[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Sadly turns out its true, :/ they changed their policy because people were using the loophole. Just letting you guys know this doesn't work anymore :(

I used the loophole less than a week ago. I do not believe your statement to be accurate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

oldhifi

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I just used my wife phone upgrade, she kept the same phone and number, then I sold my IPhone for the price of my new Note 3..simple

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

So my scenario:

2 Smartphone lines:
Line 1, Unlimited data with available upgrade.
Line 2, 2 Gigs data, no available upgrade...

So if I transfer the upgrade from the first line to the second line, then I upgrade the second line...once it is active I can do a sim swap and I'll keep my unlimited data on the first line?

Sorry for asking, but I didn't see this exact scenario in recent replies...

I haven't tried this exact scenario as I always transferred to dumb phone lines. However, I see no issues with what you're wanting to do .... Once you activate and deactivate the new phone on the second line it no longer matters where it gets activated next. So putting the sim card from line one in it then powering the phone back on will work like a charm... Just remember to go online and swap the new device to line one first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Steven Robinson1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Hi

Just want to let everybody know that the "transfer upgrade" technique still works as of 11/24/13. We were on our way to a Costco to try this but we passed by an independent Verizon store (authorized retailer, non-corporate?) so we stopped in.

We've got 2 smart phones and 1 dumb phone. All with upgrades available.

The guy at the independent Verizon Store initiated the conversation with us about upgrading. I told him we would if we could keep unlimited data. He said there's a way around things to keep unlimited. He did all the thinking and work. I've read this thread and other websites about this technique and I still don't understand how it works but it works! We paid $200 for 2 new phones each + $30 each new phone for the upgrade fee.

Thanks guys.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

@steven,

You were able to upgrade and keep unlimited data? Maybe I misread?

I'm currently on the old verizon nationwide talk and text plan, 1400/min w/ unlimited data on 2 smartphones.

Our upgrades have been available for almost a month. Havent used them bc the vzw in-store rep said wed lose our unl data. I don't know what do, our contact is up at the end of Dec. I'd love to stick w/ vzw but I use so much data and the tier plans are insane. I don't have the cash for retail phones or I do that and stay off contact.

Decisions, decisions...advice?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

@steven,

I'm currently on the old verizon nationwide talk and text plan, 1400/min w/ unlimited data on 2 smartphones.

Our upgrades have been available for almost a month. Havent used them bc the vzw in-store rep said wed lose our unl data. I don't know what do, our contact is up at the end of Dec. I'd love to stick w/ vzw but I use so much data and the tier plans are insane. I don't have the cash for retail phones or I do that and stay off contact.

You need a limited line or dumbphone to be able to use the when around. Otherwise you can use one unlimited line first, losing unlimited. But then doing the work around and get a new second phone while keeping unlimited.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

@steven,

You should try reading through this thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

183 pages? Umm no thanks.

There is a lot of help in here and the thread didn't get to 183 pages without anybody helping. His point is if you really want to keep unlimited bad enough you should put some effort into it instead of just asking questions right away. No effort so it really doesn't mean that much to you.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

There is a lot of help in here and the thread didn't get to 183 pages without anybody helping. His point is if you really want to keep unlimited bad enough you should put some effort into it instead of just asking questions right away. No effort so it really doesn't mean that much to you.

Agreed. If you wanna do it right, put a little work in and read.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Steven Robinson1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

@steven,

At least skim through the thread.

Calculate the cost over 2 years. The cost is about the same if you get a 4GB plan or buy new phones off contract and keep your unlimted.

It's my first whole day using my first phone with LTE and I've already used 1 GB. I usually do 2 GB/month with my old 3g iPhone 4. No way would I have got by with a teired plan!

MPKim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Could someone confirm if I've got this down:
  1. My mom's smartphone line has unlimited data and is eligible for an upgrade.
  2. My dad's smartphone line is the only line in the family plan that isn't unlimited.
  3. I'm trying to upgrade my phone, which is also on unlimited data.
  4. So I transfer the upgrade from my mom's line to my dad's.
  5. Buy new phone and activate phone on my dad's line.
  6. Reactivate his old phone.
  7. Activate new phone on my line.

Is this correct?

Also, a relatively dumb question, do contacts get transferred when activating phones? To elaborate, will the new phone I buy have all my dad's contacts on it?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Could someone confirm if I've got this down:
  1. My mom's smartphone line has unlimited data and is eligible for an upgrade.
  2. My dad's smartphone line is the only line in the family plan that isn't unlimited.
  3. I'm trying to upgrade my phone, which is also on unlimited data.
  4. So I transfer the upgrade from my mom's line to my dad's.
  5. Buy new phone and activate phone on my dad's line.
  6. Reactivate his old phone.
  7. Activate new phone on my line.

Is this correct?

Also, a relatively dumb question, do contacts get transferred when activating phones? To elaborate, will the new phone I buy have all my dad's contacts on it?

You can activate the phone without signing into anybodies account I believe. But if you have to sign in you just use your Google account and all your info will be put on the phone.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

At least skim through the thread.

Calculate the cost over 2 years. The cost is about the same if you get a 4GB plan or buy new phones off contract and keep your unlimted.

It's my first whole day using my first phone with LTE and I've already used 1 GB. I usually do 2 GB/month with my old 3g iPhone 4. No way would I have got by with a teired plan!

I did skim through, there are so many responses that it's overwhelming. Everyone has there own unique situation. I have 2 phones on unlimited data with upgrades ready, contract ends next month. From what I've read in this thread, the only way to keep my unl data is through the dumb phone method or to buy 2 new phones at full retail, is that correct? Full retail is out of the question b/c I would be dropping around $1800 on phones. I'm not quite understanding the dumb line method which is my only hope I'm assuming. I'm confused on how adding another line wold allow us to upgrade our 2 phones and keep our unlimited data? I'm paying roughly $175 month now for 1400min/unl data.

Steven Robinson1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I did skim through, there are so many responses that it's overwhelming. Everyone has there own unique situation. I have 2 phones on unlimited data with upgrades ready, contract ends next month. From what I've read in this thread, the only way to keep my unl data is through the dumb phone method or to buy 2 new phones at full retail, is that correct? Full retail is out of the question b/c I would be dropping around $1800 on phones. I'm not quite understanding the dumb line method which is my only hope I'm assuming. I'm confused on how adding another line wold allow us to upgrade our 2 phones and keep our unlimited data? I'm paying roughly $175 month now for 1400min/unl data.

I also still don't understand 100% how or why the dumb phone method works. The guy at the store did everything.

Once the confusing smoke clears, it's just important to make sure that:
1) You'll still have unlimited data on the lines you want.
2) Your bill won't increase (minus the upgrade fees)
3) No early termination fees
4) anything else?

MPKim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

You can activate the phone without signing into anybodies account I believe. But if you have to sign in you just use your Google account and all your info will be put on the phone.

Cool, thanks. Can you tell if I've got everything else down?

cozbyrt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

It is my understanding that Verizon allows a customer to move phones within their own account to a different line. So the idea is you upgrade a dumb line with the phone you want then reactivate the dumb phone and move the new phone to a different line/number within that account. Transfer upgrade to the dumb line and repeat the process. You will still have a contract for two years on the new phones you upgraded but they are now on the phone numbers you wanted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084