[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Billy Young1

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hellllp. Im on a family share plan 700 min with two lines both available for upgrade. Only one line has unlimited the other is 2gb. Both lines are on iPhone 4S and i want to upgrade both to the new note 3 for my wife and i.... Can I preorder both phones at the same time and keep unlimited data on one?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Hellllp. Im on a family share plan 700 min with two lines both available for upgrade. Only one line has unlimited the other is 2gb. Both lines are on iPhone 4S and i want to upgrade both to the new note 3 for my wife and i.... Can I preorder both phones at the same time and keep unlimited data on one?

I believe you will only be pre-order 1 phone. Once that is activated transfer the upgrade and order the other phone.

Sent from my maguro using Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Even so, moving phones from line to line certainly doesn't impact customer retention.

Some have said that they moved phones no problem, but the terms are what they are. If you do it, then you take the risk. I personally wouldn't take the chance, even though the risk is low, but every one can make that decision for themselves

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Some have said that they moved phones no problem, but the terms are what they are. If you do it, then you take the risk. I personally wouldn't take the chance, even though the risk is low, but every one can make that decision for themselves

Just like you, I'm willing to wait until Thanksgiving and see what Costco or somebody else offers, then call them and, hopefully, ask the right questions. But wouldn't it be nice to get Note 3 for $49.99? :D

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Just like you, I'm willing to wait until Thanksgiving and see what Costco or somebody else offers, then call them and, hopefully, ask the right questions. But wouldn't it be nice to get Note 3 for $49.99? :D

Thanksgiving is probably a little soon. Probably in January /February if it drops to around $100,I would get it. I think that the likelihood is higher because by then it would have been out a while and January /February are usually slower months, considering right after Christmas. But I certainly hope it would be $50 by Thanksgiving, just not betting on it

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanksgiving is probably a little soon. Probably in January /February if it drops to around $100,I would get it. I think that the likelihood is higher because by then it would have been out a while and January /February are usually slower months, considering right after Christmas. But I certainly hope it would be $50 by Thanksgiving, just not betting on it

If I remember correctly, nobody but Costco was selling Rezound at that point for $49.99, so I'm hopeful.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If I remember correctly, nobody but Costco was selling Rezound at that point for $49.99, so I'm hopeful.

Amazon was selling the rezound, droid razr, skyrocket, etc for a penny on black Friday 2011(around the same time Costco was selling the Rezound for $50),but only for new line of service.

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Still somewhat perplexed. I have two smart phones with unlimited data.

If I go online to activate a third phone, a dumb phone, the charge is $30 a month for a "basic" phone. I'm assuming I start a new line, use it to purchase a new smartphone, pay $40 plus 2 GB data plan, activate phone...transfer it to one of my unlimited plans etc.

When all is said and done I have to put a dumb phone with a basic plan back on the new line, and remove data. But aren't I still stuck with $30 per month basic phone charge?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Still somewhat perplexed. I have two smart phones with unlimited data.

If I go online to activate a third phone, a dumb phone, the charge is $30 a month for a "basic" phone. I'm assuming I start a new line, use it to purchase a new smartphone, pay $40 plus 2 GB data plan, activate phone...transfer it to one of my unlimited plans etc.

When all is said and done I have to put a dumb phone with a basic plan back on the new line, and remove data. But aren't I still stuck with $30 per month basic phone charge?

You probably have a family share plan now. So just add a line for $10 plus taxes.

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

How do I do that? Only option is see when I click add a line it takes me to new devices screen

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Not to jinx it, God forbid, but I'm amazed that Verizon hasn't yet learned and crushed this scheme. If this comes to be true about the embedded SIMs and one would have to go to the stores to do the swapping, that may be it. :'(

Last edited:

jmayer77

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

The closest verizon store is quite a drive.

I see the option of using "Existing SIM" when switching the device online (it is already deactivated from the other line). Can I use the SIM that came with the phone (activated on the other line)? Will that reset the SIM and make it reusable? Or do I have to make the hike to the verizon store for a new line-specific SIM?

Thanks!

jcash3

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

The closest verizon store is quite a drive.

I see the option of using "Existing SIM" when switching the device online (it is already deactivated from the other line). Can I use the SIM that came with the phone (activated on the other line)? Will that reset the SIM and make it reusable? Or do I have to make the hike to the verizon store for a new line-specific SIM?

Thanks!

I used the existing SIM and it worked fine. You'll have to find the SIM card number which I found at Settings -> About Phone -> Status. The number was the ICCID on my Maxx. I would certainly try that first. Just be patient when activating the SIM. It seemed to take quite a while to update (15 or 20 min) on the Verizon website.

BenjiMaxwell1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Had to take my phone in to do an exchange after successful completing the unlimited data plan loophole 10 days ago. The Verizon rep exchanged my device but ended up dropping the unlimited data plan and it also used my upgrade that I had on my unlimited data line! Now I'm really mad. I am calling Verizon tomorrow to see if I can fix this. So beware guys if you plan on doing an exchange on a defective phone!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Had to take my phone in to do an exchange after successful completing the unlimited data plan loophole 10 days ago. The Verizon rep exchanged my device but ended up dropping the unlimited data plan and it also used my upgrade that I had on my unlimited data line! Now I'm really mad. I am calling Verizon tomorrow to see if I can fix this. So beware guys if you plan on doing an exchange on a defective phone!

Did you use an upgrade on an alternate line or transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to the alternate line.

Sent from my maguro using Tapatalk 4

tree9

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for all the info here, I currently have this:

1. 3G phone w/ unlimited data, upgrade available
2. 3G phone w/ unlimited data, upgrade available

To keep both unlimited + new subsidized phones, is my only option to buy a 3rd line eventually downgrading it to a dumb phone at $10 per month for 2 years?
Or is there a way to go month to month on a new dumb phone, funneling the upgrades through it, and cancel the new 3rd line all together?

thanks

anyone?

agreeing to an additional unused dumb phone line for 24 months (which i read comes out to about $13 per month) still means I give Verizon an extra $312. Just want to be sure it is indeed the only way. I do not need a 3rd line at all

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

anyone?

agreeing to an additional unused dumb phone line for 24 months (which i read comes out to about $13 per month) still means I give Verizon an extra $312. Just want to be sure it is indeed the only way. I do not need a 3rd line at all

As far as I know that's the only way.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Unless I still don't understand how this schema works, in order to upgrade both phones and keep both lines unlimited, you'd need two new dumb lines.