What's The Most Data You've Used In A Month?

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm on an unlimited plan and usually average about 70GB a month. Two months ago I decided to see how much data I could use streaming Pandora/Slacker/Crackle/Netflix/YouTube to my TV via MHL. Last month I used just over 100GB. This month....

12 - 1.png

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ha wow that's a lot. Most I hit was 100 and I got really nervous...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Smoke em while you've got em, I guess. The most I've used in a month was a little over 8GB. I was streaming Netflix during airport delays on a vacation I took earlier this year.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I got the idea from a friend of mine that works at Verizon. She dumped cable 2 years ago and uses her phone as a hotspot for her laptop, tablet, GoogleTV, etc. She said she uses about 120GB a month. I decided to see how much I'd use if I did everything using my phones connection that I had been using my home cable for. 255 gigs later I have my answer. Lol.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I never imagined I'd ever use that much data. When I 1st got my unlimited data plan in 2009 with the original Motorola Droid I was barely using 4GB a month.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I would worry about using that much data is the harder transition it will be when the time comes to switch to tiered data once the rug is pulled out from under us. I am actually doing the opposite, to see if I could realistically go to a tiered data plan. Not that I want to, but with all of my lines on different end dates, there's no way I am paying full price for a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Used over 10GB in about two weeks when using WiFi tethering as my primary connection at home. Everything was snappy and worked fine - on average I use less than 5GB/month.

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I've used about 10gb one month, but i usually average about 3gb a month. I might shoot for a big number next month. I don't think I'll ever make it to 200bg plus though in one month lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I would worry about using that much data is the harder transition it will be when the time comes to switch to tiered data once the rug is pulled out from under us. I am actually doing the opposite, to see if I could realistically go to a tiered data plan. Not that I want to, but with all of my lines on different end dates, there's no way I am paying full price for a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm not overly worried about that. Verizon has said they won't take away unlimited from those that are grandfathered in. So as long as I buy my phones outright, which I do anyway because I switch phones every few months, I will be consuming large amounts of data for ages to come. Lol.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been as high as 30, but my average hovers around 15. Streaming podcasts, DL music, social media, etc...I'm on the road driving three weeks at a time, so it's my connection to everything.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm not overly worried about that. Verizon has said they won't take away unlimited from those that are grandfathered in. So as long as I buy my phones outright, which I do anyway because I switch phones every few months, I will be consuming large amounts of data for ages to come. Lol.

I would not trust that at all

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

xDetoursX

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice thread, now I'm really concerned about the usage. I'm getting the Note II in a couple of days and transferring over from Sprint. I have an EVO 4G right now and the plan is up. What pissed me off about Sprint was the fact that even though they advertised "Unlimited Data" I was never able to take advantage of it since I was NEVER able to pull a 4G signal. The 3G coverage was horrible too.

Now that I'm set to have the Note activated in a couple of days with the 4GB limit package, I'm a little worried it won't be enough, especially after reading some of these posts. I went with Verizon for its coverage, but after thinking about it and seeing that T-Mobile has the Note II and unlimited 4G, I'm not so sure Verizon is the way to go.

I plan on using the phone during the day at work. I have verified that AT&T and Sprint get Zero 4G reception in the office, but Verizon does pull in a signal. T-Mobile is unknown, however their coverage map shows excellent 4G coverage (but then again so did Sprint's when I got the EVO)

I would be paying about $97 with Verizon 4GB with company discount and $90 with T-Mobile unlimited and no discount. The only wild card is if I can get a T-Mobile signal in the office.

Any comments/suggestions?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Nice thread, now I'm really concerned about the usage. I'm getting the Note II in a couple of days and transferring over from Sprint. I have an EVO 4G right now and the plan is up. What pissed me off about Sprint was the fact that even though they advertised "Unlimited Data" I was never able to take advantage of it since I was NEVER able to pull a 4G signal. The 3G coverage was horrible too.

Now that I'm set to have the Note activated in a couple of days with the 4GB limit package, I'm a little worried it won't be enough, especially after reading some of these posts. I went with Verizon for its coverage, but after thinking about it and seeing that T-Mobile has the Note II and unlimited 4G, I'm not so sure Verizon is the way to go.

I plan on using the phone during the day at work. I have verified that AT&T and Sprint get Zero 4G reception in the office, but Verizon does pull in a signal. T-Mobile is unknown, however their coverage map shows excellent 4G coverage (but then again so did Sprint's when I got the EVO)

I would be paying about $97 with Verizon 4GB with company discount and $90 with T-Mobile unlimited and no discount. The only wild card is if I can get a T-Mobile signal in the office.

These tiered plans are they way to go imo if you have WiFi access at home/work I'm with sprint too and I'm thinking about at&t so I share your same concern

Sent from my PC36100

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I would not trust that at all

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

There's no reason not to. Before they moved to the Family Share plans they said they'd grandfather the people on unlimited plans and that they wouldn't cancel. They've kept their word. If and when when they renege I'll either switch carriers or alter my usage. Until then I won't be worrying myself about what might happen.

catkayne

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Not true about the grandfathering older plans. I have had the same plan for well over 8 years ( 4 phones - 2 smart and 2 regular. We share 700 minutes and unlimited texts.). I had unlimited data until today when I upgraded to a droid Razr from my old Samsung Fascinate. Now I get 2 GB and the Hubs still has Unlimited. Bought phone online from Verizon-wireless. I can only buy my phones there or from verizon stores since I have a business plan.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Not true about the grandfathering older plans. I have had the same plan for well over 8 years ( 4 phones - 2 smart and 2 regular. We share 700 minutes and unlimited texts.). I had unlimited data until today when I upgraded to a droid Razr from my old Samsung Fascinate. Now I get 2 GB and the Hubs still has Unlimited. Bought phone online from Verizon-wireless. I can only buy my phones there or from verizon stores since I have a business plan.

Perhaps you missed the memo but Verizon made it crystal clear that if you buy a subsidized phone or are on family plans you'll lose unlimited data. That fact was reported on everywhere relentlessly. I know 1st hand that the only way to keep is to buy your device at full price. I did so with the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Note II that I pre-ordered.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site

One thing to keep in mind is that with the T-Mobile unlimited plan you can't tether (unless your using a rooted or unlocked phone) while the Verizon even though it's tiered data they allow tethering. Just something to keep in mind if tethering is something you want to be able to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums