Change in Assumption of Liability Policy - No Longer Truncate the Contract to 1 year?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
All good points you make. I definitely will consider my options later in the year. Thanks !
you are welcome! The ETF may be cheaper than keeping the added line depending on the taxes and fees where you live. Of course if it is, you keep the line active long enough to transfer all of your unlimited data line upgrades then terminate it and pay the ETF.

Where I live it is a wash. Paying for the line is only a couple of dollars cheaper than the ETF so I kept it and put a cheap basic phone on it and now have a spare phone if I need it.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Since you brought the Alltel plans from before up, is it possible to use those plans with current Verizon phones such as the lte phones or has anyone recently been able to convert their alltel plan to a current plan ? I know in the past they could but doubtful now I suppose

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Since you brought the Alltel plans from before up, is it possible to use those plans with current Verizon phones such as the lte phones or has anyone recently been able to convert their alltel plan to a current plan ? I know in the past they could but doubtful now I suppose
I don't see why there would be a problem. My mom's iPhone 4S was a 3G phone with 3G unlimited data nationwide plan and when I put the 4G LTE iPhone 5 on it, she kept unlimited data. Is that what you meant?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly. The Alltel plans were different plans in itself even different from the Verizon 3G plans so they are treated differently especially since Verizon has long been phasing them out if they haven't already. But I came across a person who still has two Alltel unlimited lines and he offered them to me but a Verizon rep said they couldn't be added to my family plan without converting it to a current plan. Ive been trying to see if it's definitely impossible to find a workaround or if someone has done like you said and has that plan and just did an equipment swap online or something and had success.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Edit: I've been looking to keep the two lines separate but use a current Verizon phone. The rep I spoke with said it couldn't be done.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
But I came across a person who still has two Alltel unlimited lines and he offered them to me but a Verizon rep said they couldn't be added to my family plan without converting it to a current plan.
As far as I know, when you add a line to your family plan under an AOL, the new line will have the same terms as the family plan it has been added to. The only way to keep the Alltel plans would be to keep them separate plans.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
In doing so would those plans be compatible with current Verizon phones ?
I am not sure I understand. I thought when Verizon acquired most of Alltel's assets, those customers were now Verizon customers even though Verizon allowed them to keep the terms of their Alltel plans. But the acquired assets were now part of the Verizon network and whatever needed to be done to integrate the networks was done. And those plans are now Verizon plans, they just have the Alltel terms. Perhaps I don't understand how it all was integrated, though.

I know that Verizon was not allowed to acquire all of Alltel's assets and/or had to divest some of them and ATT picked up some and is in the process of picking up the rest.

You should start a new thread on this.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Really, why?

I just called and was told the AOL policy has not changed. They will continue to truncate the contracts > 1 year down to 1 year when you do an AOL. However, the upgrade dates stay the same.

Did you call the regular customer service department or the AOL department? I would love to get my 19 month contract down to 12 months.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you call the regular customer service department or the AOL department? I would love to get my 19 month contract down to 12 months.
Regular. She put me on hold and said she was reviewing the policies.

I will try AOL tomorrow, as I think they are open only during regular business hours.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. If AOL confirms that the contracts are still truncated, I owe you a beer. I want to get my contract reduced!
I spoke to a regular rep again today. They said they did change the policy on the 21st - they no longer truncate the contract lengths. She gave me a 1-888 number for the AOL department but I can't get a rep on the line without typing in a phone number that I want to assume liability on.

I wonder why they didn't announce that change like they announced the upgrade changes?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The truncation policy I don't believe was ever officially stated anywhere.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, so they just make it up as they go!

To be honest, I can't really blame them. It was a loophole to get a one year contract. Basically, you could start a new account with them, get a phone, then immediately assume that line into your family line, so now that line has essentially a one year contract. After a year, simply cancel that line, and repeat. You can do this on any family plan line, so long as you don't mind getting a new phone # (i.e. use Google voice or dumb phone )

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I can't really blame them. It was a loophole to get a one year contract. Basically, you could start a new account with them, get a phone, then immediately assume that line into your family line, so now that line has essentially a one year contract. After a year, simply cancel that line, and repeat. You can do this on any family plan line, so long as you don't mind getting a new phone # (i.e. use Google voice or dumb phone )
Yeah, it gave you the ability to get yearly upgrades!

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Does this effect in any way the loophole of transferring a upgrade to a non unlimited line and using that line to get a subsidized phone etc ?? Thanks