Working at Verizon question

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I will be turning 17 this may and I was wondering what are the possibilities of getting employed at a verizon wireless retail store I know for a fact that my age might play a big factor on the decision but I actually know about phones I can tell you the differnce between cores and how much ram a phone has aswell as the processing chip and display I know how to root phones and I know how to use a computer because i am in a computer program at school I can diagnose problems and find solutions, once when my uncle upgrqded his line I remember he got the droid Eris now this was when android was new and the employee kept insisting if he wanted that phone because it was very high tech and if he had the abilities to use it and he said it over and over again now it seems all they do is read of a paper the specs do you think if I show what I'm capable of to verizon I will have a chance? I'm also billingual I can speak, write, and read spanish and english I speak both languages fluently, I'm not asking for any negative comments I'm just a kid asking for opinions because I love phones and I love working with them let me know what you think I appreciate.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Doubt they would hire because of experience, you also must be 18 because of the contract the customer has to sign..

Sent from my busa.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Go fill out an application. Won't cost you anything, and the interview and process are worth going through even if it doesn't work out for you yet.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I will be turning 17 this may and I was wondering what are the possibilities of getting employed at a verizon wireless retail store I know for a fact that my age might play a big factor on the decision but I actually know about phones I can tell you the differnce between cores and how much ram a phone has aswell as the processing chip and display I know how to root phones and I know how to use a computer because i am in a computer program at school I can diagnose problems and find solutions, once when my uncle upgrqded his line I remember he got the droid Eris now this was when android was new and the employee kept insisting if he wanted that phone because it was very high tech and if he had the abilities to use it and he said it over and over again now it seems all they do is read of a paper the specs do you think if I show what I'm capable of to verizon I will have a chance? I'm also billingual I can speak, write, and read spanish and english I speak both languages fluently, I'm not asking for any negative comments I'm just a kid asking for opinions because I love phones and I love working with them let me know what you think I appreciate.
With your talents you should start your own phone store as a Verizonwireless Premium Retailer anything would be better than working at a Verizonwireless Corporate Store. You deserve better.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
You have to be 18 and there has to be a job opening in the area for you to even put an application in for a job at Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gunshotlead

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You're not looking for negative comments. How about constructive criticism?

I've hired and managed for both customer facing and back office for a decade now; with mixed teams ranging from folks ready to retire to newly minted grads. My hope for you is that you can communicate better verbally than you can write. That was a very poorly written post, not counting the lack of punctuation.

Here's the deal, all other things being equal - if I have to choose between someone with good, solid communications skills and but knows little to nothing about the industry, versus someone who knows a lot about the subject, but can't effectively listen to the customer and communicate back that he understands their needs and wants - I will invariably pick the candidate who can talk to the customer. Why? Because unless the job really calls for some sort of professional certification, I can teach the guy who communicates well the nuts & bolts of business X whether it's selling phones or loans. I can't teach the guy who knows a lot about it how to shake the customer's hand firmly, look them in the eye, be able to express back to them accurately and succinctly what they're looking for and fit them with the right product. That's not just verbal either. They also need to be able to effectively communicate in written form. In this day and age of emails that could carry on for kilobytes, I need someone who can communicate Who What Where When How and Why, in a pleasant and personable manner. It's one sign that they have promotion potential.

So there you go. It's probably not what you're looking for, but if you want to know how to move forward, especially as a new entrant to the job market - you need to make an honest assessment of what your strengths and gaps are. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
With your talents you should start your own phone store as a Verizonwireless Premium Retailer anything would be better than working at a Verizonwireless Corporate Store. You deserve better.

Yes that would be great but I feel I need some experience first then later on I might take that into consideration thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
You have to be 18 and there has to be a job opening in the area for you to even put an application in for a job at Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

There is a job opening there's 2 actually

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
You're not looking for negative comments. How about constructive criticism?

I've hired and managed for both customer facing and back office for a decade now; with mixed teams ranging from folks ready to retire to newly minted grads. My hope for you is that you can communicate better verbally than you can write. That was a very poorly written post, not counting the lack of punctuation.

Here's the deal, all other things being equal - if I have to choose between someone with good, solid communications skills and but knows little to nothing about the industry, versus someone who knows a lot about the subject, but can't effectively listen to the customer and communicate back that he understands their needs and wants - I will invariably pick the candidate who can talk to the customer. Why? Because unless the job really calls for some sort of professional certification, I can teach the guy who communicates well the nuts & bolts of business X whether it's selling phones or loans. I can't teach the guy who knows a lot about it how to shake the customer's hand firmly, look them in the eye, be able to express back to them accurately and succinctly what they're looking for and fit them with the right product. That's not just verbal either. They also need to be able to effectively communicate in written form. In this day and age of emails that could carry on for kilobytes, I need someone who can communicate Who What Where When How and Why, in a pleasant and personable manner. It's one sign that they have promotion potential.

So there you go. It's probably not what you're looking for, but if you want to know how to move forward, especially as a new entrant to the job market - you need to make an honest assessment of what your strengths and gaps are. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Its exactly what I was looking for and I thank you for the advice and I can write pretty good because mainly those are my strenghts writing, I know maybe my writing wasn't the best in my original post but I can write good including puctuation and I have proved that with passing my state exams not only did I pass them but I exceeded them aswell, now verbally I can communicate successfully with other people because I have prepared for that by taking a speech class and literacy and with all due respect if you say you show your employees about phones yet I Have encountered many employees that have had to look up the anwsers to a question on google so I congratulate you in doing that but I don't think all recruiters have done What you do, now how do you feel about me being 17 do you think I can get a job if I perform at my absolute best and do you think being bilingual will help?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Specs mean nothing to most of your customers. Think about it, the iphone is one of the best selling phones ever.

Specs don't matter.

Also never try to just get someone the best phone, get them the best phone for them.

If they ask for a particular phone that's FREE or cheap, then don't try to sell them on a200$ phone. If they mention screen size or anything else take it into account. Look at the models that they eyeball. Ask few questions and do a lot of listening.

Be friendly yet aggressive. Be honest, many times a customer will respect you for telling the truth to them instead of merely telling them something for a sale.

This job isn't hard and it's GREAT money in it. You just have to be old enough and learn the ropes and as stated above communication is key.

Some people will tell you what they want without saying a word

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Specs mean nothing to most of your customers. Think about it, the iphone is one of the best selling phones ever.

Specs don't matter.

Also never try to just get someone the best phone, get them the best phone for them.

If they ask for a particular phone that's FREE or cheap, then don't try to sell them on a200$ phone. If they mention screen size or anything else take it into account. Look at the models that they eyeball. Ask few questions and do a lot of listening.

Be friendly yet aggressive. Be honest, many times a customer will respect you for telling the truth to them instead of merely telling them something for a sale.

This job isn't hard and it's GREAT money in it. You just have to be old enough and learn the ropes and as stated above communication is key.

Some people will tell you what they want without saying a word

Thanks man I appreciate it I will take in consideration all that every one has listed

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man I appreciate it I will take in consideration all that every one has listed

Even though your grammar is still all over the place I will give you a break. I believe you when you say that you're capable of writing a well structured paragraph because there is no real reason to lie. Please remember though that even though this is the internet its important for those who would like to offer help to you be able to understand you. No one has to be perfect but the use of punctuation and paragraphs (as opposed to a wall of text) go a long way in helping us understand your wants and needs. :)

Only reason I'm mentioning this is that you obviously appreciate critisism as long as its constructive. Good luck in your future endeavors. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Several people have made really good points to you, I suggest you heed them. Customer service is much more than knowing your product, it's your attitude, presence, presentation, and candor. I have met (and rejected) many sales reps in retail stores because they tried to steamroll me with their knowledge, and instead came off as a blowhard. make sure that when/if you get an interview, you don't sound too cocky. you need to research the internet for tips on interviewing, it's a very fine art, and very easy to screw up. I'm sure YouTube has videos to help you with this, but there are tons of books out there on the are of interviewing. your first impression to the interviewer is going to be really big on if you get the job, whether it be verizon or anywhere else. good luck to you, and listen to the advice given.

Capthowdyy

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I wish I were 17 again. You should set your sights higher. Verizon is a corporate giant and the most you may become is a disposable peon. Why be a slave to the giant? Set your sites higher. Be an entrepreneur, self employed. Start your own business, be your own boss, come up with new and fresh ideas for your business, not so verizon can capitalize off your efforts with a tiny compensation and just a "thank you".
Set your sights higher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I wish I were 17 again. You should set your sights higher. Verizon is a corporate giant and the most you may become is a disposable peon. Why be a slave to the giant? Set your sites higher. Be an entrepreneur, self employed. Start your own business, be your own boss, come up with new and fresh ideas for your business, not so verizon can capitalize off your efforts with a tiny compensation and just a "thank you".
Set your sights higher.

it's only tiny in comparison to company earnings. If you are a great salesman you can make great money

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Even though your grammar is still all over the place I will give you a break. I believe you when you say that you're capable of writing a well structured paragraph because there is no real reason to lie. Please remember though that even though this is the internet its important for those who would like to offer help to you be able to understand you. No one has to be perfect but the use of punctuation and paragraphs (as opposed to a wall of text) go a long way in helping us understand your wants and needs. :)

Only reason I'm mentioning this is that you obviously appreciate critisism as long as its constructive. Good luck in your future endeavors. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Exactly there is no point for me to lie and thank you for your advice and I understand that I should write better even if its just on the internet.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
it's only tiny in comparison to company earnings. If you are a great salesman you can make great money

Set your sights higher.

not to be a killjoy, but ask all of those people who have tried to go up against the corporate giant "Walmart". in this day and age, it's hard to start up a profitable business, especially at his age. depending on his disposable finances, not to mention how saturated the smartphone industry is, it could be a flop before he started. 20-25 years ago, what you suggest would be more feasible, but not today. as the hustleman said, you can be a Kick a** sales rep and make a lot of money for a corporate giant like verizon. it's just a matter of right place, right time. ultimately, it's the OP's decision, but he needs to be realistic.

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Several people have made really good points to you, I suggest you heed them. Customer service is much more than knowing your product, it's your attitude, presence, presentation, and candor. I have met (and rejected) many sales reps in retail stores because they tried to steamroll me with their knowledge, and instead came off as a blowhard. make sure that when/if you get an interview, you don't sound too cocky. you need to research the internet for tips on interviewing, it's a very fine art, and very easy to screw up. I'm sure YouTube has videos to help you with this, but there are tons of books out there on the are of interviewing. your first impression to the interviewer is going to be really big on if you get the job, whether it be verizon or anywhere else. good luck to you, and listen to the advice given.

Yes I get what your saying and I understand that I need to be able to understand the customer in order for me to be a successful representative and its jot all just spec wise.

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Set your sights higher.

Thay is exactly what I'm thinking of, creating my own business but I want to work at verizon in order to see what it takes to manage a company and get some experience in the retail industry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol