just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm cranky tonight and will regret this in the morning, but I'm sick & tired of watching all these great deals go to new customers while the returning customers pay more for their phone upgrade PLUS the added joy of a 30 upgrade fee. So in the case of the phone I am interested in a new customer gets it for 0.01 and I get it for 49.99 + 30 fee for 79.99 . . . This is the thanks I get for being a return customer; thank you verizon. End rant (no I don't feel better).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm cranky tonight and will regret this in the morning, but I'm sick & tired of watching all these great deals go to new customers while the returning customers pay more for their phone upgrade PLUS the added joy of a 30 upgrade fee. So in the case of the phone I am interested in a new customer gets it for 0.01 and I get it for 49.99 + 30 fee for 79.99 . . . This is the thanks I get for being a return customer; thank you verizon. End rant (no I don't feel better).

Is this through Verizon or an indirect?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Is this through Verizon or an indirect?

In this case it is through an indirect, but from time to time verizon does it as well. It probably wouldn't be as odious if they didn't tack on the upgrade fee, which is definitely verizon's call. I get it that they want to attract new customers, but to hit current customers with a fee just seems wrong. Its true new customers are supposed to pay an activation fee, but that is easy to get waived if you whine enough, but there seems to be no budging on the upgrade fees.
Used to be upgrade was free, then it was subsidized minus 50, then it was subsidized, now its subsidized and *we* pay 30 . . . of course I used to be able to fill my car with gas for $10 too =)
I know if I wanted to be snarky I'd say, "geez, get over it" but I guess its just bugging me for some reason. It's probably the price of the phone, if it were 200 the extra 30 doesn't seem to bother me, but since its 50 the extra 30 seems like alot. Go figure :/

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The extra $30 upgrade fee bothered me when I paid $200 for my phone. It seems silly to pay for the privilege of signing a contract, despite what VZW claims the fee goes for. And yes, everyone else has the fee, and it's even more with some other carriers, so it's a "bargain".

That still doesn't make it right.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The extra $30 upgrade fee bothered me when I paid $200 for my phone. It seems silly to pay for the privilege of signing a contract, despite what VZW claims the fee goes for. And yes, everyone else has the fee, and it's even more with some other carriers, so it's a "bargain".

That still doesn't make it right.

It's probably one of the easiest fees to get waived too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In this case it is through an indirect, but from time to time verizon does it as well. It probably wouldn't be as odious if they didn't tack on the upgrade fee, which is definitely verizon's call. I get it that they want to attract new customers, but to hit current customers with a fee just seems wrong. Its true new customers are supposed to pay an activation fee, but that is easy to get waived if you whine enough, but there seems to be no budging on the upgrade fees.
Used to be upgrade was free, then it was subsidized minus 50, then it was subsidized, now its subsidized and *we* pay 30 . . . of course I used to be able to fill my car with gas for $10 too =)
I know if I wanted to be snarky I'd say, "geez, get over it" but I guess its just bugging me for some reason. It's probably the price of the phone, if it were 200 the extra 30 doesn't seem to bother me, but since its 50 the extra 30 seems like alot. Go figure :/

Talking to people I know that have recently upgraded, only one in five wasn't able to get the upgrade fee waived. That person has only been a Verizon customer for 23 months prior. All others have been Verizon customers for more than four years.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Really? That's interesting because I found it really easy to get activation fees waived but when I ask about the upgrade fee it doesn't fly.

Thanks, that will give me the confidence to "push" a little harder.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Really? That's interesting because I found it really easy to get activation fees waived but when I ask about the upgrade fee it doesn't fly.

I'll admit, my sample size is small (4 out of 5). That's just what I've seen personally.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my Thunderbolt in June 2011 they waived my upgrade fee as long as I purchased 3 accessories. I bought a case, screen protectors and a car charger all with a 25% off discount.

Ask if you can do the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

This only applies to indirect dealers. The pricing directly through Verizon is the same for new and old customers. As far as the $30 upgrade fee, new customers pay $35 per phone for activation. Every other cellular company charges a fee similar and it's higher for upgrades.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention the tax you pay on the "original $600 list price" lol
. . .I get it for 49.99 + 30 fee for 79.99 . . .

Do I just bargain with a rep in a verizon store and tell them I don't want to pay the fee?
Talking to people I know that have recently upgraded, only one in five wasn't able to get the upgrade fee waived. That person has only been a Verizon customer for 23 months prior. All others have been Verizon customers for more than four years.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I did this for my niece and sister. Verizon credited their account a month of data each at $29.99. Ask for the customer loyalty/retention department. I explained why the fee was a bunch of crap and they did this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

No, I don't think a store representative can waive the fee. Verizon customer service on the phone said I'd be fighting a uphill battle and yet I got it done as I mentioned in above post.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No, I don't think a store representative can waive the fee. Verizon customer service on the phone said I'd be fighting a uphill battle and yet I got it done as I mentioned in above post.

Of the 4 instances I posted about earlier, 2 were waived in-store.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Can you elaborate on how you were able to do this so easily? You're talking about the $30 upgrade fee, right?

I tried chatting online. They said 'corporate won't allow them'. So I chatted on the phone. I told them I was a loyal customer, that we've been using Verizon ever since we got phones, that we recently upgraded 2 phones to smartphones and are now paying an extra $60/month, that we're considering upgrading all phones in the near future, etc etc. I was courteous, but when that didn't work I played the irate customer. I was on the phone with them for a good 10 minutes, and they didn't budge. She just said "we are not allowed to! That's a non-negotiable fee!"

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you elaborate on how you were able to do this so easily? You're talking about the $30 upgrade fee, right?

I tried chatting online. They said 'corporate won't allow them'. So I chatted on the phone. I told them I was a loyal customer, that we've been using Verizon ever since we got phones, that we recently upgraded 2 phones to smartphones and are now paying an extra $60/month, that we're considering upgrading all phones in the near future, etc etc. I was courteous, but when that didn't work I played the irate customer. I was on the phone with them for a good 10 minutes, and they didn't budge. She just said "we are not allowed to! That's a non-negotiable fee!"

One that happened in-store told me they did exactly what you tried to do. One was upgrading two lines at the same time and also mentioned how long they were with Verizon and how they have never ever had a late payment.

I'm pretty sure the other went the same route, but I know they only upgraded on one line.

Two others called in later after hearing about getting the fee waived and had a similar conversation with whoever they were talking to. Not sure if they were escalated up the chain.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae