[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So I think I'm still confused. So I go to vzw website and click add a line. I add an unsubsidized phone let's say moto x. They then take me to a page telling me unlimited data is no longer available and asks me to pick from overpriced data plans. Are these data plans for both phone or only one? I was under the impression it was for both the original and new phone I chose and therefore they would remove the unlimited from the way plan.

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2.

It'd defaulting to setting up a share everything plan. You may need to talk to someone to convert to a nation wide family plan.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

So I think I'm still confused. So I go to vzw website and click add a line. I add an unsubsidized phone let's say moto x. They then take me to a page telling me unlimited data is no longer available and asks me to pick from overpriced data plans. Are these data plans for both phone or only one? I was under the impression it was for both the original and new phone I chose and therefore they would remove the unlimited from the way plan.

If your going to go the full priced unsubsidized route to keep your unlimited you don't need to start a new line. Just upgrade the line and select the non-contact price. Some Verizon windows I've seen say to select a new data plan but if you look closely at the selections you old unlimited plan is still listed.

Posted via Android Central App

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but.... Do I have to have the basic phone on hand in order to do the switch?

I was going to order the LG G2 tonight (for store pickup tomorrow) for upgrade to one of my basic lines. But I won't have eiither of the available basic phones in hand tomorrow so #1 - when I activate the G2 on their line, they will temporarily be unable to use their phone? and #2 - when I go to re-activate their phone on their line and move the G2 to my unlimited line, do I have to have their phone in hand to reactivate it?

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but.... Do I have to have the basic phone on hand in order to do the switch?

I was going to order the LG G2 tonight (for store pickup tomorrow) for upgrade to one of my basic lines. But I won't have eiither of the available basic phones in hand tomorrow so #1 - when I activate the G2 on their line, they will temporarily be unable to use their phone? and #2 - when I go to re-activate their phone on their line and move the G2 to my unlimited line, do I have to have their phone in hand to reactivate it?

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks!

In most cases you can reactivate it on line, it'll have an option for devices previously used on that account and you should see it. If possible, try to record the numbers associated with it to avoid confusion, but it's pretty straightforward when you're in there.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

And if I want to go unsubsidized?

If you are just going un-subsidized and pay full price you can just walk into a Verizon store, say you want to pay the un-subsidized price and preserve your unlimited data. They will charge you the full amount, activate your phone and you're good to go. I see though if you want to do it online, if you have an unlimited data with an available upgrade they don't display any off contract price, only w/2 yr contract , or $0 down on Verizon Edge. (Another attempt by Verizon to trick people out of there unlimited data). Looks like you'd either have to call them to order it or go into the store. Be prepared for them trying to convince you to go with a tiered data plan to "save money". Even if you don't exceed data caps now, as technology evolves you will likely in the future. That is why Verizon is trying so hard to get everyone off unlimited data.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks!

In most cases you can reactivate it on line, it'll have an option for devices previously used on that account and you should see it. If possible, try to record the numbers associated with it to avoid
confusion, but it's pretty straightforward when you're in there.

Yes, above is all correct. But after you put the basic phone back on the original line online with the MEID you may need to have them type *228 to reactivate the phone. Also have the new phone turned off when you put their phone back on their line.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

And if I want to go unsubsidized?

I looked at it some more. Looks like if you want to pay the full un-subsidized price you select upgrade your device, It will show a selections of phones to upgrade with but only show w/2-year contract and Edge pricing. Click the name of the phone and it will bring up another page with just that phone on it. Here you will see 3 choices: 2-year contract / $0 down Verizon Edge / Month to Month. Select the full price Month to Month price and proceed. You will be able to keep your unlimited data.

mrpurpledino

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if this is happening/happened to anyone else but today I just:

1.) Purchased an LG G2 online on a basic phone line to pickup in store. The code Verizon30 saved me $60
2.) The phone was activated in store, and I had to dial the *228 number in order for the phone to actually work.
3.) I log on to my account to the basic phone back to the basic line, but I get an error message stating the MDN has not been activated

Did I mess up?

toastayy

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I looked at it some more. Looks like if you want to pay the full un-subsidized price you select upgrade your device, It will show a selections of phones to upgrade with but only show w/2-year contract and Edge pricing. Click the name of the phone and it will bring up another page with just that phone on it. Here you will see 3 choices: 2-year contract / $0 down Verizon Edge / Month to Month. Select the full price Month to Month price and proceed. You will be able to keep your unlimited data.

Thanks for the clarification DSS. One more and I think I'll make a decision. What if I want to pay the subsidized price?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the clarification DSS. One more and I think I'll make a decision. What if I want to pay the subsidized price?

If you have a second line on the account without grandfathered unlimited data you transfer the upgrade to that phone, get the phone, activate on that second line, then take it off that line and put it on your unlimited line. If you don't have a second line to do this with you can start a new line and get a subsidized phone with that new line, activate it, take it off and put it on your unlimited line. But you will then have a new contract for that new line that you will be making payments on for 2 years.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

OK, my next stupid question. Activated the new phone on daughter's line. I used her existing Sim. Worked. Showed the new phone on Verizon's web page as her phone. Turned off new phone. Put Sim back in her old phone. Verizon website shows her old phone again. Here's the question.
Is there a certain amount of time I need to wait before activating new phone on my line?
How do I go about doing that?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

OK, my next stupid question. Activated the new phone on daughter's line. I used her existing Sim. Worked. Showed the new phone on Verizon's web page as her phone. Turned off new phone. Put Sim back in her old phone. Verizon website shows her old phone again. Here's the question.
Is there a certain amount of time I need to wait before activating new phone on my line?
How do I go about doing that?

Not really, 5-10 minutes should be good. Turn her old device off, wait a few minutes put the SIM in the new one, reboot it. That should be it.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Will there be any issues since I used her old Sim and not the new one? I can't do the switch Sim trick with my line since my Sim isn't compatible.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I know places like amazon wirefly target etc have rules in place to keep people from purchasing phones that either dropping the data plan or changing phones on lines right away. Does anyone know if Apple has the same rules in place ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I decided to wait until this morning to activate the new phone. went through without any issues. Worked great.

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Yes, above is all correct. But after you put the basic phone back on the original line online with the MEID you may need to have them type *228 to reactivate the phone. Also have the new phone turned off when you put their phone back on their line.

And what if there are problems with the new phone after I switch it to the unlimited line? Will I have any issues because its not on the line I upgraded it on?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Experience with this has been variable but easy to overcome. Some have reported no problem activating the phone on unlimited line, some report that the sim is still attached to the dumb phone line and waiting anywhere from 5 min to 24 hrs allows it to unattach from the dumb phone line. If you have a problem activating it on your unlimited line you can (if it is compatible) either:
1) take your sim from your receiving unlimited line and put it in your new phone
2) get a new sim that you may have laying around and put it in there (I had one that came with another warranty phone that I never used)
3) call Verizon telephone support and tell them to disassociate the sim from the dumb phone account
4) go to Verizon store and have them disassociate the sim from the dumb phone account or give you a new sim

Also if after you activate the smartphone on the dumb phone line if you happen to actually associate it with your gmail account you need to do a factory reset to wipe the data before you can activate it again with a gmail account on the new line.

And what if there are problems with the new phone after I switch it to the unlimited line? Will I have any issues because its not on the line I upgraded it on?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

See my above prior post

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I know places like amazon wirefly target etc have rules in place to keep people from purchasing phones that either dropping the data plan or changing phones on lines right away. Does anyone know if Apple has the same rules in place ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know ? Thanks !

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Again does anyone know if the lg dare counts as a dumb phone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance