Galaxy S3 vs Razr Maxx HD ?

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Never mind - please close/erase this thread - should have googled ONE more page to find an almost exact copy of this post on this forum ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...xy-s3-vs-droid-razr-maxx-hd-should-i-get.html ) ...
Sorry about that...

===

Hi.
I've owned a Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S1) for 2 years, and I have dealt with the constant hardware issues as best as I could (eventually found one ROM that worked the best).

So now my contract is up for renewal, and I need help figuring out what my next phone will be...

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the Motorola Razr Maxx HD.

Originally I wanted just the S3, but then the reports of sudden death came up, and I'm still not 100% convinced that the problem can be fixed using software/firmware...
On the other hand, the Razr is just $100 more expensive, and I need to buy two of them (one for my wife).

The Razr seems to have a higher quality case which would be good, but it also boasts extremely long battery performance. Looking at this site that compares the two directly, that doesn't even seem to be true - it talks about the S3 lasting 22h talking and 830h standby vs the Razr on 21h and 372h... (Samsung Galaxy S3 vs Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD).
And the Razr has a camera that is said to be substandard for phones these days.
Looking at the CPU and RAM, I'm again leaning towards the S3 (quad core with twice the RAM).

I use my current S1 for Gmail, web, various apps and also some games, so there's a few things I like doing that require a good amount of firepower.

So ... what would you suggest?

Specifically:
1. Are the battery life estimates on the site I listed accurate at all?
2. Does anyone know for sure if the sudden death syndrome of the S3 CAN be fixed at all by a firmware upgrade? (I've been following the news for a while and have yet to find anything definite on the subject)

I think I'd prefer the S3 if the sudden death issue can be fixed.

Renewal day is coming up in less than 2 weeks, so hopefully you guys can give me some good advice here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

charkzilla20

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Specifically:
1. Are the battery life estimates on the site I listed accurate at all?

A: NO. The battery estimations for all phones are basically BS. I get about 15 hours of regular use.

2. Does anyone know for sure if the sudden death syndrome of the S3 CAN be fixed at all by a firmware upgrade? (I've been following the news for a while and have yet to find anything definite on the subject)

A: I have a verizon s3 for 5 months and I haven't had any problems. I love it!

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the answer.

I think the sudden death issue happens after about 6 months, but I think only to 16GB models if I'm not mistaken...
It's also possible that an update was already released and installed on yours - but again, I have no clue if any of the stuff I've read so far is accurate at all...