[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Thanks for the quick response! That's what I figured but will I then in turn be able to transfer my unused upgrade to the dumb phone for them to use without it affected my unlimited data?

Sorry for the paranoia!

From what I got anecdotally from tx_tuff, that is correct; you will not lose unlimited data doing a transfer from your unlimited line to a dumb phone. If by some chance you lose unlimited data within 14 days, you can return the phone and Verizon MUST revert everything the way it does. However, it won't even come to that, since transferring an upgrade doesn't kill unlimited data. If anything, the unlimited data line now has a new 2 year contract. :) Verizon can't touch you for that long...

In short, you'll be fine...if you go back a lot of pages, I had the same paranoia just doing the alternate upgrade, but that worked out fine.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

From what I got anecdotally from tx_tuff, that is correct; you will not lose unlimited data doing a transfer from your unlimited line to a dumb phone. If by some chance you lose unlimited data within 14 days, you can return the phone and Verizon MUST revert everything the way it does. However, it won't even come to that, since transferring an upgrade doesn't kill unlimited data. If anything, the unlimited data line now has a new 2 year contract. :) Verizon can't touch you for that long...

In short, you'll be fine...if you go back a lot of pages, I had the same paranoia just doing the alternate upgrade, but that worked out fine.

What he said, you keep the unlimited but you are under a new 2 year contract.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

However, it won't even come to that, since transferring an upgrade doesn't kill unlimited data. If anything, the unlimited data line now has a new 2 year contract. :) Verizon can't touch you for that long....

Actually, they can decide to take away unlimited data at any time during your contract period, but they have to notify you in advance and you should then be given the opportunity to cancel your contract without an ETF penalty if you decide to.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Actually, they can decide to take away unlimited data at any time during your contract period, but they have to notify you in advance and you should then be given the opportunity to cancel your contract without an ETF penalty if you decide to.

Even if you are right (in regards to what you said before the word "but"), I would definitely drop Verizon like a bad habit, ETF-free. Only reason I have Verizon is because of the sweet unlimited data.

However, if what you said was correct, it would have happened already. There is a difference between "can", "will" and "should."

I believe Verizon "won't" but we will see. In the meantime, I will enjoy all my Verizon Unlimited Data provides me. :D

jayshoji

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I just went through all of this with VZW yesterday to take advantage of the $50 discount on MotoMaker this weekend. They informed me that if I did anything with the upgrade on the smartphone line (transfer the upgrade from it to the feature phone line OR transfer an upgrade from an eligible line to the smartphone line), you will lose your unlimited data. See Post# 1778 for instructions on what to do. That's exactly my situation (may not be yours) and what I did, but I did it all in-store with some helpful sales reps. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I just went through all of this with VZW yesterday to take advantage of the $50 discount on MotoMaker this weekend. They informed me that if I did anything with the upgrade on the smartphone line (transfer the upgrade from it to the feature phone line OR transfer an upgrade from an eligible line to the smartphone line), you will lose your unlimited data. See Post# 1778 for instructions on what to do. That's exactly my situation (may not be yours) and what I did, but I did it all in-store with some helpful sales reps. Good luck!

jayshoji

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I received a VIP mailer from Sams Club offering the S4 for .97 cents for Thanksgiving.

I have 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone.

1 smartphone is due for an upgrade, but I will be transferring the upgrade to the basic phone. I want to purchase the phone from Sams Club then transfer it to my smartphone to keep my unlimited data.

I read on page 1 of this thread that doing this switch-a-roo would not work if the phone was not purchased from a VZW store. Can someone confirm?

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

Even if you are right (in regards to what you said before the word "but"), I would definitely drop Verizon like a bad habit, ETF-free. Only reason I have Verizon is because of the sweet unlimited data.

However, if what you said was correct, it would have happened already. There is a difference between "can", "will" and "should."

I believe Verizon "won't" but we will see. In the meantime, I will enjoy all my Verizon Unlimited Data provides me. :D
Absolutely, I will also enjoy the unlimited data on my lines, especially since they also have the $20 talk and data discount on each line as well.

I'm pointing out that making a statement that VZW has to keep you on unlimited because you just re-upped to a new two year contract is not correct. They "can" change it, I wasn't saying they "will" change it. :)

To be clear, I'm saying they "can" decide to no longer allow it period and take it away from anyone whether they are under contract or month-to-month. Hopefully they won't for a long time. :)

Last edited:

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

I received a VIP mailer from Sams Club offering the S4 for .97 cents for Thanksgiving.

I have 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone.

1 smartphone is due for an upgrade, but I will be transferring the upgrade to the basic phone. I want to purchase the phone from Sams Club then transfer it to my smartphone to keep my unlimited data.

I read on page 1 of this thread that doing this switch-a-roo would not work if the phone was not purchased from a VZW store. Can someone confirm?

Some third party dealers will hit you with their own ETF if you switch the phone from the line you upgraded within 181 days. Dell ($400), Wirefly are a couple that do this. Best Buy is a third party that does not.

For Sam's Club, you will need to ask them, unless someone comes along and responds to your post.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Some third party dealers will hit you with their own ETF if you switch the phone from the line you upgraded within 181 days. Dell ($400), Wirefly are a couple that do this. Best Buy is a third party that does not.

For Sam's Club, you will need to ask them, unless someone comes along and responds to your post.

Simplexity fulfills both Sam's Club and Dell and a number of other places. Their online site is Wirefly. Anything using Simplexity will have similar terms on the secondary etf of $400

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Simplexity fulfills both Sam's Club and Dell and a number of other places. Their online site is Wirefly. Anything using Simplexity will have similar terms on the secondary etf of $400

Does Simplexity also fulfull Walmart? Part of my reason for asking is that Walmart has some decent deals for Black Friday and I would think my chances of getting Sam's Club to match would be higher if they handled both.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Does Simplexity also fulfull Walmart? Part of my reason for asking is that Walmart has some decent deals for Black Friday and I would think my chances of getting Sam's Club to match would be higher if they handled both.

Walmart owns Sam's Club, and is fulfilled by Simplexity.

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

Thank you very much for that info! I will file that away for future reference.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Here's a dilemma. Both my wife and I are eligible for upgrades. My wife is happy with her dumb phone that I was going to use eventually to preserve my unlimited data. My son's eligibility comes up in April of next year. Now turns out he wants an upgrade to a smartphone for Christmas. What does the latter mean for making my future back-and-forth switch. If I were to transfer my wife's upgrade to my son, I can't use her line to upgrade again and to preserve my data. What happens if I transfer my upgrade to him and then use my wife's line for my new smartphone? Or transferring my upgrade to him makes me ineligible for the scheme to keep unlimited data?

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Okay. Just checking - does this loophole still work as of today?

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Try it out and let us know.

lol well I went to my local VZW store and I talked to the rep about doing the switch and he said that he does the same thing, but since I used my flip phone line already for an upgrade like last year, I would have to add ANOTHER flip phone line to use for its upgrade. He also said that now the terms have changed and that I would forfeit my unlimited on my own smartphone line if I transferred the upgrade to the flip phone line

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

lol well I went to my local VZW store and I talked to the rep about doing the switch and he said that he does the same thing, but since I used my flip phone line already for an upgrade like last year, I would have to add ANOTHER flip phone line to use for its upgrade. He also said that now the terms have changed and that I would forfeit my unlimited on my own smartphone line if I transferred the upgrade to the flip phone line

If true, very bad news for my case. :(

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Your first problem is you talked to a Verizon rep. I'm not trying to be an a$$ but almost everybody that talks to a rep always gets told wrong since thus thread has started.

So you have a upgrade now in your dumbphone?

peters4n6

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I've had the darndest time trying to find the commentary in this thread concerning three things (yes, I've searched and read for nearly an hour):

What is the process for going from an older and larger SIM card (in my case an HTC Thuderbolt) to a new phone with a smaller SIM slot? (in my case I'm planning on a Note 3). I don't want to cut the card down to size. Search indicates user cg101 addressed this somewhere in the thread with a reprogramming of the new phone's card, but I can't find it.

Can't this process be all done online without having to engage Verizon Customer support chat? This and other guides suggest that but recent posts show examples of users doing it by chat. Did something change?

Lastly, would be curious if what post #1797 says is true (one upgrade per dumbphone per year including transfers) as I, too would like to upgrade two lines with this method.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I've had the darndest time trying to find the commentary in this thread concerning three things (yes, I've searched and read for nearly an hour):

What is the process for going from an older and larger SIM card (in my case an HTC Thuderbolt) to a new phone with a smaller SIM slot? (in my case I'm planning on a Note 3). I don't want to cut the card down to size. Search indicates user cg101 addressed this somewhere in the thread with a reprogramming of the new phone's card, but I can't find it.

Can't this process be all done online without having to engage Verizon Customer support chat? This and other guides suggest that but recent posts show examples of users doing it by chat. Did something change?

Lastly, would be curious if what post #1797 says is true (one upgrade per dumbphone per year including transfers) as I, too would like to upgrade two lines with this method.

The new phone should come with a new SIM. The guy in the post you refer to talked to a Verizon rep so it's not true.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power