Moving back to Android phone (is the DNA the phone to buy?)

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend SwiftKey keyboard right off the bat. The stock keyboard is ok, and I especially like the extra row of dedicated numbers. But there is no spell correct. And the punctuation is clunky to get to. SwiftKey has a punctuation key that you can hold down and slide up to desired character and when you let off it puts it in. Kind of like ios. That's the only thing in ios I missed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Also it is 3.99 in the play store but there is a free 30 version you can try. Plus it has several different colored themes.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So tired of the arguments about the note size. I've had note 1 and note 2. Fits comfortably in every pocket I have. If your pants pockets are only 5 inches deep you need to take off your daughters low rize spandex pants. I put my slick note2 in my pocket and it falls several inches to the bottom of my pocket. And I just wear regular Levi Carpenter pants.
These people who cry about the note size should just keep wearing their Justin beiber skinny jeans and buy a iphone.

Just for the record, I have tried many different brands of jeans and you would be surprised how some of them are totally useless by having shallow pockets. I had some on (somewhat loose fitting) last year when I first got my Nexus. First time in my front pocket, jumped down the steps from my porch and my phone flies out and lands on 3 of the 4 corners on the concrete.
Let's all end the skinny jeans/baggy jeans debate. Not all pockets are created equally. That is all. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess I have been lucky with the pants I have bought in the past few years. My pockets are deep. Lol literally, not figuratively.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what kind of jeans you wear, but I just measured the depth of my pocket (size 38 Loose Fit Buffalo Jeans) and the depth of the pocket is five inches. The Note 2 is 5.95 inches tall. Not carrying a phone in my back pocket. That seems absurd and an invitation for disaster.

I have used the phone and think it is awesome. If it were 20% smaller, it'd tick ALL boxes. I guess this is kind of like saying if the DNA had a 20% bigger battery it'd do the same.

I guess it depends on the type of jeans. I wear boot cut and my pockets would be plenty big. But I agree - I would not put anything in my back pocket. I never do and never will.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I actually looked hard at the lg optimus G when I was buying my note2. That thing looked nice as hell. My boss has the dna. It is really nice too. Dna has the highest pixel density of any phone right now.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 4 is not on Verizon and does not have LTE. As stated, the DNA is seemingly perfect, but battery life would make me worry too much. My Evo 4g always had me chasing battery drain. Not willing to take that chance with a small capacity battery right off the bat.

Bought the Note 2. Enjoying it so far. I think the size can be gotten used to. I heard the Note 3 may be even bigger!?!? I used to say that my Nokia n800 would make a great phone. Overall cubic size of that little brick would probably be bigger.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 4 is not on Verizon and does not have LTE. As stated, the DNA is seemingly perfect, but battery life would make me worry too much. My Evo 4g always had me chasing battery drain. Not willing to take that chance with a small capacity battery right off the bat.

Bought the Note 2. Enjoying it so far. I think the size can be gotten used to. I heard the Note 3 may be even bigger!?!? I used to say that my Nokia n800 would make a great phone. Overall cubic size of that little brick would probably be bigger.

glad you like the Note 2 so far. much like you, I am a front pocket user, though I rarely wear jeans, but mostly khaki slacks. those pockets seem to be deep, and can handle the Note 2. I'm up for an upgrade in July, and the Note 2 is still at the top of my list...with the Razr Maxx HD a distant 2nd. the DNA isn't even on my list.

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess your location has a lot to do with your phone choice too. I live in Central Illinois and use att. There is no lte coverage here. So lte as a feature hasn't even been on my radar.

TexasNexus1

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Wife has had the DNA since Christmas & the stories of questionable battery have been greatly exaggerated. Full day is ez. Awesome job by htc. Storage is non-issue for her. So is perfect fit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
glad you like the Note 2 so far. much like you, I am a front pocket user, though I rarely wear jeans, but mostly khaki slacks. those pockets seem to be deep, and can handle the Note 2. I'm up for an upgrade in July, and the Note 2 is still at the top of my list...with the Razr Maxx HD a distant 2nd. the DNA isn't even on my list.

I am up for my upgrade in August...on my birthday even. I don't even have a list at this point because it's a pretty good assumption that anything out right now will not be on it. I am expecting some big summer releases and upgrades to all of the phones that are currently available.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I am up for my upgrade in August...on my birthday even. I don't even have a list at this point because it's a pretty good assumption that anything out right now will not be on it. I am expecting some big summer releases and upgrades to all of the phones that are currently available.

i feel ya. however, I have a tight financial budget to stick to, so I always buy phones that are under a year old, getting the more bang for my buck. the Note 2 has EVERYTHING I want except it's a smidgen too big. don't get me wrong, if the S4 is under $200, I'm getting it. but the note 2 give me much more bang for my buck in July of 2013. Razr Maxx HD was higher on my list, but 1GB of RAM kind of turned me off, compared to the Note. but we shall see.....

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Wife has had the DNA since Christmas & the stories of questionable battery have been greatly exaggerated. Full day is ez. Awesome job by htc. Storage is non-issue for her. So is perfect fit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

lack of micro SD support completely turned me away from the DNA. I would give it a fair shot, otherwise.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
One full week in and I still love this phone. Here's a couple of thoughts:

- Yes it's big. But it DOES fit in my pockets. The stores really should have dummy units without the anti theft devices on them so folks can easily see that it is pocketable (the anti theft cable was what made me think it wouldn't fit)
- Not only should you think of this as a large phone, but also a small and very usable tablet. I had previously bought a Nexus 7 as a take everywhere in my bag device. This thing has taken over that role completely.
- if you are on the fence due to size, ask a store employee if you can do the pocket test with an actual phone.

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Really good to hear. Glad you're digging it. It does take over many rolls for me too. I've been thinking of getting a tablet but I don't think I would ever use it because of this phone. I don't even use my laptop much anymore.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Really good to hear. Glad you're digging it. It does take over many rolls for me too. I've been thinking of getting a tablet but I don't think I would ever use it because of this phone. I don't even use my laptop much anymore.

I 100% NEED a tablet now. The iPad has made me dependent on it. Had I not picked up an iPad 4 when they came out, the Nexus 7 would probably be enough. But having something between the 5.5 inch and 9 inch form factors is just slightly too much redundancy. The 5.5 inch screen is great for surfing on the go, but the larger tablet screen real estate does make browsing more enjoyable and easier. All other apps that don't require prolonged reading are amazing on the Note 2.

All I know is that I just checked Office Depot's return policy and opened tech means store credit only now (when did this happen?). So some lucky sucker will be getting a nearly new Nexus 7 at a 10% discount soon.

Last edited:

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I actually want either a surface pro or an Acer w700 to replace my laptop that my son has taken over. But both are pretty pricey. Well the surface pro price hasn't been priced out yet but it will be similar to the Acer w700 price I'm sure.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
One full week in and I still love this phone. Here's a couple of thoughts:

- Yes it's big. But it DOES fit in my pockets. The stores really should have dummy units without the anti theft devices on them so folks can easily see that it is pocketable (the anti theft cable was what made me think it wouldn't fit)
- Not only should you think of this as a large phone, but also a small and very usable tablet. I had previously bought a Nexus 7 as a take everywhere in my bag device. This thing has taken over that role completely.
- if you are on the fence due to size, ask a store employee if you can do the pocket test with an actual phone.

my verizon store has the dummy phone, and I have gone back several times just to make sure the note 2 will actually fit, not to mention everytime I see it in person the size seems to be that much more tolerable. next to the note 2, my second phone choice (razr maxx hd) is fading further into my rearview mirror.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech