[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

just did this today and it worked. the sales rep and the manager were pissed at me doing it though. they said that if i transfer the phone to another line I

1) can't return it as usual during the 14 days (i don't plan to) and
2) can't get warranty on it through verizon

Is that total BS or what?

they also said they're noting my account or something. dunno what that means

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Tell them to bugger off. What you are doing is allowed by the tos contract.

Nexus through spacetime.

Tim Y

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if this has been answered in the >40 pages here, but I have an unlimited line and a basic phone line, both with upgrades available. If I used the basic line upgrade to get a new HTC One and transferred it to my unlimited line, would I be on a new 2-year contract?

Also, would it be possible to upgrade the basic line with another basic phone, then soon after transfer my unlimited line upgrade to the basic line and get the new smartphone to use on my unlimited line?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if this has been answered in the >40 pages here, but I have an unlimited line and a basic phone line, both with upgrades available. If I used the basic line upgrade to get a new HTC One and transferred it to my unlimited line, would I be on a new 2-year contract?

Also, would it be possible to upgrade the basic line with another basic phone, then soon after transfer my unlimited line upgrade to the basic line and get the new smartphone to use on my unlimited line?

If you upgrade the basic phone line with the One and then move the phone to unlimited line the basic phone will be on a new 2 year contract.

Yes to your other question.

Tapatalk mofo

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

just did this today and it worked. the sales rep and the manager were pissed at me doing it though. they said that if i transfer the phone to another line I

1) can't return it as usual during the 14 days (i don't plan to) and
2) can't get warranty on it through verizon

Is that total BS or what?

they also said they're noting my account or something. dunno what that means

Total BS. They don't want to do it, so they put up crap, sometimes inaccurate excuses. Salesmen do it all the time. Next time, if a csr tells you this, tell him that you would like to see the written documentation of this policy. If he says, there is no written policy or he can't find it, ask him to write it for you on a piece of paper, handwritten is fine, with his name, so that you can call corporate to let them know your dissatisfaction with the policy. I can guarantee you that they won't write it down for you since it isn't true. I haven't heard of anyone being denied warranty by transferring the phone to another line. At most, you would simply have to transfer it back to the original line temporarily right before you called, if a csr hassled you.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I think I might need to do this too, I have the promotional plan of 4gb/ month for 30 bucks. 4 gigs is just right for me and I don't want to pay 50 bucks on a new tiered contract. Wish that I would've gotten into smart phones before the unlimited business ended, but I was too stuck in my ways.

Posted via Android Central App

galvatron2k1

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Could use some helpful advice. I plan on upgrading to an HTC one from a Rezound using a dumb line on my family plan to keep my unlimited. I'm also looking for the best price and I stumbled on Viva Movil from some other posts in the HTC one thread. They are offering the device on preorder for $99.99. My question is has anybody dealt with them before and do they charge an additional ETF for transfer like Amazon/Newegg/Dell, etc. I called and they said they didn't (but the lady didn't sound 100% confident) and I also looked around on their website but couldn't find anything in their terms of agreement.

https://shop.getviva.com/carrier_terms.php?carrier=VEZ - customer agreement
https://shop.getviva.com/static/support-faqs - FAQs
https://shop.getviva.com/static/terms - terms and conditions

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Could use some helpful advice. I plan on upgrading to an HTC one from a Rezound using a dumb line on my family plan to keep my unlimited. I'm also looking for the best price and I stumbled on Viva Movil from some other posts in the HTC one thread. They are offering the device on preorder for $99.99. My question is has anybody dealt with them before and do they charge an additional ETF for transfer like Amazon/Newegg/Dell, etc. I called and they said they didn't (but the lady didn't sound 100% confident) and I also looked around on their website but couldn't find anything in their terms of agreement.

https://shop.getviva.com/carrier_terms.php?carrier=VEZ - customer agreement
https://shop.getviva.com/static/support-faqs - FAQs
https://shop.getviva.com/static/terms - terms and conditions

I am not familiar with it, other than that jenny from the block is it chief creative officer. But I would just read the terms very carefully before agreeing. All the other third party who charge a secondary etf must disclose it in the terms that you agree to. Most people just blindly click "AGREE".

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Excuse my redundancy but I am just trying to make sure about all of my options before I proceed. I have four lines two on 2GB data plans and two with unlimited data. One of the unlimited data lines has an upgrade. What would be the best course of action to proceed to obtain a Maxx (my current phone obsession) and still keep my unlimited data? Thank you for any and all responses.

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

Excuse my redundancy but I am just trying to make sure about all of my options before I proceed. I have four lines two on 2GB data plans and two with unlimited data. One of the unlimited data lines has an upgrade. What would be the best course of action to proceed to obtain a Maxx (my current phone obsession) and still keep my unlimited data? Thank you for any and all responses.

Get VZW to transfer the upgrade to a 2gb phone. Buy the Maxx on that line and activate it on that line. Then activate the old phone on that line, this frees up the maxx to be activated on your unlimited line. In 2 years do it again with the next big thing.

Psinext22

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Okay, I've read the entire thread, but need to check and make sure before I do this.

my situation is about the same as everyone else. I have unlimited data on my phone, my parents have a basic phone, that they don't use very much. I would just upgrade their basic phone to the 2gb plan and activate the new phone on their line, and then I can just reactivate their old phone to their line, and then use the new phone on my own? In as little as 24 hours?

I just want to make sure, because I called Verizon, and just checked into various things, trying to be as vague as possible. They said that if I didn't wait 14 days to switch the phone back to the old line, that I would be charged the full amount for the phone. But that after two weeks, I could switch the phone back to their old phone, and I would just have used the upgrade. And the phone is ours to keep to put on whatever phone.

Is this accurate? I'm scared of getting charged an extra 500.00 for a phone. But if everyone, even recently has been able to switch over after just a few hours, or within a day, I feel better about the switch.

Again, I would be using my parents upgrade to buy the phone, activating it on theirs, and then switching it to mine.

I also heard that you can't do it via Amazon or Wirefly? That depresses me since you can get the phone for 50-100.00 less on those sites. Why won't that work?

Thanks for the help guys

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

No wait time necessary. I have done it same day, heck same hour, no problem. Some third party may charge a $400 secondary etf when transferring the phone within 181 days, I know best buy and Costco do not.

mrmatt#AC

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

As far as the warranty/insurance coverage - do I need that on the dummy line in order for the new phone to be covered by it on my primary line I'll be moving it to?

Can I add the $9.99/mo service to the dummy line, upgrade/activate new phone, then activate a dumb phone and drop the data/insurance from that line after the smartphone is moved over to my unlimited line? or what is the process to make sure my new phone is still covered via the insurance on my primary line?

Jeff Skinner

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Just to clarify any concerns about following this process with a 4G phone, Verizon does make you wait 24 hrs before you activate the old phone back to the line you have upgraded. I activated my new Galaxy S3 with the SIM that came with the new phone on the line I was upgrading [the non-unlimited data line]. I tried turning around and activating the old basic phone right away and Verizon's website kept saying I had recently upgraded to a new phone on the line and I was unable to activate the old phone until the new one was activated. Although I already had activated it. I read somewhere [probably in this thread] that they make you wait 24hrs so I waited a day. After the wait, I was able to successfully activate my old phone and free up the new S3 to be switched to the unlimited line. I'll be doing that today. I'll switch the SIM from the current phone on the unlimited line to the new S3 and activate it on the website.

Thanks to everyone on this site for all your help and insight to getting this done. It was simple and easy. Other than the 24 hr wait time it was pretty quick too. All was done online also.

Fredo_p

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

I just tried yesterday and successfully kept my unlimited data plan. It was a bit complicated but I knew what I had to do, but didn't know what I had to say (will explain). Here is the order of events on how I did this with a 4G phone. I had the OG Droid but killed the screen so I had no phone for almost a month and a half. I was desperate to get this done.

Just to clarify any concerns about following this process with a 4G phone, Verizon does make you wait 24 hrs before you activate the old phone back to the line you have upgraded.....

As far as I know, you don't have to wait 24 hrs. It's just a pain in the *** to transfer an already activated 4G phone/sim card.

Here is exactly what I did from start to finish:
8/16
  • logged into Verizonwireless acct
  • went to upgrades section and transferred the upgrade on my line (Moto Droid) to my wife's number (iPhone 4)
  • Continued with upgrade and purchased just the Moto Droid 4 $99.99 w/4G LTE sim card and waited till Tue. for the phone to arrive
  • Called wife to make sure she wouldn't use her iPhone while I activated and did the transfer

Activation Process

• Via instructions, called and activated 4G sim card under her number as per the purchase order
  • Inserted Sim Card and plugged phone to do mandatory 3hr min charge.
  • Powered phone and continued to set up the phone under her line **MAKE SURE TO SKIP ADDING A GOOGLE ACCOUNT!!!!!**
  • Factory reset phone and powered it down, went back to acct online to verify the D4 was activated to her line
  • Called the sim card activation number again and used my number as the phone to be activated with the sim card (Purchase order that came in the box indicated both our lines were eligible to be used on the sim card CHECK IT STATES THIS)
  • Since the sim card was already activated, I was transferred to a rep for assistance **NOTE**: This is were you "explain" why you have to reactivate the sim to your line)
  • I informed the tech rep that I was trying to activate the phone from home but ran into problems and my wife was still at work with the iPhone and needed the phone. She deactivated her line from the D4 and I was able to go online and reactivate her iPhone to her number. I then informed her that I wanted to continue activating the D4 so I requested to have my number be registered with the sim card (all while sounding hopeless and desperate)
  • The my number was activated to the sim and I had to setup the phone again.

As a word of caution, when you start the D4 again and start going through the activation, the original number activated on the sim will show up. Ignore it. The tech support advised me that it would do this until I finished activating the phone. The most important step that finished the transfer was adding a Google account. The second I finished entering the password and hit accept, I was bombarded with all the texts and voice mails I had missed.

My wife was able to call *228 from her iPhone and get her phone back on. Voila, I still have my unlimited plan. From the moment I cut open the box and started to activate the sim until I had my line on the D4, a total of 2 hrs passed. A good portion of it was researching how to transfer numbers on a sim card.

ofiba

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site

I just tried to transfer an upgrade to keep unlimited data and was denied by a Verizon CSR.

Here was my situation...
1 Unlimited data line WITH upgrade eligible
1 tiered 2GB data line without upgrade

Online, I took the option to transfer my upgrade on the unlimited line to the 2GB line and purchased an HTC one with the upgrade. I chose store pickup for the delivery method.

When I went to pick up my phone, I was upfront with the CSR and told him I wanted to activate the phone on my 2gb line and then reactivate the existing Iphone so I can activate the new phone to my unlimited line and keep unlimited data. He told me there was no way he could do that. I then said I wanted to leave the store with the phone and activate it myself online, and he told me I couldn't leave the store with the phone I purchased unless activated tiered data on my unlimited line (because I transferred the upgrade from my unlimited line). He said even if I just activated the phone on my 2GB line, I would be renewing the contract on my unlimited line which would make it lose unlimited data.

The guy was really nice about it, but basically told me there was no way he could possibly do it in the store. Since he wouldn't let me take the phone home, I completely cancelled the order and walked out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Just order online and have it shipped to your house.

Honestly, it probably would have worked in store, but since you mentioned unlimited, many csr will deny you regardless of whether or not it would work

BenjiMaxwell1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Just order online and have it shipped to your house.

Honestly, it probably would have worked in store, but since you mentioned unlimited, many csr will deny you regardless of whether or not it would work

I wonder if I can pick up in store and have them activate it on the dumbphone line then go home and call to have the phone switch to the unlimited line?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude