Unlimited Data

manderson904

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Here comes another question about keeping the unlimited data...

So I upgraded my Husband's phone last weekend at Best Buy, and of course lost the unlimited data. I just stumbled unto the threads about keeping your unlimited data and want to see if I can possibly do this myself.

We have two lines with unlimited data on both. No dummy lines. Here's what I was thinking we could do.
1) Buy flip phone off ebay
2) Return Husband's new Galaxy S3 phone and get back his unlimited data (since I am still within the 14 day window).
3) Reactivate his old iPhone on his current line
4) Add a new line with the Galaxy S3 and activate it. Get a $30.00 2G data.
5) Activate the flip phone on the new line and turn this into a dummy line (this will automatically drop the 2G data plan)
6) Activate the Galaxy S3 on Husband's line.

My current line has a renewal available July 2nd, which I was planning on using to get the S4. At that point I can transfer my upgrade to the dummy line and do the above process again. If by then Verizon no longer allows to transfer upgrades between lines, I would add another line and keep 2 dummy lines for upgrades.

Do I have that right?

I have read a bunch of threads on this today, but I want to make sure I am "getting" this.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you've got it, just make sure they do put the unlimited data on your line like they are supposed to. One thing to note is that you'll have 3 upgrades floating around; your two current lines plus the subsidized phone through the new dummy line. Some people have used that third upgrade to buy an iPhone and then sell the iPhone to recoup the costs of having that extra line on their plan. It depends on if you want to go through the trouble of selling the iPhone or not whether it's worth it to you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to buy a flip phone, you can use a dummy phone (no physical phone) on the new line after you move the new smartphone off the line.

Other than that, it looks good.

When transferring the upgrade from the unlimited line, make sure to activate the phone on the non unlimited line.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

manderson904

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response guys! I am going to do this ASAP!

You don't have to buy a flip phone, you can use a dummy phone (no physical phone)
Can you elaborate on this? Where do I get the information to activate this dummy phone? (like the numbers on the back of the phone).

manderson904

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually I googled and this is what I got from another forum:

You could always use the dummy ESN number which is 13800111111. This dummy esn is usually used by VZW CSR's when someone wants a line to stay active without a phone. This would work, right?

manderson904

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
So this switch isn't something I can do online?

Can they do it for me at Best Buy? Or am I better off doing the return and adding a new line at Best Buy and calling to activate the dummy line with Customer Service? I was just going to ask the guy at Best Buy for an extra SIM card.

By the way, thanks mesocyclonic for pointing out about the 3rd upgrade.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So this switch isn't something I can do online?
I tried doing it online and wasn't able to. dpham00 did it by calling and having them do it over the phone.

So you could call and have the ghost ESN put on the dumbphone line and then hang up and switch the new phone to your unlimited data line online. Once they put the ghost ESN on your dumbphone line, you can activate the new phone on your unlimited data line online.

manderson904

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE- So we went to BB and had them reverse the upgrade and added a new line on the Galaxy. Of course Verizon gave me a bunch of crap about not being able to get back the unlimited. I was on the phone for a bit with CS and she finally agreed to appeal it. Then she went on and on about how it wasn't guaranteed. That was Friday. I just checked my account and the unlimited is BACK on the account.

So now I need to activate the Ghost ESN. When I call them back, what do I say? That I want to put the new line on hold and to use the Ghost ESN? Or do I say that I want to activate this phone and just give the Ghost ESN number?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE- So we went to BB and had them reverse the upgrade and added a new line on the Galaxy. Of course Verizon gave me a bunch of crap about not being able to get back the unlimited. I was on the phone for a bit with CS and she finally agreed to appeal it. Then she went on and on about how it wasn't guaranteed. That was Friday. I just checked my account and the unlimited is BACK on the account.

So now I need to activate the Ghost ESN. When I call them back, what do I say? That I want to put the new line on hold and to use the Ghost ESN? Or do I say that I want to activate this phone and just give the Ghost ESN number?

Just tell them that you have no physical phone on the line, so you want to put a dummy phone on the line. If they are confused, give them the dummy phone esn. If they are still confused just hang up and call back.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech