[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

anon(344812)

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Since all 3 phones are eligible you can not transfer a upgrade. Just upgrade one of the phones that is not unlimited, activate it on that line. Did activate old phone back on that line and new phone to unlimited.

Tapatalk mofo
Thanks for the reply. Since I'm planning on using my dumphone's upgrade and I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 5S which uses a nano-SIM, how complicated is this process? I'm assuming Verizon's online checkout will think I'm intending to give my dumphone line a data plan (because I'll be purchasing the iPhone), so what's the most efficient way of handling this so I can keep all my plans as is without risking my unlimited or raising my bill?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm planning on using my dumphone's upgrade and I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 5S which uses a nano-SIM, how complicated is this process? I'm assuming Verizon's online checkout will think I'm intending to give my dumphone line a data plan (because I'll be purchasing the iPhone), so what's the most efficient way of handling this so I can keep all my plans as is without risking my unlimited or raising my bill?

Add the cheapest data plan, you have to. Once you put the dumb phone back on the line it will go away. You may get charged a private rated price of a dollar or something like that.

Tapatalk mofo

anon(344812)

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Add the cheapest data plan, you have to. Once you put the dumb phone back on the line it will go away. You may get charged a private rated price of a dollar or something like that.

Tapatalk mofo
Ok, so just to clear on everything; order online using dumphone upgrade and choose the cheapest data plan. When iPhone 5S arrives, activate it using the dumbphone line. Then go on Verizon's website, switch line back to original dumbphone, and change unlimited line to the iPhone 5S? I can do all this immediately, no need to wait for their systems to update information and whatnot?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Ok, so just to clear on everything; order online using dumphone upgrade and choose the cheapest data plan. When iPhone 5S arrives, activate it using the dumbphone line. Then go on Verizon's website, switch line back to original dumbphone, and change unlimited line to the iPhone 5S? I can do all this immediately, no need to wait for their systems to update information and whatnot?

That should be 100% correct!

Tapatalk mofo

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

There is still the issue of the nano sim when you put the iPhone back on the unlimited line. I think you have to get a new one as you won't be able to use the one that came with the iPhone.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I've been looking around on some more info regarding the 'transfer upgrade from' feature to an unlimited line, but haven't found solid word. I've got three devices

(1) Dumbphone - Eligible for upgrade
(1) Smartphone (4GB plan) - Eligible for upgrade
(1) Smartphone (Unlimited) - Eligible for upgrade

I was going through the process of using my dumbphone upgrade to go on my unlimited line, but when it came to choosing plans, I get a notice saying my unlimited plan was no longer available and I had to choose one of their newer plans. Am I missing something here? I thought this was supposed to be a very simple process, but it doesn't look like I can keep my contract as is, even if I'm using another line's upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You want just order the phone you want using the upgrade on the dumb-phone line. Activate 2GB of data. When you get the Phone activate it on the dumb-phone line. Then swap it to the line you want. Put the dumb phone back on that line and cancel the data. Don't upgrade when on your unlimited line. You will lose unlimited.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

anon(344812)

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

There is still the issue of the nano sim when you put the iPhone back on the unlimited line. I think you have to get a new one as you won't be able to use the one that came with the iPhone.
Would I just go to a Verizon retail store for that? Is it free?

You want just order the phone you want using the upgrade on the dumb-phone line. Activate 2GB of data. When you get the Phone activate it on the dumb-phone line. Then swap it to the line you want. Put the dumb phone back on that line and cancel the data. Don't upgrade when on your unlimited line. You will lose unlimited.

Yeah, that's what the other poster said. Thanks. Hopefully it's an easy process online with swapping lines. I've never done it before so I don't want to mess things up and accidentally screw my unlimited line up.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Would I just go to a Verizon retail store for that? Is it free?

Yeah, that's what the other poster said. Thanks. Hopefully it's an easy process online with swapping lines. I've never done it before so I don't want to mess things up and accidentally screw my unlimited line up.

You don't need a new SIM, I did the same thing earlier this year to get my wife a iPhone 5. Didn't need a new SIM.

Tapatalk mofo

vegeto626

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Yes. It says that under plane features. So 2gb reflected the tiered data line (line 2) I added data to. And my number listed in email confirmation (unlimited line) was in email. So the plan features reflect the transferred upgraded line. I think I got it.

One past thing. I log into verizon and my unlimited line says (upgrade in process) and I cannot change the features unless I call customer service. So that's normal?

I also got this after I transferred my upgrade from an unlimited line to a dumb phone line. I took a screen shot from my confirmation page that DEFINITELY indicates that I ordered it for the dumb phone line. My email specifically indicates that the new iPhone 5s is for the unlimited line, with the features listed as 2GB data plan for this line. So I am a little concerned. When the new phone comes will it definitely have an indicator of which phone number the phone will activate on? If it comes for the wrong number (unlimited), we might be able to just call Verizon to make sure the SIM card number is tied to the correct line. Is this required?

Can anyone tell us when the phone arrives which phone number is explicitly designated for activation? When activating, do we need prepare this online by inputting the SIM or can we just turn it on in this situation?

Thanks!

altjeff

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

OK, did the transfer upgrade online and my 5S is coming on wednesday. I'm going to update it on my dads 2GB line and then transfer it to me unlimited. Can anyone help me with this?

1) How long do I have to keep the new phone on the 2GB line?
2) After I deactivate it from the 2GB line, how long should i wait to activate it on the unlimited?
3) Should I do this process during business hours (9-5) or does it not matter since its all done online?

boblittle

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

just had success in this scenario:

unlimited 3g line with upgrade
other line with 2GB 3g plan

- Transferred upgrade to 2GB line
- Received email confirmation with unlimited line phone number (don't worry)
- Received shipping confirmation with correct, 2GB line phone number
- Received phone and activated on 2GB Line (via automated phone activation system)
- Switched device on 2GB line back to old device
- Was told plan was not compatible, had to select 2GB plan again (because 4g --> 3g)
- Switched device on Unlimited line to new phone ( ~2 hours later )
- Was told plan was not compatible (3g -> 4g), first choice of plan was Unlimited :)
- Phone didn't work right away, said number invalid when attempting to place a call, left it alone for 10 minutes and it started working

kunwpak

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

So I just ordered the G2 using my mom's upgrade eligibility (2GB/mo) and plan on activating it for my brother on his unlimited line.

From what I understand, if he has a different size SIM card then all I would need to do is walk in to a Verizon store to request a new micro SIM for him and once I get it just place it into the G2 and he should be good to go correct? (Assuming the G2 has been freed up already by activating on my mom's line then deactivating it)

Also, just to confirm, as long as the SIM card sizes match up I can just put a SIM from an unlimited line directly into a "freed up" subsidized phone right?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So I just ordered the G2 using my mom's upgrade eligibility (2GB/mo) and plan on activating it for my brother on his unlimited line.

From what I understand, if he has a different size SIM card then all I would need to do is walk in to a Verizon store to request a new micro SIM for him and once I get it just place it into the G2 and he should be good to go correct? (Assuming the G2 has been freed up already by activating on my mom's line then deactivating it)

Also, just to confirm, as long as the SIM card sizes match up I can just put a SIM from an unlimited line directly into a "freed up" subsidized phone right?

It should come with one, but yeah if it doesn't you can go to a store or call them to request that they send you one.

kunwpak

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

It should come with one, but yeah if it doesn't you can go to a store or call them to request that they send you one.

What about if my current phone (w/unlimited data) and the phone I'm upgrading to (transferring upgrade->activating->deactivating->activating on unlimited line) have the same size SIM card?

Do I need to do anything special to activate the new phone on my unlimited line or can I just take the SIM out of my current phone and transfer it to the new phone and it should work fine?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

What about if my current phone (w/unlimited data) and the phone I'm upgrading to (transferring upgrade->activating->deactivating->activating on unlimited line) have the same size SIM card?

Do I need to do anything special to activate the new phone on my unlimited line or can I just take the SIM out of my current phone and transfer it to the new phone and it should work fine?

Just swap the SIM. Just make sure it was activated on the other line first.

altjeff

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

So I just got my phone delivered in the mail now. I have 2 questions.

1) I'm updating it on my dad's line first (2GB of 3G) then reactivating his old phone. Will his phone be affected at all when he turns it back on? Will it mess with his contacts, email...?

2) Is it better to do the activations online through MyVerizon or to call the 877 number in the Setup guide?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So I just got my phone delivered in the mail now. I have 2 questions.

1) I'm updating it on my dad's line first (2GB of 3G) then reactivating his old phone. Will his phone be affected at all when he turns it back on? Will it mess with his contacts, email...?

2) Is it better to do the activations online through MyVerizon or to call the 877 number in the Setup guide?

1. Both should remain unaffected.
2. I prefer to do the process online.

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm still confused on the SIM card. I have an upgrade available on my dumbphone line so I am using that upgradr to order my new smartphone for my unlimited line. From looking on line, my new phone will have a different size SIM card so I cant just take my current SIM and put it in the new phone. So I am figuring that I will have to actually activate the new phone on the dumbphone line (since the SIM will be attached to that number) and then deactivate and move it to my unlimited line? When I move it to my unlimited line online, does that automatically update/reset the SIM card?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm still confused on the SIM card. I have an upgrade available on my dumbphone line so I am using that upgradr to order my new smartphone for my unlimited line. From looking on line, my new phone will have a different size SIM card so I cant just take my current SIM and put it in the new phone. So I am figuring that I will have to actually activate the new phone on the dumbphone line (since the SIM will be attached to that number) and then deactivate and move it to my unlimited line? When I move it to my unlimited line online, does that automatically update/reset the SIM card?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

When you go to activate it on the unlimited line there will be a place for you to input the SIM card number.