[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

yaerinie

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

As most of the posters here seem to, I also think that I have a good feel for what I need to do to keep my unlimited plan, but as I am still a bit paranoid, I'm posting my line situation here. If anyone can confirm that what I did was right, that would be great!
So I have 5 lines on my family plan, and everyone is on a 2gb tiered plan except me. I am the only unlimited plan. I am also the only one with an upgrade. So what I did was transfer my upgrade to my mother's 2gb line, purchased the Note 3 via her line. All confirmation pages/emails state that phone was purchased on mother's line. Now my question is, when I receive the phone, I'm supposed to activate the Note 3 on to my mother's line first right? Then reactivate her phone, and then the Note 3 is free for me to activate on my line right? But my question is, how do I activate my mother's iPhone after activating the Note 3 on her line? I'm confused because iPhones don't have SIMS. I'm also a bit confused because I chatted with a Verizon Rep who told me that as long as I purchase the phone on my mother's line, I can simply activate the Note 3 onto my line without first activating in on my mother's line. She stated that I would not lose my unlimited data even if I just directly activated the Note onto my unlimited plan.

Can someone please clarify:
a) Is the rep right in saying I don't need to activate on my mother's line first?
and if not, b) how do I activate an iPhone again after first activating the Note 3 for my mother? (I live across the country from my mom so I'm hoping I can do all this online.)

Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help me out!

Sorry to pester, but my phone is coming in soon so I'd just like to be sure. Does anyone have any input or insights?

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

You need to read the preceding posts that I was responding to. I was upgrading my 2nd Dummy line (or rather pretending to before )...

Okay, understood now. You were proving that it would not impact the unlimited lines by upgrading the dumb phone.

I plan to do this alternate upgrade myself soon as well since we have a line that is currently a dumb phone. Then I plan to upgrade it to a smartphone after I'm done.

I have two other unlimited lines on our plan other than mine, so when they are eligible to upgrade, we'll continue to milk the current dumb phone line for alternate upgrading for as long as VZW allows it.

I'll have to read back through the thread and see if there is any mention about the $20 data discount remaining intact after an alternate upgrade. All three of our unlimited data lines currently have this discount applied to them. I assume it will stay on.

Thanks to you and all who continue to contribute to this thread!

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I know it has been covered, but I want to be absolutely sure that there's a consensus. Which sellers don't charge a secondary ETF for transferring a phone to another line after it had been activated?

Verizon?
Best Buy?
Costco?
Anyone else?

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I know it has been covered, but I want to be absolutely sure that there's a consensus. Which sellers don't charge a secondary ETF for transferring a phone to another line after it had been activated?

Verizon?
Best Buy?
Costco?
Anyone else?

No one else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to pester, but my phone is coming in soon so I'd just like to be sure. Does anyone have any input or insights?

Everything you wrote is pretty much on the money. However, I would still activate the Note 3 on your mother's line first. THEN bring the iPhone back (which can be done over the phone with Verizon.) Once that's done, you just do a device swap with the Note 3.

Best of luck.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

But on that same thread this poster said they even transferred the upgrade and just activated it on their unlimited line:

T4rd CaptainDisillusion • 3 days ago −
I don't think you had to activate the new phone on her line in the first place.
I just did the same thing (transferred my lines upgrade to my mom's line that has a 2GB plan) and when I got the phone, I simply swapped SIM cards from my old phone to the new one and was good to go. Never had to mess with her line at all other than transferring the upgrade to it.
2 •Reply•Share ›

And here is another poster saying same thing:
IBT • 3 days ago −
I just did this by way of upgrading another line on my account from the web. When the new phone arrives, simply power down YOUR phone, remove SIM, place in newly arrived phone and you're done. You activate and assume the new phone, the phone you used to upgrade with reverts to its original state. Any data plan you chose will automatically fall off if its a dumbphone. Easy, no contacting of Verizon required.​

Also found an interesting post from a Verizon Rep probably why when you go into the store some will lie to you. They don't want to waste their time because they don't get a commission when you upgrade using this method:
gmx • 2 days ago −
I just have one request in regards to this article as a vzw employee please don't go into the store and ask a rep to do this for you. We do not get paid on alternate upgrades therefore you are wasting our time helping you to game the system. Do this online yourself if it is that important to you. You can come in after to switch the phones around just don't do the upgrade in store. Also check your usage on vzw.com before you get all I NEED MY UNLIMITED DATA!!! I see if everyday people say that and I look at their usage and they use like 200MB/Mo. Also if you use unlimited data you are prob a techie and should be able to figure this out yourself. If you couldn't you prob don't need unlimited data.​

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/17/keep-unlimited-data-verizon-upgrade/

The most accepted method is to activate the new and then take it off. But there are others, see the link above that say it isn't necessary to do that first that you just have transfer the upgrade and order it on another line but once you receive it you can just directly activate it on the unlimited line. Most I think are more confident of the first method and more comfortable doing it that way than to do the shorter method and risk their unlimited data but there are those that say it isn't necessary.

yaerinie

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

The most accepted method is to activate the new and then take it off. But there are others, see the link above that say it isn't necessary to do that first that you just have transfer the upgrade and order it on another line but once you receive it you can just directly activate it on the unlimited line. Most I think are more confident of the first method and more comfortable doing it that way than to do the shorter method and risk their unlimited data but there are those that say it isn't necessary.

Wow, thanks a million for those posts above! So very helpful!!!! :)

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I am definitely one of those people who are comfortable doing the first method. I do find it plausible that the shorter method might work, but when you have a wheel that is rolling and working, why reinvent it into a square and have it not roll and work?

Go with what works and don't deal with the shortcuts that are not guaranteed; use the first method.

yaerinie

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

I am definitely one of those people who are comfortable doing the first method. I do find it plausible that the shorter method might work, but when you have a wheel that is rolling and working, why reinvent it into a square and have it not roll and work?

Go with what works and don't deal with the shortcuts that are not guaranteed; use the first method.

I definitely agree.

Quick question: Can I reactivate my mother's iphone 4 via the verizon website? Since I won't be able to be with my mother, who is technologically inept, I'd like to be able to do this for her with as little of her involvement as possible. She is across the country from me.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Quick question. I have 2 unlimited data lines and a dumb, upgrade line. I want to use Line B's upgrade for Line A. Unlimited Line B has an upgrade available. I transfer ed the upgrade to the dumb line. I now got the Note 3 but it is failing to activate on the dumb line. Do I need to get it activated on the dumb line before I use is my line, A?

The phone on the dumb line is currently off.

I did the online chat thing and activated it on my line without a problem. Unlimited data appears intact on both lines.

Last edited:

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I definitely agree.

Quick question: Can I reactivate my mother's iphone 4 via the verizon website? Since I won't be able to be with my mother, who is technologically inept, I'd like to be able to do this for her with as little of her involvement as possible. She is across the country from me.

When you place the iPhone back, you should be able to choose a previously used device. In which case, choose the iPhone. It will be there under switch and activate a device or whatever the exact phrase was (I mentioned it earlier a few posts back.)

yaerinie

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

When you place the iPhone back, you should be able to choose a previously used device. In which case, choose the iPhone. It will be there under switch and activate a device or whatever the exact phrase was (I mentioned it earlier a few posts back.)

Worked like a charm!!! Thanks guys for all your help!!!

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

It worked, thanks much for the info. It made me switch my sim card from my old phone to the new Note. I have a quick dummy question. If I wanted to sell my old Galaxy Nexus, what do I need to do? I assume factory reset, but what do I do about the sim card? When people sell a phone on ebay, you just sell it without a sim card? (Again, dummy question, I don't know squat about sim cards)

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

It worked, thanks much for the info. It made me switch my sim card from my old phone to the new Note. I have a quick dummy question. If I wanted to sell my old Galaxy Nexus, what do I need to do? I assume factory reset, but what do I do about the sim card? When people sell a phone on ebay, you just sell it without a sim card? (Again, dummy question, I don't know squat about sim cards)

I never sell a phone with a SIM or SD card (you can get an SD card for cheap, so I dont bother.) When you sell a phone without a SIM card, as long as the ESN is clean, then they can get a brand new card at a corporate Verizon store for free, as long they bring the phone with them.

In short, you keep your SIM, and just put it away for yourself to reprogram later, if you need to.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Worked like a charm!!! Thanks guys for all your help!!!

It worked, thanks much for the info. It made me switch my sim card from my old phone to the new Note.

Pay it forward and help others who will ask questions that a previous post would have answered in this thread. :D That would be the best thanks you can give. That's what I did with you folks, and others.

Alternate Upgrade works! I am trying to figure out what to do with my remaining four upgrades. Wife is happy with her brand new S3 and I'm happy with my Note 3.

ds727

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

After successfully upgrading three unlimted data lines -- with $20/line discount as well :) -- using the wonderful method described in this thread, I am running into a hitch on the 4th (and final) upgrade. The first three were all Android phones, but my oldest son 'has' to have an Iphone 5s. I transferred the upgrade to the dumb line and started the order process...Verizon's webpage format for the Iphone order process looks much different than the previous 3 Androids, but the line's number I'm trying to upgrade appears at the top left of each successive page, right through the final 'submit order' confirmation page as well.

The problem is the Verizon confirmation email states that I'm upgrading the actual 'intended' line; not the dumb line that I'm putting the order in on! Obviously, this doesn't look good (very concerned about it messing up the current deal!) and upon noticing it very early Monday morning I promptly cancelled the order; thinking I must have farked something up along the way. I just went through the steps again and the exact same issue has occurred.

I initiated a chat asking why the line I'm trying to upgrade is not shown in the email confirmation -- as it was for the 3 previous phones -- I was informed I can activate the phone on any line I wish, but am quite concerned that the Unlimited data will get jacked and am seriously considering killing the order before it ships (again).

Looking for advice as to what others would do here...is VZW attempting to shut the back door? :(

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

After successfully upgrading three unlimted data lines -- with $20/line discount as well :) -- using the wonderful method described in this thread, I am running into a hitch on the 4th (and final) upgrade. The first three were all Android phones, but my oldest son 'has' to have an Iphone 5s. I transferred the upgrade to the dumb line and started the order process...Verizon's webpage format for the Iphone order process looks much different than the previous 3 Androids, but the line's number I'm trying to upgrade appears at the top left of each successive page, right through the final 'submit order' confirmation page as well.

The problem is the Verizon confirmation email states that I'm upgrading the actual 'intended' line; not the dumb line that I'm putting the order in on! Obviously, this doesn't look good (very concerned about it messing up the current deal!) and upon noticing it very early Monday morning I promptly cancelled the order; thinking I must have farked something up along the way. I just went through the steps again and the exact same issue has occurred.

I initiated a chat asking why the line I'm trying to upgrade is not shown in the email confirmation -- as it was for the 3 previous phones -- I was informed I can activate the phone on any line I wish, but am quite concerned that the Unlimited data will get jacked and am seriously considering killing the order before it ships (again).

Looking for advice as to what others would do here...is VZW attempting to shut the back door? :(

That type of email had been reported in this thread multiple times. All you have to do is activate it on the dumb line first just like all the others and you will be fine.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ds727

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

That type of email had been reported in this thread multiple times. All you have to do is activate it on the dumb line first just like all the others and you will be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had done a pretty good job of scouting this thread out, but admittedly didn't go over every single page and don't have all of the issues/concerns memorized.

ds727

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Just went back in this thread and read on the issue (not too far back either :-[ ) and saw a few posts and a link to the same issue reported by multiple people on the Macrumors site as well.

Yes, that's the normal email. Technically the email is correct. It is for the unlimited line because that's where the contract is being extended. However, if you activate it on the basic line first, the contract will be extended on the unlimited line, but you won't lose unlimited data. The phone should ship with a SIM card that will auto-activate on the basic line, but that may be phone specific. If the phone number rubber banded to the box is the basic line, then just turn the phone on.

The thing is, that wasn't the email I received when upgrading the 3 previous lines over the last few months. All 3 line's email order confirmations stated that I was upgrading the dumb line as intended. It does appear that the process will give me the same result, I just wonder why it looks different this time. Perhaps it is Iphone related?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had done a pretty good job of scouting this thread out, but admittedly didn't go over every single page and don't have all of the issues/concerns memorized.

Yeah its very time consuming to go through all of it!