[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

oh. they are different SIM card sizes (micro vs nano). this certainly screws things up.

Nah, if the sim card locks just have Verizon wipe it. It's really not a big deal. They can do it thru the customer service chat online.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

mrpurpledino

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I am just making sure I do this right since I am trying to get a new phone tomorrow.

1. We have a family plan with 2 basic phones and 1 smart phone with unlimited data. The 2 basic phones have upgrades.
2. I use an upgrade on the basic phone. I activate the phone on that account.
3. I then switch the recently upgraded line back to the basic phone, and I activate the smartphone on the unlimited data account

If this scenario IS correct I do have a few questions:
1.) Do I need to get the tiered data plan? Will the share everything plan completely remove the chance to get my unlimited data back?
2.) What about the differences between the sim card slots? Can I just go buy a new sim card?

Thanks

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

oh. they are different SIM card sizes (micro vs nano). this certainly screws things up.

The Verizon G2 has a micro SIM just like the GNex. I just put my GNex SIM into the G2 when I got it yesterday. I didn't have them activate it in the store.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I am just making sure I do this right since I am trying to get a new phone tomorrow.

1. We have a family plan with 2 basic phones and 1 smart phone with unlimited data. The 2 basic phones have upgrades.
2. I use an upgrade on the basic phone. I activate the phone on that account.
3. I then switch the recently upgraded line back to the basic phone, and I activate the smartphone on the unlimited data account

If this scenario IS correct I do have a few questions:
1.) Do I need to get the tiered data plan? Will the share everything plan completely remove the chance to get my unlimited data back?
2.) What about the differences between the sim card slots? Can I just go buy a new sim card?

Thanks

1) If you do it as you described then you will add the tiered data to the dumb phone line for about 30 mins. Then you'll remove it when you reactivate the dumb phone. It will not affect your unlimited data at all.

2) If the sim cards are different, after the phone is freed up you can swap in your old sim card, get a new one from Verizon or have CS wipe it for you...if it doesn't let you activate it online that is.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Oh nice. I just did a quick Google search on the SIM card size, so that's why I thought nano. i had read the Verizon variant is different than stock variant and i guess this is one of the differences.

I'm still undecided on Moto X vs G2 but this may push the G2 ahead.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Oh nice. I just did a quick Google search on the SIM card size, so that's why I thought nano.

I'm still undecided on Moto X vs G2 but this may push the G2 ahead.

Spent hours setting up my G2 yesterday and been playing with it all day today (including about 70 pictures) inside and outside and I freaking love it! If your thinking Motor X because of its close to stock don't let the LG UI keep you from the G2. I came from the GNex also and really besides the looks I have had no problem using our finding stuff with this UI.

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

All other lines on my account are in another state ~300 miles away each with 2 gb data mine with unlimited. Can I just do all of the switching of phones online? I guess it would go something like this...

1. Transfer upgrade to line with 2 gb
2. Get phone mailed to me with new SIM card
3. Activate phone online to the 2gb line
4. Switch back to the original phone that was on the 2 gb line with old SIM card?
5. Activate new phone on unlimited data line

Will this work or do I have to physically have the other line I am transferring upgrade to in hand?

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Spent hours setting up my G2 yesterday and been playing with it all day today (including about 70 pictures) inside and outside and I freaking love it! If your thinking Motor X because of its close to stock don't let the LG UI keep you from the G2. I came from the GNex also and really besides the looks I have had no problem using our finding stuff with this UI.

nice. i think i'm gonna take the plunge tomorrow, especially with the $60 discount from the code. to cover my bases, i won't have the phone activated in the store (so the rep doesn't "accidentally" use the Alternate Upgrade method described above).

is there a wait time before my brother can reactivate his old phone and give me the new G2? or can he activate G2 > activate old phone > me activate G2 in like the 10 minutes that would take?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

All other lines on my account are in another state ~300 miles away each with 2 gb data mine with unlimited. Can I just do all of the switching of phones online? I guess it would go something like this...

1. Transfer upgrade to line with 2 gb
2. Get phone mailed to me with new SIM card
3. Activate phone online to the 2gb line
4. Switch back to the original phone that was on the 2 gb line with old SIM card?
5. Activate new phone on unlimited data line

Will this work or do I have to physically have the other line I am transferring upgrade to in hand?

Yes that should work as you say. Only suggestion is to write down the MEID of the phone with 2 gb so when you put it back on the secondary line you can identify it when you reactivate it back on the line. Even when you select to activate line previously on account there can be multiple phones such as from warranty replacements or if you've had several phones on the account that are the same model. Good to have the MEID so you can select the correct phone.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

nice. i think i'm gonna take the plunge tomorrow, especially with the $60 discount from the code. to cover my bases, i won't have the phone activated in the store (so the rep doesn't "accidentally" use the Alternate Upgrade method described above).

is there a wait time before my brother can reactivate his old phone and give me the new G2? or can he activate G2 > activate old phone > me activate G2 in like the 10 minutes that would take?

Ok here is what I did. I used my stepson's upgrade. Ordered the G2 online to pick up on the store. When I got to the store I told the guy I was in a hurry I could activate it myself. He said fine and didn't try to stop me at all.

I got home and opened the SIM tray before I turned on the phone and it says a micro SIM. So took the SIM out of my GNex and put it in the G2. Turned on the phone or in my Google account and bingo the phone was working and on my unlimited number.

Got online to make sure it still shows unlimited and it did, but one problem. I put the new SIM in my GNex when I was doing everything else and now my stepson's line was activated on my GNex LOL.

So I went to change it back to his iPhone (I know) and it said I couldn't because a new device for that line had not been activated yet. At this point I thought oh no.

So I called Verizon told the lady I was trying to put my son's iPhone back on his account, DID NOT GIVE HER ANY OTHER INFO! She got the number from me, asked me for the info off his phone, gave it to her and within minutes his was back up and running.

Checked to make sure mine was still unlimited after that and yes.

So I'm thinking if you can get the phone unactivated from Verizon just put in your SIM from the GNex before you ever turn it on and you are golden. Just don't put the new SIM from the G2 in your GNex! If you want another SIM for you GNex hey another new later from Verizon.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Ok here is what I did. I used my stepson's upgrade. Ordered the G2 online to pick up on the store. When I got to the store I told the guy I was in a hurry I could activate it myself. He said fine and didn't try to stop me at all.

I got home and opened the SIM tray before I turned on the phone and it says a micro SIM. So took the SIM out of my GNex and put it in the G2. Turned on the phone or in my Google account and bingo the phone was working and on my unlimited number.

Got online to make sure it still shows unlimited and it did, but one problem. I put the new SIM in my GNex when I was doing everything else and now my stepson's line was activated on my GNex LOL.

So I went to change it back to his iPhone (I know) and it said I couldn't because a new device for that line had not been activated yet. At this point I thought oh no.

So I called Verizon told the lady I was trying to put my son's iPhone back on his account, DID NOT GIVE HER ANY OTHER INFO! She got the number from me, asked me for the info off his phone, gave it to her and within minutes his was back up and running.

Checked to make sure mine was still unlimited after that and yes.

So I'm thinking if you can get the phone unactivated from Verizon just put in your SIM from the GNex before you ever turn it on and you are golden. Just don't put the new SIM from the G2 in your GNex! If you want another SIM for you GNex hey another new later from Verizon.

Yes, this is what I suspected different than the method described by OP Post #1. When the upgrade available is on the non-unlimited data line you can just get it and activate it on the unlimited line, saving that step and also avoid the sim tied up problem. It is only when transferring the upgrade from an unlimited line to a tiered data line does the phone have to be activated on the tiered data line first, taken off and then put back on the unlimited line that the upgrade first originated on.

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Yes, this is what I suspected different than the method described by OP Post #1. When the upgrade available is on the non-unlimited data line you can just get it and activate it on the unlimited line, saving that step and also avoid the sim tied up problem. It is only when transferring the upgrade from an unlimited line to a tiered data line does the phone have to be activated on the tiered data line first, taken off and then put back on the unlimited line that the upgrade first originated on.

ah. that doesn't do me apply to me though because i am transferring an upgrade from my unlimited to my brother's tiered. so in that case, is there a wait time between activation on tiered line > deactivate > activation on unlimited line

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

ah. that doesn't do me apply to me though because i am transferring an upgrade from my unlimited to my brother's tiered. so in that case, is there a wait time between activation on tiered line > deactivate > activation on unlimited line

No, don't have to wait, just make sure you refresh the screen and confirm that it says the new phone is active and on there before putting the original back on.

ElBolo

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Does this work for unlimited data Nationwide talk & text individual lines too? I have an available upgrade and want to get an iPhone 5s next week, but I want to keep my unlimited data and can't use the upgrade. It looks like Apple won't allow to buy it off contract at release day. Could i:

1)Add a second line and get a subsidized price iPhone 5s with a tiered data plan.
2)After activating the iPhone 5s, get a "dumb phone" and activate that instead to this line to drop the data plan and therefore lowering the cost to $10 + taxes a month, even if I have to keep this line active for 24 months.
3)Activate the new iPhone 5s into my unlimited data line.
4)Transfer my unlimited data line upgrade to the new line with an activate dumb phone and use it at a later time to get another smartphone?
Is this possible? Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Does this work for unlimited data Nationwide talk & text individual lines too? I have an available upgrade and want to get an iPhone 5s next week, but I want to keep my unlimited data and can't use the upgrade. It looks like Apple won't allow to buy it off contract at release day. Could i:

1)Add a second line and get a subsidized price iPhone 5s with a tiered data plan.
2)After activating the iPhone 5s, get a "dumb phone" and activate that instead to this line to drop the data plan and therefore lowering the cost to $10 + taxes a month, even if I have to keep this line active for 24 months.
3)Activate the new iPhone 5s into my unlimited data line.
4)Transfer my unlimited data line upgrade to the new line with an activate dumb phone and use it at a later time to get another smartphone?
Is this possible? Thanks!

Those all should work, yes.

toastayy

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I have the same plan you do and when I try to add a second line and phone I get the unlimited is no longer available statement and they try to get me to buy a share everything plan. If this was works for you let me know how.

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2.

ElBolo

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I have the same plan you do and when I try to add a second line and phone I get the unlimited is no longer available statement and they try to get me to buy a share everything plan. If this was works for you let me know how.

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2.

I tried adding a line on Verizon's website and I get the unlimited is not available, but when I try buying a device from Apple's website it gives me the option to add a line and to select a 450min plus a choice of data plan, I wonder if by doing that it automatically would change both lines to share everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

so i got my G2 today....but it refuses to activate. my brother picked it up in stores and didn't activate it...but it just will not activate here. at first, it kept failing and telling me to restart. but now it is just hanging on the activation screen...going on 10 minutes now with nothing. is this normal?

djdonnyk

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

To avoid all the data restrictions just switch to Sprint if coverage is good where you live. Unlimited for life!

Sent from a device beyond your wildest dreams!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams