Verizon Tiered Plan

condr67

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
So now Verizon is rumored to be discussing a tiered plan for data usage? I would imagine that like AT&T they will grandfather all existing customers to the unlimited plan.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
yup, i believe they said the Droid X would be on unlimited usage, so lets hope so....although i have no idead how much data i use on a monthly basis so maybe the tiered plan would be cheaper for me.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i think everything is speculation until verizon officially announces it

i think people will be grandfathered first and foremost, anything after that is just a "what if" statement

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Putting my lawyer hat on, if Verizon tried to pull existing customers into tiered data, they would, essentially, be renegotiating your contract. They would have to give you the option to stay or go. I'm sure, like with AT&T, they don't want to lose the subsidies given to the band of X and DInc owners if people said, "I'm out."

So, like others, I would expect current customers to be grandfathered in, and possibly a date certain when the plans go into effect; thus encouraging people in the middle or nearing the end of a contract period to re-up for two years or move to the new tiered data plan.

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So here's a question that some of you may or may not know. Currently I'm a BB owner awaiting vz release of the facinate (that's when I plan to switch from BB to android) Now if vzw switches to tier'd data plans and then releases their version of the galaxy s. If I switch to that phone would I be able to keep an unlimited data plan since I had it before the switch or would I be forced to take a tier'd plan?

condr67

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just for my own curiosity I called Verizon. They said they have not heard of anything as of yet. I would expect a grandfather clause if they did.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
So here's a question that some of you may or may not know. Currently I'm a BB owner awaiting vz release of the facinate (that's when I plan to switch from BB to android) Now if vzw switches to tier'd data plans and then releases their version of the galaxy s. If I switch to that phone would I be able to keep an unlimited data plan since I had it before the switch or would I be forced to take a tier'd plan?

I would think if you're already in a plan with data, you're in. The device shouldn't matter. The only way I could see you getting caught up in a new plan is if they somehow suggest that your contract changes when you switch from BB to the Fascinate. Of course, that would be garbage. Data is data.

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If they adopt AT&T's plan, I would be saving 5 dollars a month and I have never used more than 1.5GB.

Now when I start tethering, that will be a different story.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I felt like I had to move to a smartphone now instead of waiting until my contract is up a year from now. Tiered data sucks.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. Tired data plans are the fair way to charge people for their usage. Percentages show there is a small number that uses a large amount of data usage a month, while the rest use less but are paying for those high numbers.

Why is it unfair to equalize this to have those who have high usage pay for that usage and those who have low usage pay less for what they use?

For those who are tethering without paying the extra fee and are using high amounts of data usage, I say too bad. Now you will end up paying for what you are using that is technically against your agreement with Verizon.

Is it ok to steal gasoline so you can go further on a dollar, or should you pay for all the gasoline you use?

I say stop the whining and accept that in the future, with all providers you will pay for what you use and those who use less will pay less. It will happen eventually to the internet too.

I do not work for Verizon. I work for Uncle Sam. I currently have a BB, and I currently use about 200 meg per month on my BB. I also know that when I convert to the Android system, my usage will go up considerably. BB compresses the data on a 6.1 ratio from the BIS to the phone. Therefore, my 200 meg usage on BB will be about 1.2 gig on an Android. I know this, and I am not the least bit worried about paying more for my usage.

PGHammer

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
You Have Reason To Worry *If*....

I would think if you're already in a plan with data, you're in. The device shouldn't matter. The only way I could see you getting caught up in a new plan is if they somehow suggest that your contract changes when you switch from BB to the Fascinate. Of course, that would be garbage. Data is data.

The folks that have the most reason to worry are those that tether or use their phone as a hotspot (basically, using the phone as a modem); those are precisely the folks that put the greatest stress and strain on the data side of any cellular network (worse than those with the USB/3G dongles, such as those that VZW and Vodaphone sell/distribute today). Data usage by the handset itself doesn't come close to the caps (and connecting the phone to a wireless router doesn't count against the cap), so what is left?

I don't *tether* (despite owning a laptop; in fact, I'm getting ready to add either a netbook or a second laptop), and I don't use (or plan to!) a wireless phone as a hotspot. Wireless use at home? That is what a router (which I have) is for. Just about any hotel has low-cost (if not no-cost) wireless Internet (even Super 8 and Motel 6, let alone the higher-end major chains, such as Holiday Inn), so I need to tether *why*?

Therefore, for me, it's a non-issue, and will remain a non-issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae