Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2 line family plan both with unlimited data. Both are eligible for an upgrade soon. I don't have a dumb phone but presumably, I could buy one off of craigs list if I need to.

I want to keep unlimited data on both of my lines so to get a subsidized phone, I would need to add a line, yes? Then I could get a new smartphone on that line but switch the smartphone to one of the unlimited data lines and put the dumb phone on the new line. Then I could transfer the upgrades from my unlimited lines to the new line twice and get 2 more new phones at the subsidized price each time switching back the new line to the dumb phone?

Yup, from what I was told by the rep, and what we wound up doing, this is the case.
You need to have a dummy line, or at least an active line on your family plan that doesn't already have unlimited data to use as the middleman.
But the gist is to just transfer all the upgrades to that line, do the upgrades, then move the phone over to the original lines. As my case proved, the system doesn't seem to care that my mom's line was changing between like 3 phones within the span of an hour.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yup, from what I was told by the rep, and what we wound up doing, this is the case.
You need to have a dummy line, or at least an active line on your family plan that doesn't already have unlimited data to use as the middleman.
But the gist is to just transfer all the upgrades to that line, do the upgrades, then move the phone over to the original lines. As my case proved, the system doesn't seem to care that my mom's line was changing between like 3 phones within the span of an hour.

Awesome, I don't have a dummy line yet, or a dummy phone, but when I am ready for a new phone, that is what I will do, thanks!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Do what is known in Verizon land as an alternate upgrade. You are essentially using the upgrade eligibility of another line to upgrade your phone. It will not affect your unlimited data. It basically is like using the upgrade on the other line and swapping the phone to yours, just less of a process.

The line that you took the upgrade from WILL loose unlimited however.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The line that you took the upgrade from WILL loose unlimited however.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

No, it will not.
This was exactly the point that caused me so much confusion. So many people are still saying that the line you take the upgrade from will lose unlimited.
However, I have proved that this is not the case. I transferred my own upgrade, from my unlimited line, over to my mother's line, got the DNA on her line, activated it, then reactivated her old phone, swapped the DNA onto my line in place of my DINC, and I still have unlimited on my line having used my own upgrade.

vzwunldata.JPG

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
This is good information. I'm glad I stopped by. My house currently has 4 smartphones, all with unlimited data. I plan on adding a 5th line, to transfer the upgrades to, so I can retain my unlimited status. I don't own a dumb phone to put on the 5th line. Is having the dumb phone really necessary? Thanks.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
yes, having the dumbphone is necessary. You MUST have a phone on the line and if it is a smartphone, you have to have a dataplan. But if you have a dumbphone, you don't have to have a data plan.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
yes, having the dumbphone is necessary. You MUST have a phone on the line and if it is a smartphone, you have to have a dataplan. But if you have a dumbphone, you don't have to have a data plan.

Ok. I thought I had read somewhere it could be done without a physical phone. I guess I will check out eBay.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
No, it will not.
This was exactly the point that caused me so much confusion. So many people are still saying that the line you take the upgrade from will lose unlimited.
However, I have proved that this is not the case. I transferred my own upgrade, from my unlimited line, over to my mother's line, got the DNA on her line, activated it, then reactivated her old phone, swapped the DNA onto my line in place of my DINC, and I still have unlimited on my line having used my own upgrade.

View attachment 53776

You transferred the equipment AFTER the upgrade was processed. That is not the same thing as transfering the update to another line. You found a loophole in the system but there are reports that corporate is telling reps to watch out for that. We shall see how long you are able to do that

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I called VZN and was told transferring my upgrade to another line would not result in me losing unlimited.

The line getting the equipment will not loose unlimited but the one you stole the upgrade from will since you are actually signing a contract extension on that line.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You transferred the equipment AFTER the upgrade was processed. That is not the same thing as transfering the update to another line. You found a loophole in the system but there are reports that corporate is telling reps to watch out for that. We shall see how long you are able to do that

I am not following you. This is the way I understand it from speaking with a VZN rep. I have 2 unlimited data lines on the same family plan. I can add a line to that family plan without losing unlimited data on my other 2 lines. The new plan cannot get unlimited data, but it can get 2GB of data for $30. So the cost for the new line is $40 + taxes if I have a smartphone on it but only $10 + taxes if I have a dumb phone on it.

I was told by the VZN rep that I can transfer my upgrades from the unlimited data lines to the new line, get a subsidized phone on the new line, activate the subsidized phone on that new line and then transfer the new subsidized phone to my unlimited data lines withOUT losing unlimited data on the line.

Are you saying the VZN rep was wrong about this?

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The line getting the equipment will not loose unlimited but the one you stole the upgrade from will since you are actually signing a contract extension on that line.

First, VZN doesn't use the word "stole" when you ask about this. They use the word "transfer."

Second, what you are saying is the opposite of what the VZN rep told me and the opposite of what the posters here are showing proof that they did.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, he is stating the "official" policy, or what's intended to happen.
However, the steps we've outlined currently are exploiting a loophole with their rules, hence why the VZW staff that handled it for me pulled me aside and spoke to me quietly about it.

Until they fix it though, this is a valid way of keeping unlimited, and a must for me, as I have no idea how my 4G usage will be compared to my 3G usage.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
As I understand it, he is stating the "official" policy, or what's intended to happen.
However, the steps we've outlined currently are exploiting a loophole with their rules, hence why the VZW staff that handled it for me pulled me aside and spoke to me quietly about it.

Until they fix it though, this is a valid way of keeping unlimited, and a must for me, as I have no idea how my 4G usage will be compared to my 3G usage.
Thank you!

What happens to the upgrade status of the "middleman" phone (your mom's phone) after you transfer the upgrade to the middleman line and then transfer the phone back to the unlimited line? Does the middleman line upgrade get reset to 20 months from the date of the use of the transferred upgrade?

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It stays on its own upgrade schedule, because her own contract was not touched. Upon transferring the upgrade, my own line's contract was renewed without change to its terms for 2 years, and it now shows the upgrade dates of both lines that we used (my Line #1 and Line #2) as 2 years from now (minus a few months.) Her own Line #4 upgrade date stayed at early 2014 because she upgraded about 7 months ago using her own upgrade.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
This is awesome news! I hope this loophole stays open through August when I am due for an upgrade. Please let us know if anything changes on your account!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

That's corect. The rep pulled you aside because he didn't want his manager to hear what he wad telling you because he was likely (there have been reports elsewhere of an email being sent out ) told NOT to do what he was telling you. He wanted his commission so he could meet his quita.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
That's corect. The rep pulled you aside because he didn't want his manager to hear what he wad telling you because he was likely (there have been reports elsewhere of an email being sent out ) told NOT to do what he was telling you. He wanted his commission so he could meet his quita.
This can be done entirely online. No need to involve a VZW rep.

FDLuke

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
This can be done entirely online. No need to involve a VZW rep.
I tried adding a line through Activate or Switch Device online and got an error message that I could not activate this device on my account via My Verizon. I didn't get an option to even select a phone.

I tried going to Add a New Device and was able to select a (free) dumb phone then it allowed me to customize my plan. I chose no data plan being as though it was a phone that did not require data. It would not let me proceed. I went back and noticed it also bumped unlimited text messaging off both of my existing lines.

Perhaps im missing something but could you please elaborate on how to do this online? I wouldnt mind taking advantage of the current Radio Shack deal and pay $99 for an S3 w/ a $30 credit towards the Google Play store but im worried about running into a similar situation the OP ran into at the non-corporate store.

Thank you darkscythe for explaining your situation and resolution as the process played out.