Sign this petition! End Verizon Contracts!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As much as I want Verizon to switch to a T-Mobile-like business model, I would want the market to force that change, rather than a petition.

Good luck with that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I pay $43 for my line with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, and $21 for my dumb phone lines. I bought a note 2 on one of my dumb phone lines for $37. A new note 2 runs $700. Even factoring the upgrade fee, the subsidy on my dumb phone line is $26 a month in this case, meaning, based on the carrier subsidy and non subsidized price, Verizon is losing $5 a month in that line. Now, it isn't a real loss since Verizon didn't actually pay $700 for the phone.

I am paying $150 for 5 lines of service, 2 smartphones, 3 dumb phones. If the carrier subsidy was worth $26 per line the subsidy would be $130, meaning that the in subsidized cost would have to be $20 for 5 lines of service total. That isn't going to happen ever. Even if you were to take a more modest $15 per line subsidy, the would be $75 in subsidies for my 5 lines and $75 for 5 lines of service. Which isn't going to happen as tmo true unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE plan is $70 for one line no subsidy. So no, I am not going to sign the petition, unless it explicitly states a plan. Otherwise, Verizon may end contracts, but only lower the price of the plan slightly so as to make it cost more than a plan with subsidies

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not to threadcrap, as I think the petition is admirable, but if I can leverage the fact that I am in a contract to retain my unlimited data, I'll do it. If everyone suddenly had no contract and was paying full price for their device, I think it would be much easier for Verizon to find a way to end unlimited grandfathered data.

Of course, many people don't have this problem, since VZW hasn't offered Unlimited Data for almost 2 years. However, for those that have it, it is truly the best product out there, since AT&T throttles and Sprint and TMobile have inferior networks. There is always a chance i would keep them without unlimited data, but there is an even greater chance that I would at least take a look at other carriers.

The most data I've used was 20 GB a couple months ago when I was on vacation. I would never use that much on a tiered plan, so it's silly if Verizon thinks they are missing their chance to cash in if they remove my unlimited data. If they did, I would simply cut my usage and stay under 2 GB per month, as I normally do anyway.

I'm not a network engineer, but I have to wonder how much strain unlimited users are really placing on the network, since their are fewer and fewer everyday and 4G, by design, is able to handle more traffic.

Hopefully, Verizon will take the mindset that even though some customers are less profitable than others, they are still profitable. It may sound weird, but if and when Verizon gets rid of contracts, I will probably upgrade a few lines to lock myself in before the change.

Assuming I have unlimited data and can retain it, I don't view a contract as a negative since I plan to be with Big Red for the foreseeable future.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have seen 4GLTE networks overloaded already so it is a problem now. In some cases, it is better to switch over to 3g, in my personal experience.

With regard to contracts, I am sure that there are still people who still keep their phones for longer than two years.

Beside ignorance, many people chose a two year contract over a one year contract when they were available, just to save as little as $30.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
getting rid of contracts is a win win situation, theres no bad to it that I can see because you basically pay for your whole phone anyways since its built into your monthly price.
What makes you think that Verizon is going to lower their monthly price by getting rid of contracts?

No contracts + lower monthly price would be a win-win for the consumer and a lose-lose for Verizon, so why would they even consider doing both?

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well T-Mobile did it, wouldn't they want to keep up with the competition? If T-Mobile had lte in my town, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The negative to the contract is that you keep paying for your phone after the 2 years is up.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well T-Mobile did it, wouldn't they want to keep up with the competition? If T-Mobile had lte in my town, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Be careful what you ask for. Verizon is following suit in offering payment plans. A iPhone 5 would be $650+$30 finance charge for $680 total with one year financing (max offered). Tmo iPhone 5 is $580 with free 2 year financing. So difference is $100 there plus the extra year of financing. Something tells me that even if Verizon implemented uncarrier plans like tmo, that somehow they would find a way to screw us...

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The negative to the contract is that you keep paying for your phone after the 2 years is up.

You are right, but Verizon for me is cheaper based on the plan alone and Verizon has subsidized phones. For Verizon i would pay $140,tmo I would pay $170. Factoring in the subsidy cost, I would be paying $245 for tmo vs $140 for Verizon. Both prices do not include taxes and discounts.

Of course, everyone has different needs, so your cost may be different and tmo may be cheaper for you.

I also suspect that anyone on unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE won't be allowed to maintain it off they move to any new plan

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
For me it would cost about $10 less per month have two lines with a Nexus 4 on each with T-Mobile as it would for me to stick with Verizon. To me the savings of $10 a month is not worth switching to less coverage. At least at this point... That could change once T-Mobile gets better coverage.

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Have you seen VZW quarterly numbers? As soon as folks realize T-Mobile Is **** they come back to VZW. Also if VZW goes that route they'll find a way to jack customers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Look at T-Mobile's numbers.

Now look at Verizon's numbers.

Who's trying to keep up with who?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Look at T-Mobile's numbers.

Now look at Verizon's numbers.

Who's trying to keep up with who?

Verizon gained about 700k subscribers postpaid in q1,tmo lost about 200k subscribers postpaid. Which is a good improvement over the tmo Q4 2012 postpaid losses of about 500k.in comparison, Verizon gained about 2m subscribers during that time period

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1