says that your new phone requires a SIM card. Keep in mind that I had a 3G phone so there were no SIM card. The only SIM card I have is the one from the new 4G phone. I could only hit continue. Then I got the option to have them send me a new SIM card or use a SIM card that I got. I selected the latter option because I was just going to use the SIM card from the new 4G phone and had to enter that # down online. Hit complete and it gave me confirmation page and everything seems fine. FYI, on the confirmation page it still says I have the unlimited plan. Went back to overview of my account and there it is, the new 4G phone on Line A and it still says Unlimited data with a month-to-month contract AND I still have an upgrade available on Line A!!!
  • Then I went ahead to use my new 4G smartphone and here is the second hiccup. I couldn't place or receive any calls, text and data doesn't work. I said "Oh great here we go again" Even though on verizonwireless.com it shows that the new phone is associated with Line A it still didn't work but Line E with the dumbphone works like before.
    So the only option I had left was called that same number again when I had the MDN issue and see what they could do. Called them up explained to them that I was trying to switch devices on my family plan and now it doesn't work. Luckily I got a different rep and that rep was extremely nice and helpful. The rep did ask if I activated that 4G smartphone previously on another number from my plan and I said yes. Didn't ask any further questions why I was switching devices the same day I activated. The rep walked me through a couple of troubleshooters and we think it was probably a loose SIM card or that the system just needed time to update because during my call to the rep I was able to send and receive test calls and texts. Thanked the rep and everything was working fine!

As of today everything is working without a hiccup and enjoy that unlimited 4G speed! Thanks for everyone's help here and I will continue to contribute to this thread if there are any questions.

This is an excellent tutorial. I was able to use this and activate my device all from home with no Verizon interaction. I only had a few differences. I did not have the same issue in step 3. I was able to switch my dumbphone back and it did not prompt me saying it could not be activated.

However, I did encounter step 5. I decided to wait a few moments before calling Verizon to have them reactivate as I could not make calls out or receive calls. The phone was showing switched successfully on the VZW web page with unlimited data but the line hadn't transferred correctly. I waited about 10 minutes and had just picked up the land-line to call Verizon when a text came through on my new device. I immediately dialed a number and it gave me a fast busy signal rather than connecting or the Verizon automated message that the line was active. I waited another minute and made another phone call and this time it went through. So, it may just take roughly 15 minutes for everything to go through and the line to fully activate with your number. Thanks again for the great tutorial.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Just for clarification. My line line 1 has unlimited and a upgrade available.

Line 2 with unlimited,line 3 with 2gb and line 4 a basic phone all don't is their a way to use the upgrade on line 1 but keep unlimited? Or anything I do concerning the upgrade on line 1 will make me loose unlimited?

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Just for clarification. My line line 1 has unlimited and a upgrade available.

Line 2 with unlimited,line 3 with 2gb and line 4 a basic phone all don't is their a way to use the upgrade on line 1 but keep unlimited? Or anything I do concerning the upgrade on line 1 will make me loose unlimited?

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to swap the upgrade to your line 3. When you get the new phone activate on line 3. After it has been activated swap it to the line you want it on and put the old phone back on line 3.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

You should be able to swap the upgrade to your line 3. When you get the new phone activate on line 3. After it has been activated swap it to the line you want it on and put the old phone back on line 3.

OK thank you. Ill have to see if they'll swap it and not do an alternate upgrade.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

OK thank you. Ill have to see if they'll swap it and not do an alternate upgrade.

You can do it all online. Just transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to the tiered data. Then use the upgrade on the tiered line.

patal05

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

They will tell you that you will lose unlimited data, but they are wrong. You CAN transfer your upgrade online and as long as you activate it on the non-unlimited line, you will keep unlimited.
People in stores/on the online chat/on the phone will tell you that if you transfer your upgrade in any way that you will lose unlimited data. This is NOT the case.

Radjazz

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

WHere do I see this upgrade transfer on my account. I have looked everywhere and all I get is a message about not being able to make changes at this time to my account online, please call. Been this way since January or so. How do I find this missing transfer button?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta