[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

a step by step, detailed guide on how to do everything

I will try to make this as clear as possible. I know somewhere on this thread there are step-by-step instructions. This is for the situation where you have 2 unlimited data lines and want to add a 3rd line for use by another family member who will be using a dumbphone on the 3rd line.

1) Buy a used verizon dumbphone off of ebay or amazon or craig's list;
2) Add a 3rd line to your verizon family plan;
3) Select the smartphone you want to use on your unlimited data line and pick a 2GB data plan for the new (3rd) line;
4) Activate the new smartphone on the new line;
5) Activate the used dumbphone on the new line and drop the data plan;
6) Put the SIM card from your smartphone currently on your unlimited data line into the new smartphone, or if the SIM card you have in your current smartphone is not compatible, get a new SIM card for the new smartphone and then activate the new smartphone on your unlimited data line;
7) Transfer the upgrade from one of your unlimited data lines to the dumbphone line and repeat steps 3-6.

At this point you can stop and you will be left with 2 new iPhones and 1 used dumbphone on a family plan with 3 lines. You also will have an unused upgrade on your other unlimited data line that you can use at a later date. Or you can transfer that unused upgrade to the new 3rd line (step 7) and repeat steps 3-6 to get yourself another iPhone 5s to sell so you can recoup the cost of the new line with the proceeds of the sale.

MM48

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Transferring the upgrade works. I have a new Note 3 to prove it, currently using 18gb of unlimited just over halfway through my billing cycle. Took advantage of the BF price drop.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Transferring the upgrade works. I have a new Note 3 to prove it, currently using 18gb of unlimited just over halfway through my billing cycle. Took advantage of the BF price drop.
I added a line in January to get a new iPhone for my mom's unlimited data line. Then when our upgrades on our unlimited data lines became available this fall, I transferred both one at a time to our dumbphone line and I got another iPhone to sell to pay for the cost of the 3rd line and a brand spanking new GNote3! We STILL have 2 unlimited data lines! And a spare line that costs us nothing due to the proceeds from the sale of the 2nd iPhone.

I also am getting the Moto X so I may be selling the GNote 3 but I don't know if I can part with it; it is fabulous!

phonefiend

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

Need some help as I'm in the middle of the transfer/upgrade process but hit several bumps in the road so don't want to mess this up.

I'm on a family share plan setup like this:
1. line 1: Galaxy Nexus (4G) with unlimited data eligible for upgrade
2. line 2: iPhone 5 with 2GB tiered data plan

I transferred the upgrade from line 1 to line 2, the tiered data line and bought an LG G2 via the VZW website. I got the G2 and a new SIM and called the 877 807 4646 number the guide that came with the phone said to call to activate the phone. I put the new SIM in the G2, turned it on and it was active and I could make calls, etc. I waited about an hour and then went online to put the iPhone back onto line 2 but was met with this message:

Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this MDN but have not activated it yet. You have the option to proceed after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance.

Called CS after 6 hours and told them to put the iPhone 5 back on line 2. The iPhone 5 was now working fine as it was previously and the CS rep said not to turn on the G2 again or it would activate again. I went back to the VZW website to try and put the G2 on line 1 to replace my galaxy nexus but it shows "Pending" underneath line 2 (iPhone 5) and it is grayed out. Just to see what would happen I chose to "switch device" on line 1 and it automatically asked if I wanted to activate the G2 on that line. I didn't proceed because I'm afraid it will kill my unlimited data given the "pending" and that it automatically wanted to put the G2 on line 1. What should I do at this point?

I'd appreciate it any help since it seems most people can get this all done online.

Thanks.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I went back to the VZW website to try and put the G2 on line 1 to replace my galaxy nexus but it shows "Pending" underneath line 2 (iPhone 5) and it is grayed out.
If I am understanding you correctly, I had the same thing happen to me in January when I was switching between an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4s on an unlimited data line. For some reason, an activation can get "stuck" in the Verizon system since Verizon still uses CDMA and requires every device's IMEI and associated SIM card to be in their database. Sometimes this results in a glitch.

Anyhow, there was no way to correct this online. The customer rep I got on the phone said they fixed it for me and it would take 24 hours to update. But it didn't. So I had to get a tech supervisor on the phone to get it "pushed through". It was a real PITA because the first customer service rep basically put in their system that the iPhone 4s SIM card was stolen.

But don't worry, it won't affect your unlimited. Your reactivation of the iPhone 5 got stuck and needs to be pushed through, whatever that means. Nothing you can do but call them and get them to deal with it on their end.

phonefiend

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

If I am understanding you correctly, I had the same thing happen to me in January when I was switching between an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4s on an unlimited data line. For some reason, an activation can get "stuck" in the Verizon system since Verizon still uses CDMA and requires every device's IMEI to be in their database. Sometimes this results in a glitch.

Anyhow, there was no way to correct this online. The customer rep I got on the phone said they fixed it for me and it would take 24 hours to update. But it didn't. So I had to get a tech supervisor on the phone to get it "pushed through". It was a real PITA.

But don't worry, it won't affect your unlimited. Your reactivation of the iPhone 5 got stuck and needs to be pushed through, whatever that means. Nothing you can do but call them and get them to deal with it on their end.

Ha, funny I did see your post when searching the thread. The tiered line with the iPhone 5 is my brother's and he lives in another state so I didn't want to end up with his line screwed up. I'll give CS a call when they open up.

Also, when I go to put the G2 on my unlimited line how do I know the system isn't treating it as the first time it's been activated? I'm hoping when I activated it on the tiered data line it actually registered as being activated since the online system didn't think it was activated.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I'll give CS a call when they open up.
You can get a tech person 24 hours a day if you indicate that your issue has to do with making and receiving phone calls. I find the tech people more knowledgeable than the regular customer service reps.

.Also, when I go to do put the G2 on my unlimited line how do I know the system isn't treating it as the first time it's been activated?
By either popping your existing SIM card from the smartphone currently on your unlimited data line into the G2 or getting a new SIM card for the G2.

phonefiend

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

You can get a tech person 24 hours a day if you indicate that your issue has to do with making and receiving phone calls. I find the tech people more knowledgeable than the regular customer service reps.

By either popping your existing SIM card from the smartphone currently on your unlimited data line into the G2 or getting a new SIM card for the G2.

Thanks for the tech support hint, I waited 6 hours for CS to open last time. The G2 came with a new SIM and that's the SIM I used to activate it on the tiered data line. I know people have re-used their existing SIM when switching it back to the unlimited line or using the new SIM that came with the phone. Are you saying get a new SIM aside from the one that came with the new phone?

Also, if I end up just taking the SIM out of my galaxy nexus and putting that into the G2 and not using the new SIM that came with the G2 what happens to the unused SIM? Does Verizon deactivate it somehow if it's not used for some time?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

The G2 came with a new SIM and that's the SIM I used to activate it on the tiered data line. I know people have re-used their existing SIM when switching it back to the unlimited line or using the new SIM that came with the phone.
I know I have read that, too. But I have never tried it. You can try it and see if it works. There were definitely people who posted here before saying you could do that.

Are you saying get a new SIM aside from the one that came with the new phone?
That's what I did. Whether or not that was necessary, I can't tell you because I have only gone the route of getting a new SIM card. But I know people have posted here saying it is unnecessary. People have posted here saying you didn't need to do the step of activating on the line that had the upgrade transferred to it, either, but I have never tried that route.

Also, if I end up just taking the SIM out of my galaxy nexus and putting that into the G2 and not using the new SIM that came with the G2 what happens to the unused SIM? Does Verizon deactivate it somehow if it's not used for some time?
Verizon SIMs are deactivated after a period of time of non-use. I can't remember how long, but after a period of time of non-use, they are automatically booted out of the Verizon system.

phonefiend

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

I know I have read that, too. But I have never tried it. You can try it and see if it works. There were definitely people who posted here before saying you could do that.

That's what I did. Whether or not that was necessary, I can't tell you because I have only gone the route of getting a new SIM card. But I know people have posted here saying it is unnecessary. People have posted here saying you didn't need to do the step of activating on the line that had the upgrade transferred to it, either, but I have never tried that route.

Verizon SIMs are deactivated after a period of time of non-use. I can't remember how long, but after a period of time of non-use, they are automatically booted out of the Verizon system.

Something interesting. I just put in the IMEI of my new G2 on this VZW page: Set Your Location and it says:

It appears you would like to activate your recently purchased device. Please sign in to My Verizon to complete your new device activation

I'm getting the feeling that Verizon thinks the G2 never activated when I activated it on the tiered data line. Hopefully this will resolve itself when I get them to push the iPhone 5 reactivation through but we'll see when I call them.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm getting the feeling that Verizon thinks the G2 never activated when I activated it on the tiered data line. Hopefully this will resolve itself when I get them to push the iPhone 5 reactivation through but we'll see when I call them.
Seems like it. I think it is best to get them to push through the reactivation of the iPhone 5 on the tiered line before messing with the unlimited data line just to be safe.

ogpanic1

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I will try to make this as clear as possible. I know somewhere on this thread there are step-by-step instructions. This is for the situation where you have 2 unlimited data lines and want to add a 3rd line for use by another family member who will be using a dumbphone on the 3rd line.

1) Buy a used verizon dumbphone off of ebay or amazon or craig's list;
2) Add a 3rd line to your verizon family plan;
3) Select the smartphone you want to use on your unlimited data line and pick a 2GB data plan for the new (3rd) line;
4) Activate the new smartphone on the new line;
5) Activate the used dumbphone on the new line and drop the data plan;
6) Put the SIM card from your smartphone currently on your unlimited data line into the new smartphone, or if the SIM card you have in your current smartphone is not compatible, get a new SIM card for the new smartphone and then activate the new smartphone on your unlimited data line;
7) Transfer the upgrade from one of your unlimited data lines to the dumbphone line and repeat steps 3-6.

At this point you can stop and you will be left with 2 new iPhones and 1 used dumbphone on a family plan with 3 lines. You also will have an unused upgrade on your other unlimited data line that you can use at a later date. Or you can transfer that unused upgrade to the new 3rd line (step 7) and repeat steps 3-6 to get yourself another iPhone 5s to sell so you can recoup the cost of the new line with the proceeds of the sale.

This worked for me when the S4 first came out but I tried this again tonight and when I switched back to my dumb phone it made me keep the $10 month 75MB on the phone there is no option to pay as you use MB. Guess ill call Verizon tomorrow to see if they can take it off.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

This worked for me when the S4 first came out but I tried this again tonight and when I switched back to my dumb phone it made me keep the $10 month 75MB on the phone there is no option to pay as you use MB. Guess ill call Verizon tomorrow to see if they can take it off.
yes, just call, they will remove the $10/mo plan. I just did this last week.

leonprofessional

May 4, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread for all the info. I got an LG G2 off the Cyber Monday deal and was able to keep my unlimited plan.

I specifically used the info in rogress' post here http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ep-unlimited-data-verizon-72.html#post3244795

Other than one slip up from the Verizon rep, everything went fine.

One note, just so others know, in the final process of actually activating the G2 on the line I wanted it on, the setup wizard said the SIM card was already activated, and it displayed the phone's line incorrectly. It showed it as the line for the dumb phone, instead of the line for the unlimited data plan. I skipped through the rest of the setup wizard anyway, and the G2 was actually activated to the correct line, despite what the setup wizard said. So if you see that and think "wait, that's not the right line...", don't worry about it, just continue setup and you'll be good.

jharmon203

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Your contract will be extended 2 years, not your sister's.

No, you will not if you first activate it on your sister's line. I just did this with 2 lines in the last week. The line that donated the upgrade (donor line) is extended by 2 years but the data plan on the donor line is not affected by the upgrade.

DayTime, you are correct on this as I verified it with verizon's chat. I chatted with them previously and they said my sister's contract would be affected and not mine.
If for some reason you find that you lose unlimited, you can return the phone and restore the upgrade. I am not sure how long you have to do this, but I don't think it is long. Search this thread - the answer to how long you have to reverse having unlimited data taken away is in this thread.

You are also correct on this. I did a search in this forum and I also chatted with a verizon rep that confirmed everything. If I return the smartphone, everything will revert or reverse back. There will be a $35 restocking fee though (but I will be able to keep unlimited data). I guess I am going back to the verizon store down the road to finish the process of activating the new G2 on my sister's 2GB tiered line. Going to take it home. Deactivate it. Activate her old iphone 4s. Then swap the SIM card in my old phone with the new G2. I believe they both have the same size SIM card. Otherwise I will just need to get a new SIM card from Verizon and do a transfer.

Also thanks to the guy who posted at 9:41am confirming this still works today. I am still a bit nervous about the process, but I have enough documentation from verizon reps to reverse anything if things go poorly.

ClintRo you are probably correct about the reps trying to scare me. (or they just don't know it works). If it does work, I am going to be visiting that store multiple times and smile each time as I approach and walk away. We have multiple upgrades on our family share available:)

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

If I return the smartphone, everything will revert or reverse back. There will be a $35 restocking fee though (but I will be able to keep unlimited data).
I am not sure how long before your contract gets locked and they can't change the unlimited data back. It is either 3 days or 14 days. I know somewhere on this thread you can find the answer.

ETA - dpham00, who is a very knowledgeable poster about upgrades and unlimited data, indicated that the contract is locked at 14 days and unlimited can't be restored after that.

14 Day Return Period

I know right now they have extended returns, but I would not push it past 14 days if you notice you have lost unlimited data.

I guess I am going back to the verizon store down the road to finish the process of activating the new G2 on my sister's 2GB tiered line.
Why do you have to go to the store to activate the new G2?

Also thanks to the guy who posted at 9:41am confirming this still works today. I am still a bit nervous about the process, but I have enough documentation from verizon reps to reverse anything if things go poorly.
Hundreds of us have done this successfully. That is why this thread is still going strong today. I just did it twice last week.

jharmon203

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

And I chickened out again.... DayThyme the reason I went to the store is because I chose to pick up the phone in the store and it has to be activated in the store before I can take the phone with me. I guess I just didn't want to wait for the phone to be shipped to me.

When I got to the store, the guy again told me that I would loose my unlimited data. I said "let's just do it anyways, I can always return the phone and revert back all contract changes". His response to that was that was that the phone's contract is not tied to the features of the phone. He said that I would go back to Month to Month, but I would still lose unlimited data. Another scare tactic or uninformed tactic?

He tried to look up on verizon's policies where the unlimited data could be applied back to the account. He didn't really find much on the topic, but just stated that there is only one department in verizon that can apply the unlimited data back ( I think basically trying to say chances were slim or it would take a lot of time on phone support to achieve this).

I was still ready to go through with it because he couldn't find much on it, but then he started to talk about coding. He stated there were 3 codes that are used in a upgrade in his system. I can't remember exactly what the codes were, but I do remember the two codes he went more in detail about were alternate upgrade codes. There were two alternate upgrade codes and he claimed both wiped out unlimited data. Know anything more about coding?

At this point I felt unsure about the coding that was going to happen in the store and wondering if it was an different than trying to accomplish it online. The wasn't an authorized reseller or anything. So I decided to leave. I am considering just waiting until the instore pickup times out and the phone is returned back to verizon after 4 days.

Again let me detail my process of what I did:

1) transferred the upgrade from line 1 unlimited to line 2
2) Line 2 is a tiered 2GB line.
3) Ordered the phone and chose the pick up in store option. This is pretty much where I am. I would have to go into the store. Activate the phone there before I could take it out of the store.
4) I planned on taking the phone home to deactivate it. Then reactivate the phone that was originally on line 2.
5) Then do a sim transfer since the razr maxx and the G2 do not have the same size.

Thanks again for all you help!

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

And I chickened out again.... DayThyme the reason I went to the store is because I chose to pick up the phone in the store and it has to be activated in the store before I can take the phone with me. I guess I just didn't want to wait for the phone to be shipped to me.
get it shipped directly to you in the future.

When I got to the store, the guy again told me that I would loose my unlimited data. I said "let's just do it anyways, I can always return the phone and revert back all contract changes". His response to that was that was that the phone's contract is not tied to the features of the phone. He said that I would go back to Month to Month, but I would still lose unlimited data. Another scare tactic or uninformed tactic?
He may not know what he is talking about or may be lying, hard to say.

I just did this twice last week with no problem. Just get the phone and activate it on your sister's line.

He tried to look up on verizon's policies where the unlimited data could be applied back to the account. He didn't really find much on the topic, but just stated that there is only one department in verizon that can apply the unlimited data back ( I think basically trying to say chances were slim or it would take a lot of time on phone support to achieve this).
I had a friend who was able to get it reinstated. She upgraded on an unlimited data line that was an individual line through bestbuy.com and she did not have to pick a new data plan. The checkout showed keep existing plan and she never selected any plan. She activated her phone on her unlimited data line (her only line since it was an individual plan) and Verizon automatically switched her to 2GB upon activation. She called and was transferred to whatever department could reverse it and faxed them the bestbuy.com invoice showing she had never selected another data plan for that line and they reinstated her unlimited data. If you go back in this thread others have had their unlimited data reinstated when they messed up the process.

I was still ready to go through with it because he couldn't find much on it, but then he started to talk about coding. He stated there were 3 codes that are used in a upgrade in his system. I can't remember exactly what the codes were, but I do remember the two codes he went more in detail about were alternate upgrade codes. There were two alternate upgrade codes and he claimed both wiped out unlimited data. Know anything more about coding?
I know I just went through this process twice in the last week and that hundreds of people have done it too and it works to keep unlimited data. There really is nothing more to say about this. Activate the phone on your sister's line first. Then switch the phone to your line. Your contract will be extended 2 years, your sister will keep her same upgrade date and you will keep your unlimited data.

1) transferred the upgrade from line 1 unlimited to line 2
2) Line 2 is a tiered 2GB line.
3) Ordered the phone and chose the pick up in store option. This is pretty much where I am. I would have to go into the store. Activate the phone there before I could take it out of the store.
Fine to do this.

4) I planned on taking the phone home to deactivate it. Then reactivate the phone that was originally on line 2.
That will work

5) Then do a sim transfer since the razr maxx and the G2 do not have the same size.
What do you mean SIM transfer? At this point I would call Verizon and have them mail you a new SIM card for the G2 to put it on your line. You can get them in store but it sounds like the reps in your store either don't know what they are talking about or are liars.

peters4n6

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

At this point I would call Verizon and have them mail you a new SIM card for the G2 to put it on your line. You can get them in store but it sounds like the reps in your store either don't know what they are talking about or are liars.

Can one get a new SIM ahead of the process in case it is needed? Will be going from an HTC Thunderbolt (big SIM) to a Note 3 (small SIM), so obviously it will not fit into the note3. I don't want to leave my son without his dumbphone for any length of time while doing this transfer IF I need another SIM (if, I say, because I have read upthread that needing a new SIM is not definite and there might be a possibility that doing the switcheroo online might only entail a reprogramming of the SIM that comes with the new phone so it can be recognized as the original unlimited line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool