Giving up unlimited

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
So I'm paying roughly $128 a month now. I use about 3GBs per month...more when my home internet goes out. I'm thinking of giving up my unlimited so that I can get a new phone and lower the bill to abotu $110 for 4GB. Now I just bought a Nexus and my plan is to tether to the new phone...but even if I did, I don't know that I would break 4GB with just email and internet surfing. I guess I'm at a crossroads - with so many trying to GET unlimited, I'd hate to give it up and then regret it. On the other hand - if I'm not using it, it might not be saving me anything...any advice or words of wisdom?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm at a crossroads - with so many trying to GET unlimited, I'd hate to give it up and then regret it. On the other hand - if I'm not using it, it might not be saving me anything...any advice or words of wisdom?
First, I would sell the unlimited line rather than giving it up if you can deal with changing your phone number.

$18/mo savings is not enough for me to give up unlimited. I like not having to think about how much data I use and my wifi at home is slower than my 4G LTE.

The other thing is I don't know what the future will bring in terms of data use so I keep it for that reason, too.

Can you use Google voice for texting and cut your bill that way?

Also, read the threads on this forum about ways to keep unlimited and use your upgrade. Basically you can add a line, get an iPhone on that line, put a dumbphone or ghost phone on that line and sell the iPhone to recoup the cost of the added line. Then transfer your upgrade from your unlimited data line to the added line and get the phone you want to keep, then activate a dumbphone/ghost phone on the line and switch the phone you want onto your unlimited data line. I have oversimplified it here as there is a whole other thread with detailed explanations that you can check out if you want to pursue this option.

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather not change the number...but selling the line is a great idea. I have seen the "ways to keep unlimited service" threads...they seem VERY complicated to me. Option 2 is always to just buy a phone straight out (I paid full price for a Thunderbolt) and be done with it. I was just thinking of saving money (both on the monthly bill and initial outlay). But you're right - in the scheme of things $18 doesn't seem all that bad. Thanks for the feedback!

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the "ways to keep unlimited service" threads...they seem VERY complicated to me.
It's not complicated, just takes some time. The problem if you are on an individual line is that to add a line you pay not only the $10 per month line charge, the minimum number of voice minutes is 700 rather than 450, which costs $20 more, and if you want unlimited texting, that adds another $10 since it is for both lines.

On the other thread, I explain the bestbuy.com possibility. Heck, a guy on that thread was able to convince a rep to switch him back to unlimited even though he bought in store at best buy. For some reason the rep believed him when he said he didn't pick the 2GB plan and didn't know he was giving up unlimited. So you can always try that if you do decide to upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Your other option is to "add a line" and just pay 9.99 + tax for that line. If you have a non smart phone ie env or something you can put a data block on that line. Verizon wont make you put the 2gb plan on it. Now u have unlimited, a extra line thats only costing you about $13 a month.

Then if you wanted you could sell your current phone to put towards the cancel fee on the line you just opened or just dragg it out.

I currently have 4 open lines 3 with unlimited and 1 with a dumb phone w/data block

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
a extra line thats only costing you about $13 a month.
Well, not quite if you are going from an individual plan to a family plan. First, if you want unlimited texting, it is $30 for a family plan as opposed to $20 for individual plan. Second, the lowest number of minutes you can have on a family plan is 700 whereas on an individual plan the lowest you can have is 450 minutes and the difference is another $20, but if you need 700 minutes that might not be a problem for you.

To look at it another way, the cheapest individual plan with 450 minutes and unlimited texting/data = $40 + $20 + $30 = $90. The cheapest family plan with 2 lines sharing 700 minutes and unlimited texting, unlimited data on 1 line and no data on the 2nd line = $70 + $30 + $30 = $130. So the difference is $40/month + taxes and fees.

There is a 550 minute loyalty family plan supposedly, but how you would get it, idk.

a dumb phone w/data block
How do you put a data block on a dumbphone line?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, not quite if you are going from an individual plan to a family plan. First, if you want unlimited texting, it is $30 for a family plan as opposed to $20 for individual plan. Second, the lowest number of minutes you can have on a family plan is 700 whereas on an individual plan the lowest you can have is 450 minutes and the difference is another $20, but if you need 700 minutes that might not be a problem for you.

To look at it another way, the cheapest individual plan with 450 minutes and unlimited texting/data = $40 + $20 + $30 = $90. The cheapest family plan with 2 lines sharing 700 minutes and unlimited texting, unlimited data on 1 line and no data on the 2nd line = $70 + $30 + $30 = $130. So the difference is $40/month + taxes and fees.

There is a 550 minute loyalty family plan supposedly, but how you would get it, idk.

How do you put a data block on a dumbphone line?

Didnt think about that if he wasnt on a family share plan already.

And you just call verizon and they will try to put you on like a 9.99mb plan and just tell them you dont want any data at all. Some multi media phones wont allow a data block but all of the env line up does.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I gave up unlimited back in October and have been saving money ever since. I needed the unlimited minutes for work, so it worked out. Last month was the first month I thought i would go over my 4gb so I went online and bumped it for the month. No biggie. The side benefit of unlimited minutes is that you can cancel your home phone and save more money there.

Just my .02.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I gave up unlimited back in October and have been saving money ever since. I needed the unlimited minutes for work, so it worked out. Last month was the first month I thought i would go over my 4gb so I went online and bumped it for the month. No biggie. The side benefit of unlimited minutes is that you can cancel your home phone and save more money there.

Just my .02.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Ditto.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2