Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

MYkooh

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
No. If you are on a single line and want to move to a family plan you will have to move to shared everything since nationwide family share plans are no longer available. But if you are already on a nationwide family share plan you can still add lines up to the maximum of 5 total. Trying to add a 6th line will force you to shared everything.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

This is not true. The natuonwide plans are still available via customer service or in store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
This is not true. The natuonwide plans are still available via customer service or in store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Please do not confuse people. The individual plans are available if you talk to the right person in customer service or Credit and Activations, but the family plans are completely gone unless you are already on one.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Everyone said that when unlimited went away and Share Everything became the norm that people would lave in droves.
Where would they go? AT&T no longer offers unlimited data and throttles unlimited data after 2GB anyhow. Sprint doesn't have 4G LTE very many places and neither does T-Mobile.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It would be a sucky thing to do but Verizon would be well within their rights to notify everyone that is no longer under contract that effective on such and such a date unlimited data no longer exists and those that do nothing will automatically be moved to the 2GB plan at the same price.
They could do that or raise the price so much that it wouldn't be worth it to keep. But I suspect that there will be so few people with unlimited data plans shortly that they will leave us alone.

Or maybe they will throttle after a certain amount of data like AT&T does.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Where would they go? AT&T no longer offers unlimited data and throttles unlimited data after 2GB anyhow. Sprint doesn't have 4G LTE very many places and neither does T-Mobile.

Exactly. They get mad and have a fit but in the end that's as far as it goes because. The ones that do leave find that the grass is not greener and unlimited isn't really on other carriers

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
They could do that or raise the price so much that it wouldn't be worth it to keep. But I suspect that there will be so few people with unlimited data plans shortly that they will leave us alone.

Or maybe they will throttle after a certain amount of data like AT&T does.

That's my theory. They will throttle unlimited at 2 gb.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
AT&T throttles 4G LTE after 5 GB, not 2 GB.

Source: AT&T amends data throttling policy: 5GB for LTE smartphones, 3GB for non-LTE | BGR

That's my theory. They will throttle unlimited at 2 gb.
Verizon is not allowed to: Block, degrade, or interfere with the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing on the licensee?s Block C network, subject to reasonable network management.

Source: Wireless net neutrality so bad, Verizon already agreed to it | Ars Technica

If AT&T is throttling after 5 GB, then throttling after 2 GB is far below "reasonable" network management. Verizon would be violating the net neutrality rules that they agreed to follow if they were to throttle someone after watching 2 gigabytes worth of movies on Netflix.

Exactly. They get mad and have a fit but in the end that's as far as it goes because. The ones that do leave find that the grass is not greener and unlimited isn't really on other carriers
Really? Let's see how much data some are using on Sprint and T-Mobile:

Sprint:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ouch/160271-average-texts-data-per-month.html
- "And about 10 gigs of data. Most I've ever capped out on was about 42 gigs"
- "I have between 10,000 and 20,000 texts a month, and I use about 15 GBs a month data-wise."
- "100 minutes, 500 texts, and 7-8GB of 4G."
- "I am at 1350 texts and about 11GB of data."
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ustomers-taking-advantage-unlimited-data.html
- "I average around 15GB/Month. I do not tether.
- "I am up to about 13GB and counting Crackle, YouTube, Pandora and Amazon and the beat goes on"
- "I use wireless tether and i download probably 30GB per month."
- "Pandora, YouTube, and web surfing, as well as, tethering. I average about 350-400GB a month. Last month saw my highest usage of 611GB Sprint has never said a word to me."
- "nice..... I just got my most recent bill. 14 gigs of 3g used. 1.1 gig 4g"
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/145837-sprint-really-unlimited.html
- "Yeah I hit 18gigs lol. I'm sure that threw up a bright red flag."
- "I've been using at least 15GB with the EVO 3D due to faster download speeds. This month (12/30) I'm on track to hit 16GB"
- "I have been using between 7-15 GB of data per month since August 2010. I have never been slowed down or had a letter from sprint."

T-Mobile:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile/245076-has-anyone-switched-unlimited-4g-plan.html
- "Jan 18 - 27: about 17.24 GB used,"
- "I've read some users claim that they use 20GB/month on the plan and haven't been throttled yet."
- "On my post paid unlimited I went close 90 gigs streaming NBA and tennis games. Not a peep from T-Mobile."
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile/244038-unlimited-data-screens-hots.html
- "Dec 23, 2012 - Jan 15, 2013: about 27.58 GB used"
- "Dec 23, 2012 - Jan 24, 2013: about 40.84 GB used"
- "Jan 9 - Feb9: about 19.25 GB used"

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Correct. AT&T is the only carrier out of the four where no one has "unlimited" 4G or 4G LTE.
I would consider leaving VZW for Sprint if they get 4G LTE in my area and it is truly unlimited, but the main problem I had with Sprint when I had it was the bad reception indoors. From what I recall back when I looked into it, that was due to the higher frequencies that Sprint used not penetrating buildings as well as lower frequencies.

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Today 3/23 I upgraded using my upgrade on my unlimited data line by following the steps listed in this forum. I DID NOT CALL AHEAD OR GO IN THE STORE. I simply did the transfer upgrade via verizon wireless and I picked a dummy line that was already on my account to move the upgrade to. I bough the a S3 only and did the instore pick up option. It was ready in 30mins. They did not ask question and even gave my a extra sim card be cause i asked (didnt say my intentions). I then called verizon customer service to show that the transfer line still had unlimited and the dummy line i transfered it to now had the s3 and a 2gb data plan. I will drop the data plan later in my 14 once i am a 10000000% sure i made it clear.

I NEVER TOLD A VERIZON REP WHAT I DID OR WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I DID IT. I DONT NEED THEM LOOKING INTO MY ACCOUNT ASKING QUESTIONS.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I then called verizon customer service to show that the transfer line still had unlimited and the dummy line i transfered it to now had the s3 and a 2gb data plan.
After you transfer the S3 to the unlimited data line, just keep checking through your next billing cycle to make sure you still have unlimited data. If the system switches you off unlimited data, call and get it reinstated right away.

comk4ver

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
And AT&T doesn't allow tethering either from what I have read. You can WiFi tether for free on VZW with unlimited data.

I thought wifi tethering was the fastest way to get caught? It was my understanding that wired tethering was best?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought wifi tethering was the fastest way to get caught? It was my understanding that wired tethering was best?
Maybe, there are also ways to mask the wifi tethering from what I have read, but I am on VZW and wifi tether on unlimited and there are no issues with getting caught because it is allowed.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If you are out of contract you can do that anyway.

Your contract is for a set time period (24 months). At the end of that time you can leave or they can change the terms unilaterally because the contract is no longer in effect. At 24 months after the last day that a person could have signed up for an unlimited Verizon can do whatever they want. That date is about 15 months away so what he told makes sense.

Historically carriers have almost always allowed people to continue on their existing plans (even ones that did not exist anymore) until they themselves changed the plan, changed to a device that required a plan change, or left the provider. But they are NOT required to do so.

It would be a sucky thing to do but Verizon would be well within their rights to notify everyone that is no longer under contract that effective on such and such a date unlimited data no longer exists and those that do nothing will automatically be moved to the 2GB plan at the same price.

I had unlimited internet 8 years. It was separate. 3g. I decided two years ago to switch. I didn't use a lot. I like the share everything plan. Ends up saving me money. I do have a corporation discount

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Correct. AT&T is the only carrier out of the four where no one has "unlimited" 4G or 4G LTE.

You're correct in that they throttle you after 5 GB from what I've heard, but they also do the same with 3g users after 2 GB. I don't know if they would throttle a 3g user to the same speed they would throttle a 4g user.

I would imagine it is much more difficult, from a practical sense for someone to reach the higher-end numbers that I've achieved, 15-17 GB per month, which is dwarfed by others, while on an Unlimited VZW plan with 4g.

I haven't really been able to determine, since I don't have AT&T, how useful the data connection is once throttled, but I'd imagine Netflix/Youtube/Pandora might have issues, so you could argue that no one with AT&T truly has Unlimited Data----from a practical standpoint.

From a billing standpoint, regardless of 3g or 4g, everyone at AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited plan still has unlimited, in that they will never be charged data overages and can keep using as much as they want after being throttled.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Throttling is not done at a set amount. Its based on a percentage. If you are in the top 5% of data use you will get the throttle. That can obviously be a different threshold every month. Most months it will happen at about 20gbs. True fact.

Edit: I'm talking about Verizon, don't know how other carriers do it.